The Student Room Group

Which should I make my insurance?

Hey guys. So I've received all my offers now and it's time for me to pick my firm and insurance. I got offers from Loughborough, Edinburgh, Manchester and Nottingham. I got rejected from UCL haha. At first I was going to put Manchester as my firm and Edinburgh as my insurance but I've decided to make Edinburgh my firm. The grade requirements for Edinburgh is ABB and AAB for Loughborough and Manchester. I'm not even considering Nottingham as the grade requirements are too high (AAA). So I have to choose between Loughborough and Manchester for my insurance and I'm not really sure what to put. They both have higher grade requirements than my firm. If you guys could help me out that would be highly appreciated!
Reply 1
If they have higher grade requirements that your firm there really isn’t any point in you putting them down as your insurance since you will either get into your firm or none at all. Just don’t put a insurance down.
Original post by uglyguyy
Hey guys. So I've received all my offers now and it's time for me to pick my firm and insurance. I got offers from Loughborough, Edinburgh, Manchester and Nottingham. I got rejected from UCL haha. At first I was going to put Manchester as my firm and Edinburgh as my insurance but I've decided to make Edinburgh my firm. The grade requirements for Edinburgh is ABB and AAB for Loughborough and Manchester. I'm not even considering Nottingham as the grade requirements are too high (AAA). So I have to choose between Loughborough and Manchester for my insurance and I'm not really sure what to put. They both have higher grade requirements than my firm. If you guys could help me out that would be highly appreciated!

So you need to consider which of Manchester or Loughborough is more likely to accept BBB (despite their higher offers) as that is the only way you would get rejected from Edinburgh. What course are you applying for?
Reply 3
Yeah that's what I was thinking as well. My course is Economics. Which do you think would be more likely to accept BBB (hopefully I wont get that though haha).
Original post by harrysbar
So you need to consider which of Manchester or Loughborough is more likely to accept BBB (despite their higher offers) as that is the only way you would get rejected from Edinburgh. What course are you applying for?
(edited 4 years ago)
Yeah that's what I was thinking as well. My course is Economics. Which do you think would be more likely to accept BBB (hopefully I wont get that though haha).

Economics is a competitive course and I do think you would be lucky if either uni goes down to BBB on results day. I would advise you to look on the unistats website at the entry information, but I have just had a quick look and it seems to me that Loughborough would be more likely to accept lower grades than Manchester. You don't really have anything to lose by putting them down as your Insurance, although if you were unlucky enough to slip down to BBB, I think you might end up in Clearing. Hopefully it won't come to that and you'll get into Edinburgh anyway.

Or something like AAC, which might also result in an Edinburgh rejection.
Manchester guarantee accommodation to insurance intake - does Loughborough?
Original post by PQ
Manchester guarantee accommodation to insurance intake - does Loughborough?

No we don't. The official line is:

If you choose us as your insurance choice or have a late application, halls accommodation is not guaranteed, however we promise to help you secure University allocated accommodation either on campus or by referral to an off campus approved provider. Any applications received after 1 September will only be considered subject to availability.

Vicky

Quick Reply