The Student Room Group

People who were too young for a Brexit vote: how do you feel?

I'm asking because I turned 18 on the day of the vote, and none of my friends were able to and many still feel angry, pessimistic and cheated.

Scroll to see replies

The whole thing is a mess and i'm still not sure who is to blame.
The problem with having a minimum voting age (which we should absolutely have) is that people aged just below it will always complain (not a criticism of them)
No life experience, voting should be 25 minimum.
Original post by Andrew97
The problem with having a minimum voting age (which we should absolutely have) is that people aged just below it will always complain (not a criticism of them)

Aye, the sorites paradox.
Most people at my school (me included) were pissed because we were close to voting age and now the results are going to affect our future. The pound is already falling, and it's not exactly ideal growing up with economic uncertainty
Original post by schoolsboring
Most people at my school (me included) were pissed because we were close to voting age and now the results are going to affect our future. The pound is already falling, and it's not exactly ideal growing up with economic uncertainty

If we remain in the EU you will eventually loose the pound altogether.
Original post by lollystar888
I'm asking because I turned 18 on the day of the vote, and none of my friends were able to and many still feel angry, pessimistic and cheated.

It’s so unfair!!

I think mothers who are pregnant should be able to cast two votes
I'm way below the voting age. I don't really know much about the EU, lol. I do think my beliefs are somewhat more accurate than my school friends, one said that Brexit would cause a replication of what happened to Germany after WW1 conomically. And they simplify why ppl voted to leave. My teachers don't even correct that ****, they probably agree, lol.
(edited 4 years ago)
it sucks.. but a lot of things about life suck.

If you made the voting age 16.. then a 15 year old with their birthday on the referendum would feel the same..
if you want to lower it because its your future at stake.. well a 10 year old has even more future at stake, what about them..
etc. etc.

Lowering the voting age in general is a poor ideological argument that's generally only used by those who know they will profit from it (liberal parties who want more youth voters)

There is a much stronger and more factual argument for raising the voting age.. but its one that will never happen, and should never happen, because the social unrest would not be worth it.
Original post by Obolinda
I'm way below the voting age. I don't really know much about the EU, lol. I do think my beliefs are somewhat more accurate than my school friends, one said that Brexit would cause a replication of what happened to Germany after WW2 economically. And they simplify why ppl voted to leave. My teachers don't even correct that ****, they probably agree, lol.

After WWII Germany had an ‘economic miracle’ I really don’t see that happening here as we aren’t way down in the doldrums to start with and we mainly sell services
Original post by DrMikeHuntHertz
If we remain in the EU you will eventually loose the pound altogether.

That's incorrect it was negotiated with the EU the UK would keep the British sterling as it was a very economically advanced currency #5 in the world (#4 before Brexit). There was absolutely no way they would have made the UK drop the pound especially as they know the Euro is an unstable idea.
Original post by Andrew97

Of course they'll complain. I'd complain.
I moved to London alone from a foreign country by the age of 16. I signed by own rental agreement at the age of 17 and I travelled and hitchhiked Europe alone at 17. I got my first full-time job at 16 and have worked part time alongside my studies since 16. I've paid tax into two government systems before I was eligible to vote and have a say on what my money should be spent on in either country.
I applied for universities without parental or teacher advice.
My parents are still there, supporting me all the way, but age does not determine independence/life experience. There are 25 year olds who still live at home with their parents.
I am not any more "independent" now when I was when I was 17, the only difference is that I can legally get smashed. I'm not more politically aware.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by random_matt

😲!! 25 is ridiculous.
You become an adult at 18 so you should be allowed to vote at this age.
Lowering the voting age is stupid because people will always be left out but, I definitely think that those that are able to vote should use their vote in consideration of the youth that is unable to vote. My grandparents voted for Brexit and not going to I'm not sure they're even going to be alive to see the full effects and repercussions. At the end of the day, it will affect the youth the most because my generation is going to have to live in this world that we didn't vote for.

I just think that when the older (like 80's age range) people should've used their vote to reflect their younger families view maybe, because they won't necessarily be around for the whole thing-ish.

This is just my opinion dont come at me
if they were too young to vote they're too young to have a say or to feel any emotions or effects at all.

ive got enough life experience to know that brexit is ****ed and if younger people had voted (and maybe they'd put a cap on old people voting who will be dead before we feel the effects of brexit), maybe we wouldn't be in the mess we're in now. it's our future
Original post by pon1de2replay3
ive got enough life experience to know that brexit is ****ed and if younger people had voted (and maybe they'd put a cap on old people voting who will be dead before we feel the effects of brexit), maybe we wouldn't be in the mess we're in now. it's our future

Again, ignorance and youth go hand in hand.
Original post by Bang Outta Order
if they were too young to vote they're too young to have a say or to feel any emotions or effects at all.

How does this mean they don't feel any emotions? Also, they'll still feel the effects of Brexit, no matter their age.
what part of what i said is untrue?
Again, ignorance and youth go hand in hand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending