The Student Room Group

Declined from my 5 options, next?

As the title says I got unsuccessful by all of them, what to do next?

Here is some info I give you trying to get advice in return:

I applied for five foundation courses of Physics (QMUL, Manchester, Royal Holloway, Southampton and Surrey)

My previous education is 2 BTEC of 2 years each other, 1 of Computer Science and the 2nd of Sales Management and Marketing.

I didn't finish my GSCE and haven't A-Levels because at that time I was pretty different so they have no information about my maths and physics grades, and this is the prior reason I got refused.

Even I told in the personal statement that I have been learning physics and maths by myself trying to go deeper in to the topics ofc not pretending to join university without knowledge in the field I want was not enough to convince them for start a foundation course.

At this moment when I use course finder tool in UCAS searching for foundation year(physics) with vacancies, there are just few choices, (Newcastle, Nottingham, St Andrews and Aston) that I can use 1 option with Extra but with the feedback I recieved I don't expect going university for the next year, unfortunately.

I did so much effort this last year researching about everything involved into study in UK because I've got no help (I'm from Spain) and it's a shame being refused after all.

I'm doing 400 hours of industrial placement part of my BTEC in Sales Management and Marketing that I will finish in May and then I have about 3 or 4 months until September(summer holiday) for recalibrate my life journey.

In Spain there is not any BTEC related to physics or maths :frown: (everything would be easier for me)

I don't know what to do to be honest, my most viable option is start engineering bachelor in Spain which the 1st year cover a huge part or maths and physics and try go for physics after that but I would like to not waste to many years because I have 23 and if you do A-Levels in Spain you can't choose just physics and maths, you will have 6 or 7 subjects for 2 years so it's pretty different.

My situation is pretty unique(bad) and difficult I just want to learn physics in university no matter anything.

And with 1st year engineering I'll have one less year without student finance which doesn't help.

I hope someone can suggest me something, if you need more info to help me just let me know.

Scroll to see replies

is there no other qualifications available like and international baccalaureate that universities would recognise?
Reply 2
Original post by DrStephenHawking

I applied for five foundation courses of Physics (QMUL, Manchester, Royal Holloway, Southampton and Surrey)

My previous education is 2 BTEC of 2 years each other, 1 of Computer Science and the 2nd of Sales Management and Marketing.

I didn't finish my GSCE and haven't A-Levels because at that time I was pretty different so they have no information about my maths and physics grades, and this is the prior reason I got refused.

Even I told in the personal statement that I have been learning physics and maths by myself trying to go deeper in to the topics ofc not pretending to join university without knowledge in the field I want was not enough to convince them for start a foundation course.

At this moment when I use course finder tool in UCAS searching for foundation year(physics) with vacancies, there are just few choices, (Newcastle, Nottingham, St Andrews and Aston) that I can use 1 option with Extra but with the feedback I recieved I don't expect going university for the next year, unfortunately.

I did so much effort this last year researching about everything involved into study in UK because I've got no help (I'm from Spain) and it's a shame being refused after all.

I'm doing 400 hours of industrial placement part of my BTEC in Sales Management and Marketing that I will finish in May and then I have about 3 or 4 months until September(summer holiday) for recalibrate my life journey.

In Spain there is not any BTEC related to physics or maths :frown: (everything would be easier for me)

I don't know what to do to be honest, my most viable option is start engineering bachelor in Spain which the 1st year cover a huge part or maths and physics and try go for physics after that but I would like to not waste to many years because I have 23 and if you do A-Levels in Spain you can't choose just physics and maths, you will have 6 or 7 subjects for 2 years so it's pretty different.

My situation is pretty unique(bad) and difficult I just want to learn physics in university no matter anything.

And with 1st year engineering I'll have one less year without student finance which doesn't help.

I hope someone can suggest me something, if you need more info to help me just let me know.

So you have not formally studied any physics, or maths?

Why do you think a university physics course is suitable for you?
Original post by nintysixthousand
is there no other qualifications available like and international baccalaureate that universities would recognise?

I don't think there are many suitable for me and International Baccalaureate is ''new'' in Spain that could be an option but I read it's really expensive.
Original post by Doones

This, not trying to be overly negative but I just wouldn't see a uni taking an application seriously for a dedicated science without even GCSE let alone A level in it :/
Original post by Doones

Formally I did in school like most people, but I left school when I was 17, so I can't show any grades formally.

I think it's suitable because after all my life journey I come up with physics as my future, I'm not able to see anything more important than that tbh, I sincerely don't see myself not doing a physics degree.
Reply 6
Formally I did in school like most people, but I left school when I was 17, so I can't show any grades formally.

I think it's suitable because after all my life journey I come up with physics as my future, I'm not able to see anything more important than that tbh, I sincerely don't see myself not doing a physics degree.

Are you in Spain or the UK?

If in the UK have you looked at Access to HE Diploma courses?

If I were you I would do a couple of iGCSE's, science, maths and english and then do something like an access course if it is available to you. No reputable university is going to admit you if you have not completed formal secondary education unless you have a lot (I mean years not just a couple of months) of work experience that relates to the course you wish to take.
You did Physics to 17and Maths. What qualification do you have in your country. You wouldnt be expected to have GCSE'S
Original post by StriderHort
This, not trying to be overly negative but I just wouldn't see a uni taking an application seriously for a dedicated science without even GCSE let alone A level in it :/

Don't worry I understand because they don't know me but I have been learning and reading books by myself , I did spend a big amount of time with the field and being really interested, still. I probably have more capacity than many other people with GCSE and A/levels which teach you how to memorize stuff, but I have 23, for me it's not a sad thing to do homework or learn for exams, by the other hand I applied for foundation year to make my application safe so I did expect they will care my background being a mature student :frown:
Original post by Doones
Are you in Spain or the UK?

If in the UK have you looked at Access to HE Diploma courses?

I'm in Spain, Manchester Univ suggested me to do that in their feedback but I should have to take a deeper look on how is that all about because I have not much information at this moment, but can be a viable option too! (if I could work there with my actual qualifications while study)
Original post by S1elyak1
If I were you I would do a couple of iGCSE's, science, maths and english and then do something like an access course if it is available to you. No reputable university is going to admit you if you have not completed formal secondary education unless you have a lot (I mean years not just a couple of months) of work experience that relates to the course you wish to take.

For the entry of my BTEC in Computer Science in Spain you need GSCE or do an access exam of general GCSE subjects (which I did pass) but I don't think that access exam have any value for UK universities :/
Reply 12
I'm in Spain, Manchester Univ suggested me to do that in their feedback but I should have to take a deeper look on how is that all about because I have not much information at this moment, but can be a viable option too! (if I could work there with my actual qualifications while study)

How did you do BTECs in Spain? CIE or Edexcel international A-levels would have given you much more choice.

You can do an AccessHE Diploma as a distance-learning course (but I think you may need a UK address).
e.g. https://ava.accesstohe.ac.uk/SubSites/PublicSearch/PublicSearchResult.aspx?tosid=39&smids=2&dsid=39

Another option might be the Open University.
In Spain, people who haven't GCSE can do a BTEC level 1,2 instead, and then you can start a BTEC level 3,4, after that you are able to join university bachelor if your grades are good enough and they don't care if you previously studied BTEC of Game Desing and wanting to study medicine, if your grade is good you can study medicine.
Original post by swanseajack1
You did Physics to 17and Maths. What qualification do you have in your country. You wouldnt be expected to have GCSE'S

Dont have enough time for a full answer, but if youd posted on here and I'd seen it then I would have advised you against and said the outcome was highly predictable.

You say you did lot so of research, but it sounds like you missed key points.

To do Physics they are going to want to see Maths and Physics in most cases.

You are doing the wrong subjects.

Saying you have taught yourself physics and maths is only good if you have ended this with sitting and passing formal exams such as international A levels, then getting the right grades they needed for entrance.

Virtually all unis require GCSE Maths and English (or equivalent) so you would get rejected on that alone.

What grades did you get at BTEC and what were the qualifications and levels of each?

Are you in the living in the UK? [I see its Spain]

Have you lived in the UK and if so for how long?

How come you did BTEC? In Spain?

You are aware that the UK is leaving the EU and after 2019 unless there is a deal then you wont be entitled to UK funding?

Will keep the tab open and look back later.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 15
In Spain, people who haven't GCSE can do a BTEC level 1,2 instead, and then you can start a BTEC level 3,4, after that you are able to join university bachelor if your grades are good enough and they don't care if you previously studied BTEC of Game Desing and wanting to study medicine, if your grade is good you can study medicine.

Do you actually mean BTECs or the local equivalent in Spain, Bachillerato?

Spain doesn't do GCSEs - it makes it very confusing for us to help you if you are quoting UK qualifications that you aren't expected to have anyway.
Reply 16
Original post by 999tigger
Dont have enough time for a full answer, but if youd posted on here and I'd seen it then I would have advised you against and said the outcome was highly predictable.

You say you did lot so of research, but it sounds like you missed key points.

To do Physics they are going to want to see Maths and Physics in most cases.

You are doing the wrong subjects.

Saying you have taught yourself physics and maths is only good if you have ended this with sitting and passing formal exams such as international A levels, then getting the right grades they needed for entrance.

Virtually all unis require GCSE Maths and English (or equivalent) so you would get rejected on that alone.

What grades did you get at BTEC and what were the qualifications and levels of each?

Are you in the living in the UK?

How long have you lived here?

Will keep the tab open and look back later.

They are in Spain and it seems all their education has been through the Spanish system, so GCSEs and A-levels and (I suspect) BTECs are not relevant...
Original post by Doones
They are in Spain and it seems all their education has been through the Spanish system, so GCSEs and A-levels and (I suspect) BTECs are not relevant...

Yep I got the no GCSE or A level.
He claims to have BTEC. Didint know they did international ones? We dont know what grades or which BTEC i.e level 3 extended diploma.

In the situation he has them then they dont have to be directly relevant de[ending one foundation entry requirements. I suspect its just mismatched and it was easy for the unis to reject.
Original post by Doones
Do you actually mean BTECs or the local equivalent in Spain, Bachillerato?

Spain doesn't do GCSEs - it makes it very confusing for us to help you if you are quoting UK qualifications that you aren't expected to have anyway.

When I talk about GSCE, BTEC or A-Levels, ofc I talk about the equivalents. BTEC level 2 it's equal to GCSE, BTEC level 3,4 it's equal to A-Levels

In Spain GCSE(called ESO) is academically equal to BTEC level 1-2. And A-Levels(bachillerato) it's = BTEC lvl 3-4

I quote UK qualification but are previously translated by myself
Reply 19
When I talk about GSCE, BTEC or A-Levels, ofc I talk about the equivalents. BTEC level 2 it's equal to GCSE, BTEC level 3,4 it's equal to A-Levels

In Spain GCSE(called ESO) is academically equal to BTEC level 1-2. And A-Levels(bachillerato) it's = BTEC lvl 3-4

I quote UK qualification but are previously translated by myself

Please just refer to your Spanish qualifications - it makes it very confusing for us to advise you when you talk about UK-only qualifications. It seemed as if you were studying at a UK college...

So let's start again... what *actual* qualifications do you have, or will achieve this academic year? And what grades?

Why can't you progress to a Spanish university?

Edit: also did you "translate" your qualifications when you applied to the UK universities? If so that was a mistake...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending