The Student Room Group

Warwick vs Edinburgh vs Manchester for CS Engineering

I'm an international student and I constantly use QS or THE rankings to see which school ranks better. It seems like Edinburgh has the best international reputation followed by Manchester. However, UK rankings like unistats don't seem to give Edinburgh such a high place. Why is that? Which university will give me the best job prospects in UK as well as internationally?
Where do you wanna be known for the University you take? UK or world ? Answer- World ! So look for QS, THE or AWRU . Which place is more likely to give you job, after u finish your study? UK or World? Answer - UK !!! (unless you dont apply for any job in UK and come home jobless and thereafter apply).
I guess I answered in pretty straight simple lines. Yes those metric ranks are based as perceived by World and how they see!!! but after end of your study you will get Job or other opportunities from the Univs which are more respected in UK !!!! In case of UK - Manchester > Warwick > Edinburgh !!!
Original post by americandreampls
I'm an international student and I constantly use QS or THE rankings to see which school ranks better. It seems like Edinburgh has the best international reputation followed by Manchester. However, UK rankings like unistats don't seem to give Edinburgh such a high place. Why is that? Which university will give me the best job prospects in UK as well as internationally?
That's an excellent point. Thank you!
Original post by ClairaSuzen
Where do you wanna be known for the University you take? UK or world ? Answer- World ! So look for QS, THE or AWRU . Which place is more likely to give you job, after u finish your study? UK or World? Answer - UK !!! (unless you dont apply for any job in UK and come home jobless and thereafter apply).
I guess I answered in pretty straight simple lines. Yes those metric ranks are based as perceived by World and how they see!!! but after end of your study you will get Job or other opportunities from the Univs which are more respected in UK !!!! In case of UK - Manchester > Warwick > Edinburgh !!!
Your most welcome :smile:
That's an excellent point. Thank you!
Hey mate, first you can't know where will be your best experience;

Scenario 1: You go manchester and meet your future wife/husband
Scenario 2: You go Edinburgh and meet some contact who will introduce you to the best job you will ever have.

Web pages are not going to tell you where you will have the best journey while/after your studies, so you'd not give too much priority about the rankings information which is a bit random, or at least this is my opinion.

I suggest you to care about other univ stuff rather than just rankings. The best job prospects you will have it will depend on how you spend your time and efforts, not where you studied.

Have a good day.
Don't worry about it, once you get past the top 200, which all of those universities are in, employers across the world don't really care and there's a fairly negligible quality difference between them.

Edinburgh loses out in the UK league tables because of the student satisfaction rating and slightly lower research rating. Low student satisfaction scores can be very difficult to judge as there are a myriad of things which can scar a person's perception at the end of their course when they fill in the National Student Survey. Research rating is mostly irrelevant for undergrad/postgrad taught as while the research you do in your dissertation is an important part of uni life, it allows means basically nothing to anyone who isn't in a very small field. It's also pretty irrelevant for postgrad research too because a uni can be absolutely stellar at one tiny subject and useless at the rest, if your research is in that tiny subject then you'll be treated like how most people imagine Oxbridge grads are even if the university you graduated from doesn't even appear in the top 2000. Edinburgh is really, really good for AI, so this is relevant to them.

I would consider travel links too as an international student. Manchester will likely have the best flight options though Warwick (via Birmingham airport) and Edinburgh won't be far behind. Manchester is definitely the best by rail though and has a very good public transport system.
You're right. Traveling ease is quite important too. Thank you :smile:
Original post by Helloworld_95
Don't worry about it, once you get past the top 200, which all of those universities are in, employers across the world don't really care and there's a fairly negligible quality difference between them.

Edinburgh loses out in the UK league tables because of the student satisfaction rating and slightly lower research rating. Low student satisfaction scores can be very difficult to judge as there are a myriad of things which can scar a person's perception at the end of their course when they fill in the National Student Survey. Research rating is mostly irrelevant for undergrad/postgrad taught as while the research you do in your dissertation is an important part of uni life, it allows means basically nothing to anyone who isn't in a very small field. It's also pretty irrelevant for postgrad research too because a uni can be absolutely stellar at one tiny subject and useless at the rest, if your research is in that tiny subject then you'll be treated like how most people imagine Oxbridge grads are even if the university you graduated from doesn't even appear in the top 2000. Edinburgh is really, really good for AI, so this is relevant to them.

I would consider travel links too as an international student. Manchester will likely have the best flight options though Warwick (via Birmingham airport) and Edinburgh won't be far behind. Manchester is definitely the best by rail though and has a very good public transport system.

Quick Reply

Latest