The Student Room Group

Wanting to change course from engineering to economics

I am currently studying, maths physics and economics for my A-Levels. I guess you can say I used to have a drive for engineering and perform well in academics. I currently have firmed an offer from Imperial and with the recent announcement from Cambridge doing adjustment I intend to try beat the firm offer of A*AA. However, as the year has gone by I realised I don't really have a natural drive for maths and physics as I do with economics. When it comes to economics I feel I am much more better at picking up concepts more quickly where I can read through a chapter and will instantly understand it, where as with maths and physics it takes me forever, where I have to constantly practice. I don't have as strong passion for doing maths and physics and don't know why I picked engineering. It's nothing to do with difficulty but its do with time. I understand engineering is also one of the most hard working courses at university and I feel if I am not motivated enough to study it at A-level then whats the point at university.

So that's the background of what situation I'm in.
I understand I could take a gap year and re-apply for uni for the course I want to do, but I feel that it would be wasted time. However, I'm wondering is there any possible way for me to adjust into a semi decent university or even clearing on results day to get into an economics course? I mean if I get the grades for adjustment I might ask Cambridge if it is possible to adjust onto an economics course as arguably I'm taking the A-level and the entry requirements are the same but they do state the condition for adjustment is the course you initially applied for which is engineering for me. So I really need some careers advice on what I should do and if it is possible to change course at this stage of UCAS.
Original post by Cominca
I am currently studying, maths physics and economics for my A-Levels. I guess you can say I used to have a drive for engineering and perform well in academics. I currently have firmed an offer from Imperial and with the recent announcement from Cambridge doing adjustment I intend to try beat the firm offer of A*AA. However, as the year has gone by I realised I don't really have a natural drive for maths and physics as I do with economics. When it comes to economics I feel I am much more better at picking up concepts more quickly where I can read through a chapter and will instantly understand it, where as with maths and physics it takes me forever, where I have to constantly practice. I don't have as strong passion for doing maths and physics and don't know why I picked engineering. It's nothing to do with difficulty but its do with time. I understand engineering is also one of the most hard working courses at university and I feel if I am not motivated enough to study it at A-level then whats the point at university.

I understand I could take a gap year and re-apply for uni for the course I want to do, but I feel that it would be wasted time. However, I'm wondering is there any possible way for me to adjust into a semi decent university or even clearing on results day to get into an economics course? I mean if I get the grades for adjustment I might ask Cambridge if it is possible to adjust onto an economics course as arguably I'm taking the A-level and the entry requirements are the same but they do state the condition for adjustment is the course you initially applied for which is engineering for me. So I really need some careers advice on what I should do and if it is possible to change course at this stage of UCAS.

A gap year would only be "wasted time" if YOU waste it.
Original post by Cominca

I think your reasons for wanting to switch to Economics sound reasonable and your A level subjects are great for Engineering. Normally it would just be a case of phoning your Firm to ask whether you could switch from Engineering to Economics, which wouldn't be a problem if they had vacancies and you met the entry requirements, but the problem is that I don't believe Imperial offer Economics degrees? If you have made your choice within 14 days, you may still be able to switch your Firm choice to another of your Uni offers and could make sure that this Uni has both a good reputation for Economics and vacancies (you can see unis that still have vacancies for 2019 on the UCAS website, and then phone their Admissions office to double check). Alternatively, you could decline all your current uni offers which would then leave you free to apply to any uni advertising vacancies in Economics via UCAS Extra.
Reply 3
Original post by harrysbar
I think your reasons for wanting to switch to Economics sound reasonable and your A level subjects are great for Engineering. Normally it would just be a case of phoning your Firm to ask whether you could switch from Engineering to Economics, which wouldn't be a problem if they had vacancies and you met the entry requirements, but the problem is that I don't believe Imperial offer Economics degrees? If you have made your choice within 14 days, you may still be able to switch your Firm choice to another of your Uni offers and could make sure that this Uni has both a good reputation for Economics and vacancies (you can see unis that still have vacancies for 2019 on the UCAS website, and then phone their Admissions office to double check). Alternatively, you could decline all your current uni offers which would then leave you free to apply to any uni advertising vacancies in Economics via UCAS Extra.

Unfortunately since I applied for oxbridge the deadline to switch uni choices is long gone and as for my firm, your are right they do not offer economics.
Original post by Cominca
Unfortunately since I applied for oxbridge the deadline to switch uni choices is long gone and as for my firm, your are right they do not offer economics.

What about your Insurance, do they offer economics?
Reply 5
I believe my insurance (bath) does offer it, but I was really stupid when picking options and bath isn't really where I want to go study so I am not to sure on what to do. I was hoping if you would know whether during adjustment if it is possible to apply for courses that is not what you usually intended.
What about your Insurance, do they offer economics?
are you aware that Economics degrees, unlike Economics A level, is hardcore maths?
Original post by Cominca

Original post by Cominca
I believe my insurance (bath) does offer it, but I was really stupid when picking options and bath isn't really where I want to go study so I am not to sure on what to do. I was hoping if you would know whether during adjustment if it is possible to apply for courses that is not what you usually intended.

I believe you can change course but I don't know of many students who have used adjustment, so I would check this with UCAS. The other issue is that you would need to exceed your A level offer from Imperial in order to qualify, and I imagine that offer was very high. It sounds like maybe you have a particular uni in mind, and if this is the case you could email their Admissions to see whether they are likely to be in Adjustment this year for economics or whether it would be better for you to apply to them now via Extra?
Reply 8
Original post by CollectiveSoul
are you aware that Economics degrees, unlike Economics A level, is hardcore maths?

I am aware that economics does contain a lot of maths however, in comparison to engineering I believe the maths would be much more easier and enjoyable.
Reply 9
Can you give me a bit of background about how extra works and what it actually is? For particular uni's in mind I was thinking Queens mary, nottingham, UCL. Honestly, not to sure but heard they are good for their course.
I believe you can change course but I don't know of many students who have used adjustment, so I would check this with UCAS. The other issue is that you would need to exceed your A level offer from Imperial in order to qualify, and I imagine that offer was very high. It sounds like maybe you have a particular uni in mind, and if this is the case you could email their Admissions to see whether they are likely to be in Adjustment this year for economics or whether it would be better for you to apply to them now via Extra?
Original post by Cominca
Can you give me a bit of background about how extra works and what it actually is? For particular uni's in mind I was thinking Queens mary, nottingham, UCL. Honestly, not to sure but heard they are good for their course.

Extra is a little risky in that you need to decline all the offers you are currently holding in UCAS, although it would be less risky in your case since you are not keen on your current offers anyway. Once you technically have no offers on the table, you are free to apply to new unis...one at a time.

To make it less risky, people normally use the UCAS website to check which unis are currently advertising that they still have vacancies for their subject, and then they phone the Admissions offices of the unis in order to double check with them. They don't decline their current offers until they have had a positive response from a uni - Nottingham, for example, could tell you that they do still have vacancies in Economics and would be happy to receive an application from you.

This is a brief description but I advise you to read the UCAS website for more in depth information on Extra, and do your research before declining your offers.
Original post by Cominca
I am aware that economics does contain a lot of maths however, in comparison to engineering I believe the maths would be much more easier and enjoyable.

Not necessarily - some courses, both engineering and economics, are more mathematical than others. I would imagine with your grades you're going to be aiming at the universities that probably have maths heavy economics courses, like how you have aimed at the more mathematical engineering courses.
Reply 12
Original post by Cominca

Hi, I am in a really similar position to this and I'd loved to know how things turned out for you in the end!
Original post by de12345
Hi, I am in a really similar position to this and I'd loved to know how things turned out for you in the end!

It is certainly possible to change your course. The best option is Extra. As has been said you need to decline all your offers to do so. Most universities and courses are available in extra but you would need to check with universities that you are interested in before applying. It is less rushed than adjustment which requires a decision more urgently. You can look around for courses in extra. The course you choose will be your firm choice. You wont have an insurance. You could ask any university you are thinking of going to whether they are prepared to accept an alternative PS. Be aware some top universities wont be in extra, clearing or adjustment.

Latest

Trending

Trending