The Student Room Group

What if Germany, France, Italy and Spain wanted to join the United Kingdom ?

What if they wanted to change to the British flag, adopt the English language and adopt the British culture ?

Should we let them ?

Scroll to see replies

we used to own bits of France. why not ?
Original post by the bear
we used to own bits of France. why not ?

First we leave the EU.

Then we resurrect the Angevin Empire.

Huzzah.
Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe
First we leave the EU.

Huzzah.

we could start a chain of restaurants called Burgers of Calais

:h:
When we owned France with me as it’s regent. The good old days.
Reply 5
I would feel sorry for them as French and Italian culture is much more better than British culture in many ways, but would be very happy because..you know a bigger UK? Who in this country would not want that?
And while we are it, we can count this as payback for what France did during the American revolution
Sacrificing Gibraltar for Spain joining the U.K. could be on the cards? Throw in the Isle of Wight for brownie points too whilst we’re at it.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by The RAR
I would feel sorry for them as French and Italian culture is much more better than British culture in many ways, but would be very happy because..you know a bigger UK? Who in this country would not want that?
And while we are it, we can count this as payback for what France did during the American revolution

hmmm i think the Germans had a word for this...."Living Room" ?
Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe
First we leave the EU.

Huzzah.

Lol

I don't think that's a flyer
What on Earth? No, they wouldn’t want to and rightly so. What an idiotic thread.
Original post by Nalk1573
What if they wanted to change to the British flag, adopt the English language and adopt the British culture ?

Should we let them ?

"At this most fateful moment in the history of the modern world The Governments of the United Kingdom and the French Republic make this declaration of indissoluble union and unyielding resolution in their common defence of justice and freedom against subjection to a system which reduces mankind to a life of robots and slaves.

The two governments declare that France and Great Britain shall no longer be two nations, but one Franco-British Union.

The constitution of the Union will provide for joint organs of defence, foreign, financial, and economic policies.

Every citizen of France will enjoy immediately citizenship of Great Britain; every British subject will become a citizen of France.

Both countries will share responsibility for the repair of the devastation of war, wherever it occurs in their territories, and the resources of both shall be equally, and as one, applied to the purpose.

During the war there shall be a single War Cabinet, and all the forces of Britain and France, whether on land, see, or in the air, will be placed under its direction. It will govern from wherever it best can. The two Parliaments will be formally associated. The nations of the British Empire are already forming new armies. France will keep her available forces in the field, on the sea, and in the air. The Union appeals to the United States to fortify the economic resources of the Allies, and to bring her powerful material aid to the common cause.

The Union will concentrate its whole energy against the power of the enemy, no matter where the battle may be.

And thus we shall conquer."

They even got so far as designing the postage stamps

anglo-french-stamp-300x177.jpg
Reply 11
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
What on Earth? No, they wouldn’t want to and rightly so. What an idiotic thread.

shhh-this-is-the-internet_o_2922637.jpg
Reply 12
I mean, ultimately, the UK has always been more comfortable than most countries with cultural difference and overlapping identities. But as an idea, I think it's pretty obviously a non-starter.

In a wider sense though, I feel we should be working to break down barriers between nations rather than creating new ones. It's unfortunate that we're currently involved in doing the latter.
Original post by L i b
I mean, ultimately, the UK has always been more comfortable than most countries with cultural difference and overlapping identities. But as an idea, I think it's pretty obviously a non-starter.

In a wider sense though, I feel we should be working to break down barriers between nations rather than creating new ones. It's unfortunate that we're currently involved in doing the latter.

Maybe we aren’t!
Original post by Burton Bridge
Maybe we aren’t!

Over 1000 years of British prosperity have turned on that viewpoint being rejected by those running the show.
Original post by nulli tertius
Over 1000 years of British prosperity have turned on that viewpoint being rejected by those running the show.

Sorry mate you're going to have to explain what you mean a little more.
Original post by Burton Bridge
Sorry mate you're going to have to explain what you mean a little more.

You are saying (I think) that maybe the British are not more comfortable with cultural difference and overlapping identities.

I accept that there is a strain in the English character of "here's a foreigner; let's chuck a rock at him" but I am saying that English/British prosperity has been based on the governing class rejecting that viewpoint down the centuries and making this country the most attractive place for foreigners to create wealth in be they the Hanse, the Jews, the Lombards, the Flemings, the Huguenots or whoever.
Would we be driving on the left or right after this union?
Original post by nulli tertius
You are saying (I think) that maybe the British are not more comfortable with cultural difference and overlapping identities.

I accept that there is a strain in the English character of "here's a foreigner; let's chuck a rock at him" but I am saying that English/British prosperity has been based on the governing class rejecting that viewpoint down the centuries and making this country the most attractive place for foreigners to create wealth in be they the Hanse, the Jews, the Lombards, the Flemings, the Huguenots or whoever.

You misunderstand my point then, I think it was my fault not yours, I will explain it better later on tonight unfortunately now I've got to go to work :smile:
Original post by Alfissti
Would we be driving on the left or right after this union?

Perhaps we would have adopted the old Italian system where part of country drove on the left and part drove on the right. Pre-war Austria did the same.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending