The Student Room Group

Channel 4 apologises for Jon Snow's "white people" remark

Scroll to see replies

Considering it is London I imagine it would be shocking to see so many white people living in the capital of a majority white nation...
Reply 41
Original post by Justvisited
And in doing so, you have in your way committed the same type of mendacity as Snow's true culpa.

I don't think you know what "mendacity" means.

In a similar way, you're now irrelevantly pointing out that 17 million isn't a majority of 60 million, when you never raised this point before about any other plebiscite in British history, not one of which achieved so many votes for any option on the ballot paper.

I wasn't referring to the result of the referendum. I'm quite happy to accept that Leave gained a majority in the result.
However, we were talking about a different issue. I can't remember a situation where someone claimed that 17 million was the "majority of the country" (not "majority of voters" ) in a country of over 60 million.They made the claim, I merely corrected them.
I am somewhat puzzled as to why you are defending their claim. Do you think that 17 million is more than half of 60 million?
Original post by QE2
Not the majority, no. Just the ones who still insist that Brexit must happen, regardless.
Remember that only 17 million voted Leave, and some of those only did so on the basis of lies like the Bus of Mendacity. The population of the UK is over 60 million.
Perhaps "majority" doesn't mean what you think it means?

the vote was what 52-48% yes? so thats the majority of the UK, people who didn't or can't vote have no say and don't count

Politics is full of lies on each side no matter what, it's nieve to believe anything a politician says pretty much ever. So it's upto the people to decide who is the biggest liar, we voted to leave and it's as simple as that whether people were lied to or not, if they didn't want to leave then they wouldn't have voted to....

of the 17 million and 52% of voters that had a say and voted to leave we can assume that these voters represent a majority of the country, especially considering 50<52...

its a majority either way, regardless of my opinion.
Original post by Chakede
'xenophobic' possibly, in some cases could be debatable. Idiotic, not debatable.

demanding uk pull out of its most lucrative trade agreement that other countries have be falling over themselves to negotiate themselves in because some fantasiful promises of ' sovereignty' and the good old days'.

if a company director suddenly decided to cut his biggest client and deliberalty sit through years of reduced income/possible insolvensy because of some self assured superiority complex- what else would you call it

I'd call it a majority decision? Never said that brexit was a good decision or one I agreed with, just making a point that half of our country are not xenophobic for voting leave.
Even if the word white was replaced with black or Asian, I still wouldn't be offended. Where is the racism exactly if we are going by its definition? He merely gave a description of the rally, and from the sounds of it he was actually supporting white people than being against them.
No apologies were needed, is just more blood in the water in a scenario like this.

'you know nothing jon snow' etc:h:
Reply 46
Sounds like a snide remark regarding the high numbers of ethnics in london these days..
Reply 47
Right. I have been out on a birthday meal so anything I say tonight is not my responsibility.
Original post by Laurence863
the vote was what 52-48% yes? so thats the majority of the UK, people who didn't or can't vote have no say and don't count

NO! IT IS NOT THE MAJORITY OF THE UK!!!
How many times do you idiots need to be reminded of this? It's not even a mojority of the electorate!!!

Politics is full of lies on each side no matter what,

But it has been proved in the courts that teh Leave side was more lying than the Remain side.

it's nieve to believe anything a politician says pretty much ever. [/quote[ So you didn't believe any of the stuff you were told by the Leave camp. lol!

So it's upto the people to decide who is the biggest liar, we voted to leave and it's as simple as that whether people were lied to or not, if they didn't want to leave then they wouldn't have voted to, of the 17 million and 52% of voters that had a say and voted to leave we can assume that these voters represent a majority of the country, especially considering 50<52.......

This bit makes no sense. Could you rephrase it in better English.

its a majority either way, regardless of my opinion.

So 17 million is more than half of 47 million.
And that, Medames et Messieurs, is Brexit logic in a nutshell!
Reply 48
I'd call it a majority decision? just making a point that half of our country are not xenophobic for voting leave.

Oops, there you go again!
Slightly less than a third of the country voted Leave.
I'm sure it's just coincidence that Leavers seem to have the most difficulty dealing with reality. And numbers. An sometimes words.
Reply 49
Original post by ANM775
Sounds like a snide remark regarding the high numbers of ethnics in london these days..

But they were all on the "Revoke A50" march, not on the "Blood and Honour" march.
Original post by QE2
Oops, there you go again!
I'm sure it's just coincidence that Leavers seem to have the most difficulty dealing with reality. And numbers. An sometimes words.

By that argument, even fewer voted to remain, so that’s 16 million out of more than 60 million? Only a quarter of the population wanted to remain in the glorious EU.

Why should either side get to claim the remainder of the population who didn’t or couldn’t vote? It’s really desperate stuff.
Original post by QE2
The EU is both a political and economic union. It doesn't hide the fact of either.

What is it about a political union with the rest of Europe that you are so opposed to?
What will the benefits of leaving said system be?
Which leaders are you referring to?

Firstly it was not originally sold as anything more than an economic union.

Secondly. Like I said. There is no system in place to remove unwanted leaders. Regardless of who is in power at the time, that concept is basic to a sustainable government that aims for peace. The benefit of leaving said union is retaining that important right.
Reply 52
Original post by kazzykat95
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-march-jon-snow-apologises-white-people-rally-channel-4-a8847211.html
Personally I don't think he really meant to cause offence; a comment like that could really potentially damage his career and I don't think he'd want to risk it.

But what is all the fuss about? A white man says a lot of "white people..............". Why don't Channel 4 do something more important like help to find ways to publicise the fight against knife crime?
Reply 53
Original post by jameswhughes
By that argument, even fewer voted to remain, so that’s 16 million out of more than 60 million? Only a quarter of the population wanted to remain in the glorious EU.

But I never claimed that 16 million was more than half of 60 million. If I had, you could take the piss as well.

Why should either side get to claim the remainder of the population who didn’t or couldn’t vote? It’s really desperate stuff.

I'm not claiming that either.
Reply 54
Original post by Jebedee
Firstly it was not originally sold as anything more than an economic union.

Perhaps, but that doesn't answer the question of what you object to so much that you think it is worth all the negatives of leaving to address.

Secondly. Like I said. There is no system in place to remove unwanted leaders.

Which leaders are you referring to specifically? There are different positions that have different methods of election or appointment, but all have processes by which they can be removed.

Regardless of who is in power at the time, that concept is basic to a sustainable government that aims for peace. The benefit of leaving said union is retaining that important right.

How does leaving the EU give you the ability to remove its leaders?
Original post by QE2
Right. I have been out on a birthday meal so anything I say tonight is not my responsibility.

happy birthday btw then lol

Yep it is, if 52% of the votes were for leave then thats a majority, in what universe do you expect 100% of the population to want or be able to vote? Those who did want to and actually cared, voted and they represent the entire demographic of our country, the sample size was just over 30 million, so the likelihood that if all 60 million had voted the vote would have swayed to leave is most likely.

but both sides lied regardless, so the people would have been lied to either way.

Apologies Sir, or perhaps maaaster might prefer me to fetch his reading glasses and magnifying glaaaasss so he can read adequately?

There you go assuming I'd vote leave lol, believe it or not I'm a remainer. 17 million is more than half of the people who voted, thats all that matters, its a majority, the leave party won because it was a majority.....

My greatest apologies sir, as one perfect human being yourself and upon your graaand birthday I am humiliated to have berated you with such mundane gramatical skills, perhaps sir might like to make his point rather than focussing on miscommunication as this is not an English Language classroom?
Reply 56
happy birthday btw then lol

Yep it is, if 52% of the votes were for leave then thats a majority, in what universe do you expect 100% of the population to want or be able to vote? Those who did want to and actually cared, voted and they represent the entire demographic of our country, the sample size was just over 30 million, so the likelihood that if all 60 million had voted the vote would have swayed to leave is most likely.

but both sides lied regardless, so the people would have been lied to either way.

Apologies Sir, or perhaps maaaster might prefer me to fetch his reading glasses and magnifying glaaaasss so he can read adequately?

There you go assuming I'd vote leave lol, believe it or not I'm a remainer. 17 million is more than half of the people who voted, thats all that matters, its a majority, the leave party won because it was a majority.....

My greatest apologies sir, as one perfect human being yourself and upon your graaand birthday I am humiliated to have berated you with such mundane gramatical skills, perhaps sir might like to make his point rather than focussing on miscommunication as this is not an English Language classroom?

If a person chooses not to vote then that is their lookout.
Reply 57

You are not addressing the actual issue.
Whoever it was said that my comments meant that "the majority of the country" are xenophobes - not "the majority of those who voted". They were clearly wrong as my comment only applied to those who voted Leave, and I specifically said that it didn't apply to all of them.

Irrelevant to the point at hand.
And what demonstrable lies, lies that people actually voted for, did the Remain camp tell?

believe it or not I'm a remainer.

Don't believe it.
Original post by QE2

People who didn't vote are irrelevant. They have removed themselves from the decision making process.
Reply 59
Original post by TimmonaPortella
People who didn't vote are irrelevant. They have removed themselves from the decision making process.

Your point is irrelevant to the issue of who voted Leave. The claim that "The People" voted Leave is demonstrably false.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending