The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know if I firm my biomed offer in case I don’t get the grades but then achieved AAA on results day would I be able to ring up the uni and decline the biomed offer and go through clearing?
Reply 21
No he didn't get an interview for Dundee as they said UKCAT was too low. He did get 2 other interview invites which he got offered places for both of them.
Original post by med2002
That would make sense. I was very disappointed and hopefully will improve it this year. Did your son get invited to attend an interview at Dundee? I know some universities don’t consider UKCAT after interviews but Dundee might have an overall score that considers UKCAT as well and I would understand that.
Reply 22
There are med schools in clearing every year, I applied in 2013 and Kings and Plymouth were then.
Original post by thatonethere
Just to provide a bit of context, medical schools only actually entered clearing just 3 years ago so it's not guaranteed it will happen again...

It is likely that if it does happen generally they will offer places to those who have already been interviewed and were unsuccessful in the absence of concerning features. This is because it is against admission standards to admit applicants without interview.
Reply 23
Yes. You don’t have to decline the offer before going into adjustment
Original post by alexlowrey
Does anyone know if I firm my biomed offer in case I don’t get the grades but then achieved AAA on results day would I be able to ring up the uni and decline the biomed offer and go through clearing?
Original post by ax12
There are med schools in clearing every year, I applied in 2013 and Kings and Plymouth were then.

How was the whole process like applying and stuff
Reply 25
Original post by Untamed-child
How was the whole process like applying and stuff

I just called them and had my a level and UCAS results to hand and they said they’d get back to me if I got an interview
Original post by ax12
I just called them and had my a level and UCAS results to hand and they said they’d get back to me if I got an interview

Oh ok thank you so much
Reply 27
Original post by Untamed-child
Oh ok thank you so much

By ucas I meant UKCAT :P
Reply 28
Original post by ax12
Yes. You don’t have to decline the offer before going into adjustment

On the UCAS website it says this:

"I don’t want my firm choice, can I use Clearing?

If you change your mind and no longer want to go to your firm choice, you need to call the uni to discuss your options. If they give you permission to change your choice, they’ll release you into Clearing once they do this, your Track status will be updated and you’ll receive an email to say something has changed. You'll then be able to search and apply for courses in Clearing."

I saw somebody say on TSR that in following that process, they then had to email the Uni for the offer they wanted to withdraw and it took a few days for Track to update.

My impression is that in practice, you didn't have to go through all of that? I'm only asking because somebody messaged me about the process and I just quoted what it says on the UCAS website - so just seeking clarity, so that they have the full picture. Thanks :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by meddad

If you change your mind and no longer want to go to your firm choice, you need to call the uni to discuss your options. If they give you permission to change your choice, they’ll release you into Clearing once they do this, your Track status will be updated and you’ll receive an email to say something has changed. You'll then be able to search and apply for courses in Clearing."

I saw somebody say on TSR that in following that process, they then had to email the Uni for the offer they wanted to withdraw and it took a few days for Track to update.

My impression is that in practice, you didn't have to go through all of that? I'm only asking because somebody messaged me about the process and I just quoted what it says on the UCAS website - so just seeking clarity, so that they have the full picture. Thanks :smile:

A lot of people refer to clearing when they’re actually talking about adjustment. If you do better than the grades required to get into your firm or insurance choice, you can hold onto that offer while you apply to other things in adjustment, which is what the majority of people will be doing if they get a biomed offer and want to do medicine.

The telegraph has some good information on it:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/0/does-adjustment-work-should-use-did-better-expected/
Reply 30
Original post by ax12
A lot of people refer to clearing when they’re actually talking about adjustment. If you do better than the grades required to get into your firm or insurance choice, you can hold onto that offer while you apply to other things in adjustment, which is what the majority of people will be doing if they get a biomed offer and want to do medicine.

The telegraph has some good information on it:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/0/does-adjustment-work-should-use-did-better-expected/

That's really helpful - I hadn't understood that distinction.

Thank you for clarifying.
Thank you everyone for your help this was really helpful
Thanks @ med dad for all your info.

My son asked his teachers at school who has said on similar lines-
For clearing - if you accept bio med offer and then withdraw on the day of your results, it will take some time to appear on track for clearing may be couple of days as well. So not sure for medicine clearing if this works as it goes like hot cakes.

For Lancaster, it is called ucas extra .
I think they will accept the applications only till April 30th. Later in May there will be interviews.
medicine courses will be not be in adjustment after the results day This is what our school said .
Original post by meddad

(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by San 5789
Thanks @ med dad for all your info.

My son asked his teachers at school who has said on similar lines-
For clearing - if you accept bio med offer and then withdraw on the day of your results, it will take some time to appear on track for clearing may be couple of days as well. So not sure for medicine clearing if this works as it goes like hot cakes.

For Lancaster, it is called ucas extra .
I think they will accept the applications only till April 30th. Later in May there will be interviews.
medicine courses will be not be in adjustment after the results day This is what our school said .

See above, clearing and adjustment have different rules so he doesn’t need to reject his offer on the off-chance that he’ll get a medicine offer.

UCAS extra is for people without offers past the application deadline, when you can apply for courses with spaces still available. It’s separate from clearing and adjustment.
I am aware that with adjustment we can keep
Our existing offer, but I think unis don’t put medicine course on adjustment. This is what the school says.
Original post by ax12
See above, clearing and adjustment have different rules so he doesn’t need to reject his offer on the off-chance that he’ll get a medicine offer.

UCAS extra is for people without offers past the application deadline, when you can apply for courses with spaces still available. It’s separate from clearing and adjustment.
Reply 35
I am aware that with adjustment we can keep
Our existing offer, but I think unis don’t put medicine course on adjustment. This is what the school says.

I don’t think that’s right, you get adjustment offers by calling the university and them giving them to you. In the link to the Telegraph article they state that there is no list, so no university will be ‘in adjustment’.
Oh really? So basically medicine which is on clearing can be on Adjustment as well?
Original post by ax12
I don’t think that’s right, you get adjustment offers by calling the university and them giving them to you. In the link to the Telegraph article they state that there is no list, so no university will be ‘in adjustment’.
Reply 37
Oh really? So basically medicine which is on clearing can be on Adjustment as well?

Yes, and places not in clearing can still offer you places via adjustment.
Thanks that’s good to know then
Original post by ax12
Yes, and places not in clearing can still offer you places via adjustment.
Reply 39
I think a silly question, but may I please know if we can try for clearing if we achieved AAB on the redult day ( with no WAMS/scholar eligibility) ?

Latest

Trending

Trending