The Student Room Group

What's the best thing to do on a first date?

So back to the old age conundrum; what is the best thing to do on a first date? :holmes:

I'm nearly 2 and a half years into my relationship with my partner and we're constantly trying to think of new things to do as 'dates' or 'date nights' but our first date consisted of bonding over honeycomb latté's in a Costa in Manchester - it's where I also proposed to her so our first date will always, always mean something :redface:

I've always thought somewhere chatty, where you can get to know each other are brill places for them.

What ideas do you guys have for first dates? Have you been on any memorable or...less memorable first dates? Let us know below!
You are right there, definitely someplace chatty.

I always propose a cafe since you have something to occupy your hands and you get to chat.
Or a walk in a park if the weather is nice!

My best one was at an arcade. I had so much fun! Although, later I was confused what I enjoyed more, his company or playing games?
My first date with my OH was just simple dinner in a restaurant. Really fun though.

Currently our favourite date (well for me at least) is going to this really cute hiking trail. You follow a little stream up until the waterfall (which is just a trickle of water). The first time we went was with his friends and I was wearing a summer dress. They didn't tell me it was a hike! I made it but cut my leg on a log. Second time was just us two and I was more appropriately dressed. I'm looking forward to doing it again in the summer :smile: I really like it because I'm not outdoorsy but he is so it gets me out my comfort zone.
Original post by Andrew97
Bone.

Spoiler

Cinema is bad. You can't even get to know each other much.

Original post by DrawTheLine
My first date with my OH was just simple dinner in a restaurant. Really fun though.

Currently our favourite date (well for me at least) is going to this really cute hiking trail. You follow a little stream up until the waterfall (which is just a trickle of water). The first time we went was with his friends and I was wearing a summer dress. They didn't tell me it was a hike! I made it but cut my leg on a log. Second time was just us two and I was more appropriately dressed. I'm looking forward to doing it again in the summer :smile: I really like it because I'm not outdoorsy but he is so it gets me out my comfort zone.

That sounds absolutely lovely! :h:
Each day I take the bus into Hull, especially if it's a sunny day, as the bus passes the KCOM Stadium, I imagine myself taking a loved one for a walk around the park next to it.

Original post by batter mix
That sounds absolutely lovely! :h:

It's one of the first things we have planned when I'm there next! There's not normally anyone else there either so it's romantic too
Original post by Deyesy
I'm nearly 2 and a half years into my relationship with my partner and we're constantly trying to think of new things to do as 'dates' or 'date nights' but our first date consisted of bonding over honeycomb latté's in a Costa in Manchester - it's where I also proposed to her so our first date will always, always mean something :redface:

Looool, the first time I read it, I thought you meant that you proposed to her on your first date
Reply 8
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Looool, the first time I read it, I thought you meant that you proposed to her on your first date

Nah, we were together a year and a half before I did :lol:
The last person I dated took me to a Victorian cemetery on the first date. :giggle: Got a funny reaction when I sent my parents and besties a picture saying, "look, he took me to a graveyard! :awesome: " Easily the most memorable first date. We climbed a mountain on the second. We didn't work as a couple but he left me with some good memories. :tongue:

I like that though. I find visiting local attractions or museums to be much less awkward than being sat across a table from someone.
I loved my first date, it was simple and just great. I told my boyfriend at I didn’t really like the idea of sitting down at some restaurant (bit too cliche for me) so we decided to go for a walk in the park and honestly it was amazing, we just talked for hours and we’d mess around the lakes (pretending to push each other in) and in the park. It was so much fun, the awkwardness of the first date just vanished.
Reply 11
Original post by Deyesy
So back to the old age conundrum; what is the best thing to do on a first date? :holmes:

I've always thought somewhere chatty, where you can get to know each other are brill places for them.

What ideas do you guys have for first dates? Have you been on any memorable or...less memorable first dates? Let us know below!

Day trip to paris? A fabulous restaurant (save up!)?
Original post by Deyesy

There is no best thing to do. That's why nobody can produce a definitive answer. All that really matters is that it's somewhere you can talk. Some people do this fine over coffee, some over a meal, some with a flask of coffee on a park bench overlooking the duck-pond. Does it matter? Nope.

This whole idea of "date night" seems a little silly tbh. Yeah, do something with your SO, but "dating" when you're an established couple? Go out, cook together, watch a film, whatever, but that's not "dates", it's "spending time with your SO". There's a difference.

I've only ever been on one date, in the normal sense of the word. I met a girl when I was out one night and asked her out. She was a total stunner. Date went OK, but she ghosted me.
Original post by Deyesy

For a first date:

Keep it simple and don’t over complicate it. The environment must allow for the attention to be on both of you e.g. arcades, any type of physical activity isn’t appropriate.

For long relationships:

Perhaps team work activities where you can challenge each other (playfully) or cooperate which will increase your bond.

Hope the info was somewhat valuable 👍
Bang.
Original post by sinfonietta
The last person I dated took me to a Victorian cemetery on the first date. :giggle:

Which one was that? I think it'd be a cool experience, especially if it's not rammed or has ugly modern headstones. I always wander around old cemeteries whenever I have time; fun to play the game where you find the oldest grave.
Original post by Notoriety
Which one was that? I think it'd be a cool experience, especially if it's not rammed or has ugly modern headstones. I always wander around old cemeteries whenever I have time; fun to play the game where you find the oldest grave.

It was Glasgow Necropolis. It's very pretty - as far as cemeteries go anyway. :tongue:
My date flew from Ireland to Edinburgh as ours is a distance relationship and we went to the cinema then to eat at a restaurant afterwards. After this we had to get a hotel as both of us lived too far away to go back

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending