The Student Room Group

Got rejected from uni.

I applied to do a business course at uni and got rejected from 3 unis, one being university o east London and two from university of Greenwich. So I spoke to my friends about it and they said why not go through clearing. So I'm thinking if i go through clearing I'll try media studies, I have a YouTube channel and want to learn how to edit the right way. So my question is, does uni teach media, editing etc or not and if so is it worth me applying through clearing and would I have more of a chance getting in this way or should I not bother? As right now I'm in college doing a functional skills course and I only have till June till I finish. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Hope to hear from you guys soon.
OK, let's try and break this down. First of all, do you have any feedback from the universities that rejected you on why you were rejected? Was it your grades, our personal statement, what was off? Secondly, I'm a bit confused that you applied to do business studies and now want to apply for media studies - what is the long term goal here? In all honesty, having a YouTube channel no more qualifies you for Media Studies degree any more than having a library card qualifies you for an English Literature degree. My advice is to take these rejections as an opportunity to regroup, and consider what it is you really want. There are plenty of opportunities to learn how to edit online videos which do not entail going to university. Think about what it is you are aiming for in the longer term, and then go and get some informed advice in achieving that. That might mean you do more A levels, or gain work experience somewhere, or just polish up your personal statement. But do not just jump at anything. University is expensive nowadays, and you do not want to make such an expensive mistake. good luck.
Reply 2
Thanks for getting back to me. University can't tell you why you was rejected, so they day and it's ok. Yes I applied for business stuxie8 but as for media studies I'm keeping my options open as but your right university is expensive and isn't right for everyone. Thank you you have answered the question I need to know.
Original post by LiyoS
OK, let's try and break this down. First of all, do you have any feedback from the universities that rejected you on why you were rejected? Was it your grades, our personal statement, what was off? Secondly, I'm a bit confused that you applied to do business studies and now want to apply for media studies - what is the long term goal here? In all honesty, having a YouTube channel no more qualifies you for Media Studies degree any more than having a library card qualifies you for an English Literature degree. My advice is to take these rejections as an opportunity to regroup, and consider what it is you really want. There are plenty of opportunities to learn how to edit online videos which do not entail going to university. Think about what it is you are aiming for in the longer term, and then go and get some informed advice in achieving that. That might mean you do more A levels, or gain work experience somewhere, or just polish up your personal statement. But do not just jump at anything. University is expensive nowadays, and you do not want to make such an expensive mistake. good luck.
Original post by jfbristol1
Thanks for getting back to me. University can't tell you why you was rejected, so they day and it's ok. Yes I applied for business stuxie8 but as for media studies I'm keeping my options open as but your right university is expensive and isn't right for everyone. Thank you you have answered the question I need to know.

If you request feedback in writing then most universities will explain why you were rejected.

Greenwhich: “Due to the large volumes of applications we receive, we are unable to provide feedback to unsuccessful applicants routinely. However, we will provide general
feedback to unsuccessful applicants upon request. Requests should be directed to [email protected] and should be received within 30 days of the University’s communication of the unsuccessful decision. The University aims to respond to requests for feedback within 10 working days”

UEL: “3.7.3 If an application is rejected, the reasons for rejection will not be provided automatically. Any applicant seeking reasons for rejection or interview feedback, should contact the Admissions team or the Graduate School for Research Masters, MPhil or PhD programmes in the first instance. Applicants will receive a response to their feedback request within ten working days of receipt of the request. The University does not respond to requests for feedback from third parties. Applicants can speak to the Admissions team or the Graduate School for advice and guidance regarding their qualifications and experience that will lead to a successful course application in the future.”
Reply 4
Thanks for this. But it's too late to request feedback now as it's a lot more than 30days since I got rejected. It's ok, I just need to see what else I can do. Plus Greenwich university also says that you will no longer be consider for the business course once rejected from it at the beginning. This is why o was thinking of doing a different course. But as I say, it's ok. Thank you for your help.
Original post by PQ
If you request feedback in writing then most universities will explain why you were rejected.

Greenwhich: “Due to the large volumes of applications we receive, we are unable to provide feedback to unsuccessful applicants routinely. However, we will provide general
feedback to unsuccessful applicants upon request. Requests should be directed to [email protected] and should be received within 30 days of the University’s communication of the unsuccessful decision. The University aims to respond to requests for feedback within 10 working days”

UEL: “3.7.3 If an application is rejected, the reasons for rejection will not be provided automatically. Any applicant seeking reasons for rejection or interview feedback, should contact the Admissions team or the Graduate School for Research Masters, MPhil or PhD programmes in the first instance. Applicants will receive a response to their feedback request within ten working days of receipt of the request. The University does not respond to requests for feedback from third parties. Applicants can speak to the Admissions team or the Graduate School for advice and guidance regarding their qualifications and experience that will lead to a successful course application in the future.”
a media studies degree is a wideeeee branch. there are so many different sub topics you really need a clear idea of what specifically you want to do and my best advice is once you know what to do get in touch with some universities to see if their course is suitable. just because the courses have the same title doesn't mean they teach the same content x

good luck with whatever degree you decide to do
Reply 6
(Original post by liv_mae27 Thank you for this. This helps a lot, as I was just looking at media and communication at Greenwich university which seems like the course for me. But my question now is, do they teach media as in practical hands on or do they only just focus on the communication part and the media doesn't come into it? I'm going to the open day in June 29th to find out more. But I just like to know if anyone is on this course to advice me if if it's worth it or not. Like I say I might not go uni as keeping options open. )just wanna be sure if I'm doing the right thing for me, as I know a few people at Greenwich uni and well let's just say, keeping options fully open.
Thanks again for taking your time out of your busy studies to help me in this matter. Oh I not sure why I didn't mention that I'm 35years old. I did ask about applying as a mature student through UCAs. But for whatever reason I couldn't.a media studies degree is a wideeeee branch. there are so many different sub topics you really need a clear idea of what specifically you want to do and my best advice is once you know what to do get in touch with some universities to see if their course is suitable. just because the courses have the same title doesn't mean they teach the same content x

good luck with whatever degree you decide to do
Hey,
Yeah I would say it's worth a shot going through clearing but I would do a bit of research about the type of degree you want to study. As you were initially applying for a business course, would you not want to try and go through clearing to do business?
I'm currently a Media and Communications student at Bournemouth University and I would say that there isn't a specific course (not at my uni anyway) that teaches just editing however there are courses such as Media Production where you will get the chance to work with cameras and practice your editing skills etc.
My advice would be to think about what course you would really like to study at uni and then google what unis offer that course. From there, I would attend some open days and get as much info about the course. Continue working on your Youtube channel because this will add to your portfolio and will be great to mention in your application.
Hope this helps,
Alice :smile:
Original post by jfbristol1
I applied to do a business course at uni and got rejected from 3 unis, one being university o east London and two from university of Greenwich. So I spoke to my friends about it and they said why not go through clearing. So I'm thinking if i go through clearing I'll try media studies, I have a YouTube channel and want to learn how to edit the right way. So my question is, does uni teach media, editing etc or not and if so is it worth me applying through clearing and would I have more of a chance getting in this way or should I not bother? As right now I'm in college doing a functional skills course and I only have till June till I finish. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Hope to hear from you guys soon.
Reply 8
Hello Alice.

Hope you are well, thank you for your reply. I was told by ICSA That once you get reject from the course you applied for you will no longer be considered for that course. Which means even if you go through cleaning you wont be allowed to appl8for that course as you have be rej9for it already. Which is understandable. So I thought I'd try a different course. Keep options open. I've got 2 open days coming up. One next Wednesday at University of East London, based in Straford and on the 29th June at Greenwich university. I've has a look at Cornwall, but they don't seem to do any media studies there. Which I've never heard of a uni not doing it before.
I'll keep working on my channel as I love working for myself and being productive. O do two videos a week. Demanding, but I love doing it.

Jfbristol1
Have you also considered taking a look at UCAS Extra? I agree with the other comments though, use this as an opportunity to brainstorm exactly what you want to study as the uni's will want to see your reasoning throughout the application process.

Good Luck

Vicki
Reply 10
In all honesty, this advice you gave is wonderful. It's great to see people helping each other even if it means shaping their thoughts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending