The Student Room Group

why is everything about LGBTQ these days?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge supporter of the LGBTQ community. I believe in equality and people should be able to express themselves and their sexuality etc, but I've noticed how lots of things just seem to be about the LGBT community. For example, a new genderless computer voice called "Al" was developed. Why does it have to be "genderless?" I'm aware that some people class themselves as genderless and gender binary- but what is the actual point? A genderless voice? Why does that triumph? Personally, I see it as a waste of technology and time, there are other ways to feel uplifted and I doubt a genderless computer-generated voice will do very much for everybody.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'll be honest, I have not really heard much about the LGBTQ in the past two years at the very least. I learn all about it from YouTube lol.

However, I am curious of what a genderless voice sounds like.
I'll agree that there are other ways to spend your time such as trying to improve life of the people by making some processes go faster. For example, I cannot wait until I think Amazon, makes a product which is a automatic self-checkout.
Reply 2
Original post by I'm God
I'll be honest, I have not really heard much about the LGBTQ in the past two years at the very least. I learn all about it from YouTube lol.

However, I am curious of what a genderless voice sounds like.
I'll agree that there are other ways to spend your time such as trying to improve life of the people by making some processes go faster. For example, I cannot wait until I think Amazon, makes a product which is a automatic self-checkout.

search it up on yt:smile: and yes things such as the Amazon self checkout benefits everybody and is a positive way to use technology.
Original post by Anonymous
Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge supporter of the LGBTQ community. I believe in equality and people should be able to express themselves and their sexuality etc, but I've noticed how lots of things just seem to be about the LGBT community. For example, a new genderless computer voice called "Al" was developed. Why does it have to be "genderless?" I'm aware that some people class themselves as genderless and gender binary- but what is the actual point? A genderless voice? Why does that triumph? Personally, I see it as a waste of technology and time, there are other ways to feel uplifted and I doubt a genderless computer-generated voice will do very much for everybody.

It's not, it's just that you're looking into that so will be naturally drawn to this, and with a lot of exposure it will seem far bigger than it really is
It shows acceptance, you might feel tired of always hearing about the lgbtq+ community but some people are still struggling with their identity and they know it is unsafe for them to be themselves, and hearing about it more often normalises it
You do realise LGBT has been vilified for centuries. The fact its integrated now is a problem to you how? Just move on if you don't like it. Society does plenty of things I don't like that's not a part of my life or interests. Doesn't really require asking about.

Because we only got equal marriage about 5 years ago. There is still lots of discrimination towards LGBTQ people, for example someone in my year gave me a death threat. My point is, until we are socially equal, you will see a lot of things are about providing support for the LGBT community
(edited 5 years ago)
Which completely backs up why it should be taught and normalised in schools, to avoid the outcome of f*ckheads like the guy that gave you a death threat. I'm sorry. You know ignorance breeds hate and less intellectual people act out about things they can't understand and you're strong, kudos. I'm trans and I see so many ignorant comments on transgender people everywhere online, it is demoralising. We need far more education about LGBT.
Original post by Fighter365
Because we only got equal marriage about 5 years ago. There is still lots of discrimination towards LGBTQ people, for example someone in my year gave me a death threat. My point is, until we are socially equal, you will see a lot of things are about providing support for the LGBT community
Original post by fishies
Which completely backs up why it should be taught and normalised in schools, to avoid the outcome of f*ckheads like the guy that gave you a death threat. I'm sorry. You know ignorance breeds hate and less intellectual people act out about things they can't understand and you're strong, kudos. I'm trans and I see so many ignorant comments on transgender people everywhere online, it is demoralising. We need far more education about LGBT.

I completely agree. These people are becoming less common though. It must be taught and normalised in schools otherwise we will be taking steps backwards. I’m in my last year of sixth form and I don’t ever remember having any formal education on anything to do with LGBTQ, throughout my 14 years in school
Reply 9
I, along with OP, fully support the LGBTQ+ community however it is clear that there are lots of problems with its integration into our society. Just to be clear, I'm not saying its the fault of the forementioned community, but the structure of our society. For example, sports. Is it fair for a transgender woman to compete in a women's football team? Men aren't naturally better at football but they are certainly naturally stronger than women. Also, there's a huge issue with toilets. If a transgender man walked into a men's toilet, is it expected of all the men in there to feel comfortable? This issue is fixable (with gender neutral toilets, however it's imperative that this is provided in conjunction with conventional men's & women's toilets). However issues such as sport still exist and how it will be resolved seems to be unknown.
And then you bring logic into the argument. Sport is never fair. Someone will always have natural biological differences that give them the advantage. You think it's unfair Usain Bolt being naturally gifted with his running ability thanks to his genetics is unfair? NO. So in regular sport I think it's completely fine to include trans women in women's sport (non professionally). They're usually running on estrogen and not testosterone, and I'm assuming they don't let a non trans woman (a man) that hasn't gone through some kind of procedure compete with girls.

Also the toilets, I don't understand where you're getting at there. Trans men (I'm one) have been using male toilets since forever, and I can assure you from experience men do not care about you going to the bathroom, you're a part of the furniture for all they give a sh*t. I feel like you're putting your own bias on other people. Trans people use the toilets fine, but it's YOU that has issue now it's suddenly mentioned in the media. Cure your ignorance. Also before I transitioned with hormones (girl voice) guys treated me like one of the guys LOL. Guys don't care bro :s-smilie:.
Original post by idk01
I, along with OP, fully support the LGBTQ+ community however it is clear that there are lots of problems with its integration into our society. Just to be clear, I'm not saying its the fault of the forementioned community, but the structure of our society. For example, sports. Is it fair for a transgender woman to compete in a women's football team? Men aren't naturally better at football but they are certainly naturally stronger than women. Also, there's a huge issue with toilets. If a transgender man walked into a men's toilet, is it expected of all the men in there to feel comfortable? This issue is fixable (with gender neutral toilets, however it's imperative that this is provided in conjunction with conventional men's & women's toilets). However issues such as sport still exist and how it will be resolved seems to be unknown.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 11
I'm talking about transgender people (who identify as the opposite gender but have not undergone any medical procedures), unlike you. I dont understand your point about sports as you say you think it's fine non-professionally, however my entire point was about professional sport.

Also with the toilets, I would personally be a bit weirded out if a women at birth (who identifies as a man, but has not undergone any procedures therefore looks like a women) walked into the male toilets as I'm sure other men would. It would be as if a regular women walked into the mens toilets, also this issue spuld be exacerbated in the context of schools.

Also, although its certainly a minority, some members of the LGBTQ community (like you) seem to be so eager to lash out, even if it's due to a minor detail you dont agree with. Dont you think the best way to help your community is to have civilised discussions with other people?

Also, dont bring the media into this; I haven't read a single news article about these issues, this is all my contention.
Original post by fishies
And then you bring logic into the argument. Sport is never fair. Someone will always have natural biological differences that give them the advantage. You think it's unfair Usain Bolt being naturally gifted with his running ability thanks to his genetics is unfair? NO. So in regular sport I think it's completely fine to include trans women in women's sport (non professionally). They're usually running on estrogen and not testosterone, and I'm assuming they don't let a non trans woman (a man) that hasn't gone through some kind of procedure compete with girls.

Also the toilets, I don't understand where you're getting at there. Trans men (I'm one) have been using male toilets since forever, and I can assure you from experience men do not care about you going to the bathroom, you're a part of the furniture for all they give a sh*t. I feel like you're putting your own bias on other people. Trans people use the toilets fine, but it's YOU that has issue now it's suddenly mentioned in the media. Cure your ignorance. Also before I transitioned with hormones (girl voice) guys treated me like one of the guys LOL. Guys don't care bro :s-smilie:.
Original post by idk01
I'm talking about transgender people (who identify as the opposite gender but have not undergone any medical procedures), unlike you. I dont understand your point about sports as you say you think it's fine non-professionally, however my entire point was about professional sport.

Also with the toilets, I would personally be a bit weirded out if a women at birth (who identifies as a man, but has not undergone any procedures therefore looks like a women) walked into the male toilets as I'm sure other men would. It would be as if a regular women walked into the mens toilets, also this issue spuld be exacerbated in the context of schools.

Also, although its certainly a minority, some members of the LGBTQ community (like you) seem to be so eager to lash out, even if it's due to a minor detail you dont agree with. Dont you think the best way to help your community is to have civilised discussions with other people?

Also, dont bring the media into this; I haven't read a single news article about these issues, this is all my contention.

LOL. A trans man would have short hair and boy clothes if they're walking into male toilets. Therefore most men DO NOT CARE. You're looking for a problem and it knocks me sick. I assure you a lot of trans men prehormones use genderless or female toilets. When exactly has a trans man walked in your bathroom looking like a woman and why would it upset you?! Just get on with your business! Idiot.
Reply 13
"LOL" This is the issue. Once again you are unnecessarily lashing out; you're not a very good representative for the LGBTQ community.
Original post by fishies
LOL. A trans man would have short hair and boy clothes if they're walking into male toilets. Therefore most men DO NOT CARE. You're looking for a problem and it knocks me sick. I assure you a lot of trans men prehormones use genderless or female toilets. When exactly has a trans man walked in your bathroom looking like a woman and why would it upset you?! Just get on with your business! Idiot.
bc we're neat as f!ck lol
Original post by idk01
"LOL" This is the issue. Once again you are unnecessarily lashing out; you're not a very good representative for the LGBTQ community.

I'm simply amazed at your stupidity... Nice argument though... Fail... I'm pretty sure that being a part of LGBT makes my opinion more relevant than yours, though...
Aw, poor little rattled conservative. Did vegan sausage rolls make you rage in hysterics? We'll leave the right wing (your realm) to just destroy lives. That's much better.
Original post by AperfectBalance
Because they have stopped trying to become ordinary members of society and now try to change society so much that it fits in with their choices.
Original post by idk01

hey there! i will have you know i am ABSOLUTELY F!CKING TERRIFIED of going into the right room even when im (eventually) out and passing! hope this helps!
(edited 5 years ago)
What do you mean by this? You mean going into the bathroom of what you identify as? Is this male or female toilets? Because I assure you it's fine in males unless there's only urinals and you have no STP hahaha. As for in female toilets, that's a tricky one as you do get crazies who get in people's business. Just don't think about it, these people do not own public toilets and I assure you if you pass you'll just be freaking out the opposite gender lol.

PS I remember pre hormones when I still used female toilets... I got many dirty looks from the females lmao.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by fishies
What do you mean by this? You mean going into the bathroom of what you identify as? Is this male or female toilets? Because I assure you it's fine in males unless there's only urinals and you have no STP hahaha. As for in female toilets, that's a tricky one as you do get crazies who get in people's business. Just don't think about it, these people do not own public toilets and I assure you if you pass you'll just be freaking out the opposite gender lol.

PS I remember pre hormones when I still used female toilets... I got many dirty looks from the females lmao.

male toilets, even when i eventually start t im scared ill get stares n stuff, plus im not out yet

i have a lot of friends who said they'd protect me tho so thts good.

(also sorry abt the sudden username change asejkrldsf)
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending