The Student Room Group

Durham v. St Andrews 2019

Hi-

I'm trying to decide what uni between durham and st andrews

I like the look of both for different reasons.

What I believe to be true so far is that durham is much more well regarded in the UK but relatively unknown outside of here. St Andrews on the other hand has a less strong reputation here, but it renowned outside of UK.

Durham I hear is a lot more work, so sort of worried St Andrews won't be academic enough...

I know both are quite quiet, but St Andrews always has amazing student satisfaction reviews - so im confused what there is to do there...

For me, Durham has the more appealing course, but also the less respected degree (as it is liberal arts), where as st a doesn't offer politics but IR (though you can take politics modules.)

I love the idea of the collegiate system at durham, and wonder whether that sense of community is lost, or at least very different at St As. I also love the idea of formal dinners which aren't a thing I don't think at St As.

But St Andrews just looks beautiful and I've never heard a bad thing said about it, people who go tend to just love it.

I also heard st a's isn't very diverse, and that its mainly girls looking to find their Prince William - which is NOT the reason I want to go aha.

I'd love to hear anyones advice on both as I am so stuck....
Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Both are very good universities, so it comes to where you will be happy for three to four years.

I visited both and I didn't like Durham as much as St Andrews. Durham Uni is much bigger than St As and they are planning to expand further. I prefer the smaller, more personal, environment of St As. Also, my Dad comes from Durham and he told me - although nothing too bad - there used to be a little bit of friction between students and locals.

The college system at Durham is appealing but, unlike Oxbridge, Durham colleges don't get involved in teaching. I was really disappointed with some of the colleges as they seemed a small and bit run down. St As don't have colleges, but they do have halls which I expect provide the same kind of experience.

If you like sport, Durham is well known as a sporty university. Durham and St As both have lots of different societies.

I was initially put off by St As four year degrees but, after thinking about it, I realise it gives lots of flexibility and I particularly like the idea of studying two extra subjects in the first two years.

I wouldn't worry about rankings too much, both will provide well respected qualifications.

Both universities will provide a unique undergraduate experience, with different traditions, so you have to decide what course you prefer and where you'd be happy.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
So would you say St. Andrews then?
Original post by ali220
So would you say St. Andrews then?

Yes, for me its St Andrews, but you may prefer Durham. Have you visited them?.
Reply 4
I’ve seen durham. Going to st A’s in April on an offer holder open day. From everything everyone tells me, St. Andrews sounds more appealing to me - as well because of the international reputation- feel like that would be a great atmosphere. Are you going there?
Original post by ali220
I’ve seen durham. Going to st A’s in April on an offer holder open day. From everything everyone tells me, St. Andrews sounds more appealing to me - as well because of the international reputation- feel like that would be a great atmosphere. Are you going there?

Yes, I'm going on 6th April :smile: I know some people will find it too remote and worry about the lack of clubs etc, but I went last year and fell in love with the place.
Reply 6
As am I!
Original post by ali220
Hi-

What I believe to be true so far is that durham is much more well regarded in the UK but relatively unknown outside of here. St Andrews on the other hand has a less strong reputation here, but it renowned outside of UK.

Durham I hear is a lot more work, so sort of worried St Andrews won't be academic enough...

I know both are quite quiet, but St Andrews always has amazing student satisfaction reviews - so im confused what there is to do there...

For me, Durham has the more appealing course, but also the less respected degree (as it is liberal arts), where as st a doesn't offer politics but IR (though you can take politics modules.)

I love the idea of the collegiate system at durham, and wonder whether that sense of community is lost, or at least very different at St As. I also love the idea of formal dinners which aren't a thing I don't think at St As.

But St Andrews just looks beautiful and I've never heard a bad thing said about it, people who go tend to just love it.

I also heard st a's isn't very diverse, and that its mainly girls looking to find their Prince William - which is NOT the reason I want to go aha.

Thanks!

My brother goes to st Andrews and loves it! There is a huge work load and it is difficult to get firsts as it is a highly academic uni as is durham, so don't be worried about it not being academic enough. Also it is very diverse in terms of many people from around the world, however all are quite well off so can be bit snooty, can also be the same at durham though. I would go for the visit and which ever feels right go with that. The connections st Andrews have are fab with it being known around the world also if you were looking for work abroad.
Original post by ali220
Hi-

Thanks!

i had to make this choice a few years ago. both unis are regarded about equally. Durham's flagship degree is English, whereas St Andrews is best known for IR first

Both unis exude that posh, middle-class public school vibe that i love, but the difference is st andrews is ridiculously cosmopolitan as well. at durham you will only meet other people from English grammar/private schools but at st andrews you will meet loads of people from all continents (not like Imperial with just Chinese students who don't integrate).

st andrews degrees are a year longer which means one year more of tuition fees, but that extra year was life-changing for a) giving me extra time to plan and think about my career path and b) allowing me to explore (and possibly switch to) two different subjects other than my main degree.

st andrews doesn't have any nightclubs whereas Durham has a couple of cheesy ones, but both have loads of student bars/pubs and the social life in st andrews is built around societies' socials, balls and the pubs. also most of the Americans go to st andrews because it's 'so close' to continental europe, so you will probably spend your half-terms showing them around Venice, Paris and Barcelona!

in terms of work-load, this will be similar across most of the top 20 unis i reckon, it depends more on subject than anything else.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Thank you everyone this is unbelievably helpful!! Think I’m going w St. Andrews as firm- need to wait till durham replies though!!
I’m thinking about choosing St A over Durham as well, but I am a bit stressed about it ahhaha
I'm going to the st a offer holder day on 6th april as well :smile: I already prefer the idea of st andrews over durham - I like the sound of the international community and I heard it's really good for history (what I want to study)
Original post by Hen200113
I'm going to the st a offer holder day on 6th april as well :smile: I already prefer the idea of st andrews over durham - I like the sound of the international community and I heard it's really good for history (what I want to study)

Can you let me know what you think please??? xx I can't make it to the open day in april but I also want to study history :smile:
Yay!! And yes of course, I'll post back here after I've been xx
Original post by caitlinhayes
Can you let me know what you think please??? xx I can't make it to the open day in april but I also want to study history :smile:
Yay!! And yes of course, I'll post back here after I've been xx

thank you!!! x have fun at the open day x
Heya! I went to the St A open day, and it was actually so nice! The town was alot bigger and busier than I thought it would be, and the History tutors were so nice and made the course look so good. I went to the Durham open day as well, and personally I thought St A was more friendly and nice. Also the students there said the nightlife and parties were actually really good (something I was worried about bc I like going out haha) Almost definitely gonna firm it :smile: hope this was helpful xx
Original post by caitlinhayes
thank you!!! x have fun at the open day x
Surely just because it’s a highly academic uni, it does not mean it is difficult to get a first? Don’t you think the moderately heavy workload reflects the amount of effort one needs to put in (just like at every other unis) if one wants to get a first?
Original post by Anonymous061299
My brother goes to st Andrews and loves it! There is a huge work load and it is difficult to get firsts as it is a highly academic uni as is durham, so don't be worried about it not being academic enough. Also it is very diverse in terms of many people from around the world, however all are quite well off so can be bit snooty, can also be the same at durham though. I would go for the visit and which ever feels right go with that. The connections st Andrews have are fab with it being known around the world also if you were looking for work abroad.
Heya! I went to the St A open day, and it was actually so nice! The town was alot bigger and busier than I thought it would be, and the History tutors were so nice and made the course look so good. I went to the Durham open day as well, and personally I thought St A was more friendly and nice. Also the students there said the nightlife and parties were actually really good (something I was worried about bc I like going out haha) Almost definitely gonna firm it :smile: hope this was helpful xx

glad to hear x i firmed st andrews last night
Not exactly no, it's a known fact that high rep and research uni's (don't know how better to word that) have higher expectations of their students (depending on courses of course) and have seen a lot more high quality work, as well as being involved in quality, in-depth research projects, so are harder to impress, therefore more difficult to get a first.
Original post by Anonymous
Surely just because it’s a highly academic uni, it does not mean it is difficult to get a first? Don’t you think the moderately heavy workload reflects the amount of effort one needs to put in (just like at every other unis) if one wants to get a first?
l would go for Durham st andrews very boring

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending