The Student Room Group

Ban any advertising for cars which aren't zero emissions

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/244681
Signing this petition will maybe do at least something to lower the emissions.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TensorTympani
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/244681
Signing this petition will maybe do at least something to lower the emissions.

They have had them for 100 years but suppressed them

https://www.stolenhistory.org/threads/ditch-tesla-buy-babcock-runabout-1-244-miles-on-one-battery-in-1909.21/
This is actually a good idea. My only concern is that it might be too far - perhaps allowing low emissions vehicles to be advertised too would have more effect on getting high emissions vehicles off the road.
what about hydrogen vehicles?, as they do emit water vapour but are a very good alternative to standard cars.
Reply 4
There is no such thing as a zero emissions car. Even with an electric vehicle, how do you think that electricity is produced? It doesn't just magically spawn out of the ether, some heavily polluting coal/oil/nuclear power plant produced most of it.
They are fine but not sustainable.
Original post by cuber314159
what about hydrogen vehicles?, as they do emit water vapour but are a very good alternative to standard cars.
True, I get your point so if we got a petrol car we would be releasing the pollution straight out of the car whereas if you get an electric car then the pollution you would have emitted is being emitted at the power station.
However if we put this into force it will force car manufacturers to develop technology such as a solar powered car.
Original post by Wōden
There is no such thing as a zero emissions car. Even with an electric vehicle, how do you think that electricity is produced? It doesn't just magically spawn out of the ether, some heavily polluting coal/oil/nuclear power plant produced most of it.
True, I get your point so if we got a petrol car we would be releasing the pollution straight out of the car whereas if you get an electric car then the pollution you would have emitted is being emitted at the power station.
However if we put this into force it will force car manufacturers to develop technology such as a solar powered car.

Even battery cars are very polluting have you ever seen how these battery’s are produced?

It takes about 40 litres of oil just to make one tyre etc.

I won’t be signing your petition because I think it’s stupid, the car industry is doing absolutely loads at the moment to make electric vehicles work and making petrol models more instead of diesel which is much better
This is a good idea. We have helped protect people from second hand smoking so why should we breathe in exhaust pollution.
So is this suggesting that we all scrap the several million cars on our roads right now and burn even more energy retrieving, recycling and extracting the materials required to manufacture new vehicles?

I drive a 15 year old car. I do about 3000 miles a year. Which is better for the environment? Continue to drive it or make and drive a new car?

BTW Electric cars are not zero emission unless you are charging them with renewable or nuclear energy. I know that replacing gas heating with electric would require 5 new massive power plants in the UK. How much more power generation would we need for electric cars?

Calling for zero emission cars is far too symplistic.
(edited 5 years ago)
Wouldn't make a difference. People buy cars rarely due to the emission statistics, due to due brands they like and think are good (Audi, BMW, Range Rover) or because they get the job done and do what you need (VW)
Original post by Wōden

Exactly what I was about to post.

As well as lithium mining, which has an environmental impact.

IMO, this is a silly idea. Just increase the road tax. Simple.

A solar powered car in the UK? Where the sun comes out for 2 days a year? You must be having a laugh.
So no Top Gear? Much as I never watch it, I cannot see it happening. I'd prefer there to be a separate driving test for Chelsea Tractors (so cars would be smaller) and if measurable, preference in secondary school applications for those who walk their child to primary school (if both are able-bodied). If you think the latter seems far-fetched, people are prepared to fake their faith for several years for a good school, so I am sure a mile walk each day would be done.
Reply 14
Not sure what the advertising ban would actually do but as for moving on from petrol cars...no thanks, I like my top tax bracket Evo.
(edited 5 years ago)
Force the companies to not advertise the majority of their product whilst the other product is still polluting, yes this will happen.
Original post by RoyalSheepy
A solar powered car in the UK? Where the sun comes out for 2 days a year? You must be having a laugh.

If you are so eager to take of any ideas that are on the table to solve the problem you may as well put forward your own idea.

If you increase road tax what is to happen to the people who need a car for everyday use such as if they are in an area with not very good public transport and they have to travel far then what will they do?
Original post by ByEeek
So is this suggesting that we all scrap the several million cars on our roads right now and burn even more energy retrieving, recycling and extracting the materials required to manufacture new vehicles?

I drive a 15 year old car. I do about 3000 miles a year. Which is better for the environment? Continue to drive it or make and drive a new car?

BTW Electric cars are not zero emission unless you are charging them with renewable or nuclear energy. I know that replacing gas heating with electric would require 5 new massive power plants in the UK. How much more power generation would we need for electric cars?

Calling for zero emission cars is far too symplistic.

What?

OP wanted to ban advertising. They aren't even asking to ban sales (which the government already plans to do), let alone whatever you are on about!
Original post by Andrew97
Wouldn't make a difference. People buy cars rarely due to the emission statistics, due to due brands they like and think are good (Audi, BMW, Range Rover) or because they get the job done and do what you need (VW)

I agree, people buy the brand.

Hence why you target advertising!

Isn't increasing road tax (which is based on emissions) just providing exactly the same incentives, and doing exactly the same thing with all the same downsides, as an advertising ban? Its just a different way of targeting.
If you increase road tax what is to happen to the people who need a car for everyday use such as if they are in an area with not very good public transport and they have to travel far then what will they do?

Well if you get a low emissions vehicle you don't pay road tax!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending