The Student Room Group

Mum forcing me to take car to uni

I start uni in September and my mum is forcing me because she keeps saying that she bought it and she said its ungrateful if I dont take it because what was the point of buying it.

My dad doesn't care what I do but I need help please because I dont want to take my car and even though she said she'll pay for fuel and stuff I dont want to drive at uni!!! What do I say to her??

Scroll to see replies

#Spoiltkidproblems
Diddums. If you have somewhere to park it then great, why would it ever be a negative?!
Reply 3
Honestly it's not that I'm spoilt , she just wants me to take it but I don't because I know I wint be driving much and it's a £800 car, far from spoilt

Original post by Apachecow
Diddums. If you have somewhere to park it then great, why would it ever be a negative?!
Original post by Anonymous
I start uni in September and my mum is forcing me because she keeps saying that she bought it and she said its ungrateful if I dont take it because what was the point of buying it.

My dad doesn't care what I do but I need help please because I dont want to take my car and even though she said she'll pay for fuel and stuff I dont want to drive at uni!!! What do I say to her??

Have you worked out where you will park it?

Will you have a parking space available for your car at your accommodation?
Reply 6
Yes I assume there'll be space and she said she will pay for the parking fees, fuel etc. But I dont want to being it that's the thing. I know I pay nothing but I still dint need it tbh as most shops are 5 min walk. So what am I supposed to say
Original post by cheesecakelove
Will you have a parking space available for your car at your accommodation?

Original post by 999tigger
Have you worked out where you will park it?
firstly, depending on where you actually study, a car will be really useful for social outings, sports clubs and activity societies, and surprise surprise- foodshopping.

This is assuming your Unoversity isnt extremely urban and in the heart of a city centre. In whvih case, you dont need one. But otherwise, rural or suburban, youll probably need a car, and if not, will come in handy.

Also, if your social skills are really bad, it might help you make friends. On the flip side, people might just use you for your car, so hopefully you make friends with the right people.Sounds like your Mum is a bit emotionally manipulative of you, perhaps she herself is a bit mentally unhinged. But until you get your own place, your own job, your own life- what can you do? If youre living off your parents (like most uni students), you dont have the right to criticise them as they are still providing for you.

The key here then, is to become a negotiator and develop your diplomacy skills when dealing with family politics.
On the one hand, youre an adult, they should respect that. On the other hand, youre still relying on them, which you need to bare in mind.In short, go to uni, make some friends and take the car with you, it will come in handy. (unless youre in a city)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
just take it if she insists and you have somewhere safe to park it (can get parking permit from local council if its a private house). you will be able to do weekly grocery shops much easier, maybe take a little roadtrip with your uni friends to a place nearby and just put your bag in the boot and drive home for holidays instead of getting a packed train.
Just stop fighting it *shrug*
you total scumbag. you know nothing about this person but because youve got a chip on your shoulder instead of reading between the lines and offeeing advice, you just were spiteful towards them. Grow up.

Just take it along and park it somewhere. You never know when you'll need it and I doubt people will mock you for driving a sh*t car unless you're one of them prestigious types...

But if you're really insistent on the matter: you can bring up limited car park spaces/first years aren't allowed to park on campus/no parking spaces in your accommodation/high price for yearly parking permit/area is known for vandalism
Original post by Snazzyzebra
you total scumbag. you know nothing about this person but because youve got a chip on your shoulder instead of reading between the lines and offeeing advice, you just were spiteful towards them. Grow up.

Do one, I've got no reason to be jealous of someone with an £800 car when I've got a nearly £9000 watch sitting on my wrist LMAO
Okay so you guys recommend taking it but only using it important things such as societies and shopping? Problem is that we'll be paying for it to be parked majority of time as ì know I won't drive every day.

Or should I continue to convince her that it's best we keep the car at home?
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
Just take it along and park it somewhere. You never know when you'll need it and I doubt people will mock you for driving a sh*t car unless you're one of them prestigious types...

But if you're really insistent on the matter: you can bring up limited car park spaces/first years aren't allowed to park on campus/no parking spaces in your accommodation/high price for yearly parking permit/area is known for vandalism

Original post by pandoma
just take it if she insists and you have somewhere safe to park it (can get parking permit from local council if its a private house). you will be able to do weekly grocery shops much easier, maybe take a little roadtrip with your uni friends to a place nearby and just put your bag in the boot and drive home for holidays instead of getting a packed train.

Original post by Snazzyzebra
firstly, depending on where you actually study, a car will be really useful for social outings, sports clubs and activity societies, and surprise surprise- foodshopping.

This is assuming your Unoversity isnt extremely urban and in the heart of a city centre. In whvih case, you dont need one. But otherwise, rural or suburban, youll probably need a car, and if not, will come in handy.

Also, if your social skills are really bad, it might help you make friends. On the flip side, people might just use you for your car, so hopefully you make friends with the right people.Sounds like your Mum is a bit emotionally manipulative of you, perhaps she herself is a bit mentally unhinged. But until you get your own place, your own job, your own life- what can you do? If youre living off your parents (like most uni students), you dont have the right to criticise them as they are still providing for you.

The key here then, is to become a negotiator and develop your diplomacy skills when dealing with family politics.
On the one hand, youre an adult, they should respect that. On the other hand, youre still relying on them, which you need to bare in mind.In short, go to uni, make some friends and take the car with you, it will come in handy. (unless youre in a city)
Yes I assume there'll be space and she said she will pay for the parking fees, fuel etc. But I dont want to being it that's the thing. I know I pay nothing but I still dint need it tbh as most shops are 5 min walk. So what am I supposed to say

Well we have no idea where, but parking space tend to be limited to non existent. Also if you intend to take it to uni you could also have an issue.

Why not tell your mother you will go first half term without and if you think it can work you will take it then? U think its an issue lots of students would like to have.
As I said, I'm not claiming to be rich. I dont care how cheap my car is because I'm still a student
How much will it be in terms of parking fees, and if you aren't going to use the car much, is this just wasted money?

Depending on where you are studying, things like shops or lecture halls and uni facilities can be a short distance away, easy to walk. It might help to save money if you leave the car at home and when you are uni, walk everywhere or use cheap public transport when needed.
Do you envision yourself using the car a lot? Is your university city based or more rural?
As I said, I'm not claiming to be rich. I dont care how cheap my car is because I'm still a student
Okay so you guys recommend taking it but only using it important things such as societies and shopping? Problem is that we'll be paying for it to be parked majority of time as ì know I won't drive every day.

Or should I continue to convince her that it's best we keep the car at home?

You've already got a car + insured + taxed it. (that's a sh*t tonne of money gone there). The uni parking permit tends to be between £50-£180 depending on the uni (not much considering it's for the year). Fuel cost is negligible if your car has good mpg and you don't drive much in general. If your uni is in London tho... get ready to pay for Emission zone charges (£12.50/day).

In essence the only thing that really matters would be emission zone charges that would make driving the car to uni not worth it.
No I won't use it much and its city based. I tried to tell my mum this but she still says I should take my car :confused: should I take it but not drive it or just persist in my convincing

Quick Reply

Latest