The Student Room Group

Can't choose medical school!

Hi there, I've been fortunate enough to gain 4 places for medicine, Imperial College London, St. George's London, Manchester and Hull York. All of these are AAA, except Imperial, which requires an A* in biology or chemistry(so A*AA). I also have neuroscience at Kings College(AAB).

Out of these, I want to put Imperial first. However, I am not sure whether I will get the A* or not. In the case I do not put Imperial first, I am deciding between which of the others I should firm.
Right now I can't decide between St. Georges or Manchester.
St Georges- It's in London, the accommodation is cheap(er than other London unis), close to my actual home and I feel like I could have fun there, even though i haven't really taken a shine to the actual uni.
Manchester- I really liked the city, the university looked nice and I think I'd really enjoy the big uni experience. However, I've heard stories of people having to go all the way to Preston for placements, and even though the chances are low, I'm not the luckiest person in the world.
Can any current students(or anyone who wants to be helpful) give me advice please ?
Thank you!
bump
they all do pbl, Manchester more so than Imperial and St. Georges(i think). I myself don't mind the prospect of PBL as I am basically teaching myself my A levels/
Original post by ultimateradman
St Georges- It's in London, the accommodation is cheap(er than other London unis), close to my actual home and I feel like I could have fun there, even though i haven't really taken a shine to the actual uni.
Manchester- I really liked the city, the university looked nice and I think I'd really enjoy the big uni experience. However, I've heard stories of people having to go all the way to Preston for placements, and even though the chances are low, I'm not the luckiest person in the world.

Congrats on the 4 offers.

I cannot see why you'd have "cheap" as an advantage of St George's when you clearly realise Manchester is cheaper. I wonder if you're deliberately screwing the advantages around because actually you just want to go to St George's?

Clearly St George's will have placements in DGHs too. Hard to find specific info but will be spread out throughout South London most probably. Imperial sends students to Reading and Slough btw.
Original post by nexttime
Congrats on the 4 offers.

I cannot see why you'd have "cheap" as an advantage of St George's when you clearly realise Manchester is cheaper. I wonder if you're deliberately screwing the advantages around because actually you just want to go to St George's?

Clearly St George's will have placements in DGHs too. Hard to find specific info but will be spread out throughout South London most probably. Imperial sends students to Reading and Slough btw.

Hi, thanks for the reply.
A piece of information I left out was that my parents do not want me to go to Manchester, and so you're probably right, I was most likely trying to make St. Georges sound better. But regardless of that, if I don't choose Imperial I am really stuck between the two.
Say i put Imperial first, and don't get the grades. But instead get AAA and so can go to St. Georges or Manchester. do you know what the conditions would be for them not accepting me(even if they were my insurance)?
If you work hard enough you will definitely get the A*, but then again, there is always a risk, but that's with everything.
GD Luck bro.
Hi, thanks for the reply.
A piece of information I left out was that my parents do not want me to go to Manchester, and so you're probably right, I was most likely trying to make St. Georges sound better.

... do you know what the conditions would be for them not accepting me(even if they were my insurance)?

Its your decision though, not your parents. You will be an adult and can be as independent as you like.

I don't understand your question. If they have made an offer they must honor it, whether you make it firm or insurance.
if you really are Medicine-calibre you should have no problem getting an A* in biology lmao.

a medicine degree is like 10 biology AS levels a year
Hi there, I've been fortunate enough to gain 4 places for medicine, Imperial College London, St. George's London, Manchester and Hull York. All of these are AAA, except Imperial, which requires an A* in biology or chemistry(so A*AA). I also have neuroscience at Kings College(AAB).

Out of these, I want to put Imperial first. However, I am not sure whether I will get the A* or not. In the case I do not put Imperial first, I am deciding between which of the others I should firm.
Right now I can't decide between St. Georges or Manchester.
Can any current students(or anyone who wants to be helpful) give me advice please ?
Thank you!
Yep, SGUL also has some placements far away, it's just that transport links in London are very good so all placements are either commutable by tube/train/bus, or by living in hospital-provided accommodation during placements. However, the far away placements (like St Peter's Hospital where people choose to live in hospital-accommodation) don't happen until 4th and 5th year, so there's no way you'll have a placement too far to travel in years 1-3.
And placements far away shouldn't be too big a problem if you can drive, so I don't think you should discount Manchester purely for that reason if you have a car.
As nexttime said, Manchester will be way cheaper overall compared either of the London unis (especially compared to Imperial), so it's a tough decision but choosing purely based on placement distance isn't the best idea imo. It is your choice and not your parents', and maybe going to a completely new area of the country might be a good experience?

Latest