Avtuga
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi all,

I'm an international student and I'm currently hold MSc Finance offers from UCL and Warwick. As I know from this forum UCL is overall a strong uni, but Finance is not such a strong programme as the rest, while Warwick maybe is not so respectable overall, but MSc Finance is one the best programmes there. So, can you, please, advise me, what uni to choose? Of course, the advantage of the UCL is that it gives an opportunity to study surrounded by the largest companies, but is it enough? Are there students who studied at these programs and can tell how interesting or useful were the subjects from the courses? I would like to work in the sphere of investment banking and I'm completely confused, because I like the UCL program a little more, but everyone says that Warwick is much stronger. Please help me with an advise.

Also, I'm thinking (but not sure yet) about PhD in the US, will your advise change with this information?

Thanks!
V944817
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
It's best to check their reputations in your home country. However as far as IB is involved I think leading London unis have an edge over others, except Oxbridge tho.
9forty
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
As a Warwick undergrad, hopefully, I can give some insight. I think you are right on aggregate UCL is better than Warwick; but when you look at business, economics, and maths Warwick has a considerable advantage. The Msc. Finance programme at Warwick is meant to be a top 10 programme globally. Also in terms of banking, I think UCL and Warwick are largely on par if you look at IBD intake roughly 9% of the intake is Warwick and 9% is UCL; but Warwick's intake is mostly compromised of their strong subjects (econ, business & maths) whereas UCL's comes from everywhere. If I were you, I would pick Warwick especially if you want to study further. As an undergrad it is common to hear peers being accepted into oxbridge and some into top ivy leagues for masters programmes. That being said, UCL is in London and london is a lot nicer than coventry.
V944817
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by 9forty)
... IBD intake roughly 9% of the intake is Warwick and 9% is UCL ...
Can you post the link to such info? I'm interested.
Thank you.
9forty
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
bit old (1.5 years) but here: https://news.efinancialcareers.com/u...morgan-stanley
(Original post by V944817)
Can you post the link to such info? I'm interested.
Thank you.
Last edited by 9forty; 5 months ago
mba1413
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Avtuga)
Hi all,

I'm an international student and I'm currently hold MSc Finance offers from UCL and Warwick. As I know from this forum UCL is overall a strong uni, but Finance is not such a strong programme as the rest, while Warwick maybe is not so respectable overall, but MSc Finance is one the best programmes there. So, can you, please, advise me, what uni to choose? Of course, the advantage of the UCL is that it gives an opportunity to study surrounded by the largest companies, but is it enough? Are there students who studied at these programs and can tell how interesting or useful were the subjects from the courses? I would like to work in the sphere of investment banking and I'm completely confused, because I like the UCL program a little more, but everyone says that Warwick is much stronger. Please help me with an advise.

Also, I'm thinking (but not sure yet) about PhD in the US, will your advise change with this information?

Thanks!
While I acknowledge that the MSc Finance program at UCL is newer compared to Warwick's, the department of economics at UCL is the leading one in Europe regarding research and it was made in conjunction with them so that gives you a bit more confidence that they know what they do.

In terms of the actual course and module structure, they have very strong teachers and gurus in their field. A lot of the courses you will be studying are practical examples of work done at IBs or corporate finance team so gives you a really good prep when applying to these jobs.

I personally believe your uni name carries much more weight than your degree.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (153)
59.3%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.26%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.44%

Watched Threads