The Student Room Group

I visited a mosque for the first time today, AMA!

I don't plan on converting to Islam, but one of my friends who is Muslim wanted me to see for myself what it's like at a mosque, so being a good friend, I thought I'd return the favor they did me by taking an interest in things I do they wouldn't normally have had any interest in.

I arrived at 5:45 in the morning for the sunrise prayer and I was very nervous as I entered and took my shoes off, then made my way upstairs to the prayer room, still feeling very

I received a very warm welcome from the group who were already upstairs and although I couldn't understand a word of what was being said in the prayer, it felt oddly relaxing and as if I was a million miles away from the outside world sitting there listening to a prayer I couldn't understand the words to.

Once the prayer was over, one of the guys in the prayer group approached me and introduced himself and I introduced myself too. He took me for a tour around the mosque, and gave me a timetable for the prayer times and said he'd expect I'd come again tomorrow.

I probably won't come back, but it was a real eye opener seeing for myself what it's like inside a mosque, especially whilst a prayer is taking place.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That was very thoughtful of you, InshAllah you find whatever it is that waits for you ☺️
Original post by malihas
That was very thoughtful of you, InshAllah you find whatever it is that waits for you ☺️

May I ask, are you a Muslim? :smile:
what were your opinions of Islam before you visited the mosque
Original post by Prussianxo
what were your opinions of Islam before you visited the mosque

I didn't really have any, if I'm honest. (But nothing against it either).
Have you seen the baitul futuh centre in morden?
I visited it as a child, the ahmadiyya community are very friendly hosts for visitors and school tours.
Yes.
The mta uk studio looked amazing, voi radio is very advanced too.
More high tech than pinewood studios.
I hear some megachurches in the us have also chosen the live broadcasts & tv channel route to accommodate a global audience.
Original post by londonmyst
Have you seen the baitul futuh centre in morden?
I visited it as a child, the ahmadiyya community are very friendly hosts for visitors and school tours.

:nah:

I'm pleased at how warmly this discussion is going.

I just hope my family never find out I visited a mosque, otherwise they might think I'm up to something, despite them saying they have nothing against Islam. :frown:
Reply 8
Was it busy?
The first time I went there were so many people, probably because it was during the day, and on a Friday
Original post by Megxn0
Was it busy?
The first time I went there were so many people, probably because it was during the day, and on a Friday

As it was early in the morning, there were only five others.
I hear sometimes the radio centre is included in the september open house london two day event.
You might be lucky this year, the next one is 21-22 September 2019.

Modern technology can be so impressive, harnessing a tremendous potential to facilitate very high speed travel of positive messages and videos.
Original post by Unexpectedly
:nah:

I'm pleased at how warmly this discussion is going.

I just hope my family never find out I visited a mosque, otherwise they might think I'm up to something, despite them saying they have nothing against Islam. :frown:

I get it, my father is a loud militant atheist. :rolleyes:
But I doubt your family would mind at all.
London is a vibrant multicultural city that welcomes everyone and values religious pluralism.
Same applies to most of the uk.
Your parents welcome your friends, many communities welcome you and you welcome them.

I've also visited dozens of churches, the neasden hindu temple, sri guru singh gudwara, scientology hq in queen victory st and few liberal synagogues.
Beautiful architecture, so much gorgeous craftsmanship and wonderful hospitality.
My best friend is a follower of the shia islamic sect led by the aga khan, I'm catholic.
With the perception that many people have of Islam, what comes through the media et cetera (a negative perception), were you at all 'scared' of going into the Mosque?
In what way was it an eye opener ?
When i was younger, there was a school trip to a mosque and this kids dad who was christian complained to the school that a Christian school shouldn't have a trip to a mosque. I didn't go, I can't remember why, hence my question above.
What if algebra teachers are just pirates and they're using us to find ''x'' so they can find the treasure?
Original post by Laminae
With the perception that many people have of Islam, what comes through the media et cetera (a negative perception), were you at all 'scared' of going into the Mosque?

A little bit, yes, but after I said it's my first time in one, I wasn't scared.

Original post by NotNotBatman
In what way was it an eye opener ?
When i was younger, there was a school trip to a mosque and this kids dad who was christian complained to the school that a Christian school shouldn't have a trip to a mosque. I didn't go, I can't remember why, hence my question above.

That feeling I mentioned earlier of being far away from the outside world was the eye opening part for me.
Original post by JoshDarnIt
What if algebra teachers are just pirates and they're using us to find ''x'' so they can find the treasure?

Then I'd keep all the treasure for myself. :sly:
Reply 17
Yes I am Muslim :smile:
Original post by malihas
Yes I am Muslim :smile:

Cool. :h: Born in the UK or somewhere like Pakistan?
Reply 19
Original post by Unexpectedly
Cool. :h: Born in the UK or somewhere like Pakistan?

Nope I was born in the UK 🇬🇧

Quick Reply

Latest