The Student Room Group

FCO Graduate Intern Scheme 2019

Scroll to see replies

How long do we get to answer each question?
Just out of curiosity is everyone who's got a interview in uni or have you graduated?:smile:
I have an interview and I graduated from my Master's degree in 2018. I failed Diplo Fast Stream at the vid interview stage so fingers crossed for this one!
Original post by Lucyrosie
Just out of curiosity is everyone who's got a interview in uni or have you graduated?:smile:
2 mins
Original post by Redistricting22
How long do we get to answer each question?
Has anyone done the VI yet? What were the questions for it?
I've done it. Obviously I don't want to give everyone here an unfair advantage to everyone else but the questions are simple enough and easy to answer if you've already done the initial application.
Original post by bennzo1238
Has anyone done the VI yet? What were the questions for it?
Would you say the competency used for the application is enough preparation? Also how long did preparation take for you? And did you do all 10 competencies or just the 4 from the application. (Sorry to bombard you with questions)
Original post by ReginaHunter
I've done it. Obviously I don't want to give everyone here an unfair advantage to everyone else but the questions are simple enough and easy to answer if you've already done the initial application.
Does that include preparing for answer?
Original post by ReginaHunter
2 mins
How many questions are there total? I seem to remember reading it somewhere but can't remember the exact number?
5 questions
Original post by H1A2R3R4I5E6T7
How many questions are there total? I seem to remember reading it somewhere but can't remember the exact number?
Basically don't worry about the other competencies. 2 mins doesn't include preparation for the answer - I took about 20 seconds or less for prep
Original post by Lucyrosie
Would you say the competency used for the application is enough preparation? Also how long did preparation take for you? And did you do all 10 competencies or just the 4 from the application. (Sorry to bombard you with questions)
So if there are 5 questions and 4 are on the competencies in the previous stage, is the fifth question related to the personal development/motivation section? And can you end your answer before the 2 minutes are up or do you have to time your response to 2 minutes?
Thanks
@Redistricting22 - did you do the VI? any insights?
Original post by jameskav
@Redistricting22 - did you do the VI? any insights?

Not yet - I'm abroad and won't be able to do it until Monday morning. I don't have a lot of time to prepare which is why I want to know as much as I can now! I didn't follow their STAR competency method in the written application so I might use that for the interview. I have heard you can end your answer before the time is up though.

Is it better to use multiple examples for one competency, or use one example but develop it more (this is what I did for the previous section?
hi! new here. Just received an email from the fco saying that completing the interview quickly gives you more of a chance of getting the job?? seems a bit unfair...
I just saw this as well, its very unfair!! Im going to call them tomorrow to confirm this. Have you done it yet?
Original post by anuttuna
hi! new here. Just received an email from the fco saying that completing the interview quickly gives you more of a chance of getting the job?? seems a bit unfair...
not yet! I didn't realise there was a first come first serve thing, so wanted to make use of all the time
Original post by hollway1234
I just saw this as well, its very unfair!! Im going to call them tomorrow to confirm this. Have you done it yet?
Hi, just done my VI then, I feel like I blabbered a bit too much and repeated myself a bit, but I don't think I could have done anything else to combat my nerves haha. Also yeah, I got the same email which said that completing the interview early gives you a better chance, which I find really unfair too. Have you managed to ring them yet or get a response from them about it?
Really?? That seems unfair. I didn't get that email... I completed my VI on Friday. Have you done yours?
Original post by anuttuna
I'd be incredibly surprised if it was first come first served given the Civil Service Principles of Recruitment. I remember getting the same message last year, but I interpreted it more as - you're more likely to give a good interview, and therefore pass, if you do it in good time.... rather than forgetting and then panicking and having to do it last minute before the deadline (as I did with my Fast Stream VI which I failed...)

Quick Reply

Latest