The Student Room Group

There is one thing people forget when it comes to the EU referendum

51% voted to leave while 49% voted to stay - THAT IS VERY CLOSE.

You can't just ignore half the country especially when MP's can't seem to to agree about how to leave the EU and all the drama that has came with it.

A second referendum is definitely justified giving the circumstances.

Yeah lets just not have another vote despite all the chaos this has created despite the fact it was a very close result. :rolleyes:

If it was 51% in favour of remaining and we had chaos similar to the situation we are in now I would support another referendum and people like Nigel Farage would be demanding another referendum.

Scroll to see replies

Do you realise the cost and the damages the last referendum caused?? 1 life was lost and each party is split for those leaving and remaining. If a choice was made, how many good MPs will jump ship from the cabinet as a result?

A decsion was made, so it's no use sulkimg about it. The after effects we are seeing are as a result of delays and delays, and not because we left (as we haven't yet). If anyone is at fault it's the conservatives who voted remain for being hung up on their loss. And now instead of an overhaul of the cabinet, Theresa May only reshulffled them after the general election

if the remains win in the 2nd referendum, both sides have won, so you're siggesting best of 3?
Reply 2
Original post by ddsizebra
Do you realise the cost and the damages the last referendum caused?? 1 life was lost and each party is split for those leaving and remaining. If a choice was made, how many good MPs will jump ship from the cabinet as a result?

A decsion was made, so it's no use sulkimg about it. The after effects we are seeing are as a result of delays and delays, and not because we left (as we haven't yet). If anyone is at fault it's the conservatives who voted remain for being hung up on their loss. And now instead of an overhaul of the cabinet, Theresa May only reshulffled them after the general election

if the remains win in the 2nd referendum, both sides have won, so you're siggesting best of 3?

We keep going until one side gets at least 60% of the vote.
If Remain had won, we'd presumably take into account the 48% of Leave into future negotiations with the EU. I don't think we'd have a winner-takes-all mentality, so I am not sure why we have no compromise to the proposition supported by the Leave lot that we must leave the EU.

Surely the incredibly high numbers must mean that we have something as close as possible to what the Remain lot want, while delivering on the majority's wishes.
You can’t just keep rerunning a vote, which is expensive to do, because it was close.
Original post by jnrgekrjg
We keep going until one side gets at least 60% of the vote.

Are you willing to fund for the campaigns? The answer is final. Or get a better deal that satisfies both voters. But the remains MP are bloody annoying and just plain difficult
Reply 6
Original post by Andrew97
You can’t just keep rerunning a vote, which is expensive to do, because it was close.

Yes you can.

And it's expensive to leave the EU anyway.
Reply 7
Original post by ddsizebra
Are you willing to fund for the campaigns? The answer is final. Or get a better deal that satisfies both voters. But the remains MP are bloody annoying and just plain difficult

Yes. I will be happy for the tax I pay to be used to fund campaigns.
51% voted to leave while 49% voted to stay - THAT IS VERY CLOSE.

You can't just ignore half the country especially when MP's can't seem to to agree about how to leave the EU and all the drama that has came with it.

A second referendum is definitely justified giving the circumstances.

Yeah lets just not have another vote despite all the chaos this has created despite the fact it was a very close result. :rolleyes:

If it was 51% in favour of remaining and we had chaos similar to the situation we are in now I would support another referendum and people like Nigel Farage would be demanding another referendum.

It was 51.9 v 48.1.
If the vote had been the other way you wouldnt be making a thread like this.

I can see a case for having another vote, even at the undesirable expense of ignoring the original. Things have changed a lot in the three years. The original ref was poorly conceived and a complete mess. Not on the grounds you stated though.
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
It was 51.9 v 48.1.
If the vote had been the other way you wouldnt be making a thread like this.

If we have chaos similar to this I definitely would be.

So would Nigel Farage as I remember hearing from him on the night of the election when he was told it looks like leave will lose marginally and he said something along the lines of the large proportion of people who voted leave can't just be ignored and he will keep fighting if they lose.
Yes you can.

And it's expensive to leave the EU anyway.

Not really. Nothing else will get done in government and people will get sick of being told to vote on the exact same thing again because “Although you won, you didn’t win by enough”
Reply 11
There was no agreement that the vote had to be >60% to have effect. And let's face it, if the result had been 61% in favour of Brexit, there would still be the loud 39% saying it should have been >70%...

You can't just forget about a huge referendum with the one of the highest voting turnouts in history. That's when democracy disappears - when votes no longer matter.
Yes. I will be happy for the tax I pay to be used to fund campaigns.

And how about the 51% who wanted to leave? money doesn't grow on trees and increasing taxes because of sore losers is a poor excuse. Going foward e.g. improve the deal is better and more logical. It's the PM responsibility to achieve this. People on the remain side should've fought harder than sitting in content thinking that it was going to be an easy win...
The issue is that so many MPs are blatantly refusing to compromise. Many are vehemently for no deal, many are looking for a 2nd referendum, want to retract article 50 etc.
We can't remain, over half of the nation (at the time of the vote) didnt want to stay part of the EU, but we can't completely leave with a no deal - almost half WANTED to be part of the EU. MPs on both sides cannot completely ignore the opposition's wishes in a situation like this, regardless of who is 'right', we're gonna end up leaving with no deal, even though the vast majority (on BOTH sides of the vote) don't want that.

(Coming from someone who would have voted for Brexit by the way)
Original post by TimlinGuy
The issue is that so many MPs are blatantly refusing to compromise. Many are vehemently for no deal, many are looking for a 2nd referendum, want to retract article 50 etc.
We can't remain, over half of the nation (at the time of the vote) didnt want to stay part of the EU, but we can't completely leave with a no deal - almost half WANTED to be part of the EU. MPs on both sides cannot completely ignore the opposition's wishes in a situation like this, regardless of who is 'right', we're gonna end up leaving with no deal, even though the vast majority (on BOTH sides of the vote) don't want that.

Exactly! it's the cabinet's fault and now they are so incompetent and have the nerve to suggest a 2nd referendum! Is it a democracy to ask for another vote you want???

I also voted brexit and agree that we should not have a hard brexit or leave completely with no deal.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 15

So would Nigel Farage as I remember hearing from him on the night of the election when he was told it looks like leave will lose marginally and he said something along the lines of the large proportion of people who voted leave can't just be ignored and he will keep fighting if they lose.

That's not an argument. Just because one person thinks that, doesn't make it right. And if the result had been remain, there would have been no more referendums ever... no matter what Nigel Farage did.

I dont believe you.

The problem is less about the result, but more the way the referendum was conducted and the fatal assumption that people who wanted leave were all voting for the same thing.
it was a terrible vote to begin with, it shouldn't have been such a binary "yes or no" choice. no one really knew what leaving would entail or the various options, it was a knee-jerk anti-establishment win. personally i think a second referendum makes perfect sense, most of the goverment is against it and we know far more about it now than we did earlier, including all the negatives it would entail.
be careful bro I was in an argument with Paul on here for hours. He's coming for this thread
Original post by TimlinGuy

Tbf they can because they are politicians and they can use eitger the conscience argument or just the one that says no deal is better than a bad deal. You can ignore the opposition because if you stick by your guns then you get the outcome you wanted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending