The Student Room Group

People who were too young for a Brexit vote: how do you feel?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iseesparksfly
There is some truth in that, statistically there is a trend, but I can't see left-wing people my age turning into die hard tories who have a hard on for Theresa May. I don't think all conservatives are horrible, but some right wing views are atrocious. Their policies are just amoral and horrible towards certain groups of people. The Conservative party are horrible for disabled people, horrible for poor people, horrible for animals, and just horrible for society.

Have you not considered that that "criteria" is outdated and stupid? Saying that younger people "matter less" in society makes literally no sense whatsoever

I've put in in spoilers because its quite long.

"There is some truth in that, statistically there is a trend, but I can't see left-wing people my age turning into die hard tories who have a hard on for Theresa May. I don't think all conservatives are horrible, but some right wing views are atrocious. Their policies are just amoral and horrible towards certain groups of people. The Conservative party are horrible for disabled people, horrible for poor people, horrible for animals, and just horrible for society."

Spoiler

---

"Have you not considered that that "criteria" is outdated and stupid? Saying that younger people "matter less" in society makes literally no sense whatsoever"

Spoiler

Original post by angelinahx
Why are 22 year olds who still live at home able to vote but independent 16 year olds aren't?
Of course the voting system should be based on meritocracy.

I have a lot of sympathy for this position, it certainly makes logical sense, and its easy to think of positive arguments for.

In practice though, I don't know how it would be implemented. I mean, its much easier to deny a teenager the right to vote, then to tell a 36 year old man that he can't vote because he is to stupid, the later is far more likely to riot/protest/cause problems. I also worry about how easy it would be to manipulate the tests required to skew in one political direction or the other.

If you can solve the piratical issues though, a meritocratic voting system would probably be highly efficient and productive.
Happy we left, most of my peers were going to vote remain so I'm glad the younger generation didn't get to vote
Original post by Bang Outta Order
erm..what? how old are you...?

14, lol
Original post by Obolinda
14, lol

are you serious my lil sister is 14!! love her to bits, ur my lil sis now too then eh. then i deeply apologise for anything offensive or like swear words or anything that I've said <3
Original post by Bang Outta Order
are you serious my lil sister is 14!! love her to bits, ur my lil sis now too then eh. then i deeply apologise for anything offensive or like swear words or anything that I've said <3

No problemo, big bro
Original post by Andrew97
I looked into this before. Giving 16-17 year olds the vote in 2016 would not have made a difference. And there should not be an upper limit on voting age.

you've got to admit it's unfair that the 85+ old people who voted mostly won't even be alive to feel the effects of brexit
(especially with all these extensions by the time we leave maybe even I'll be dead)
Original post by fallen_acorns
'grow some balls' - is hardly an insult, its just a rude way of saying 'toughen up a bit'

"so voted on what they thought was best for my generation" - that I have no problem at all with, if that's what they did then good for them. But that's very different from what you first said - which is they let you decide.

I think that parents and elderly people should vote in the best interests of future generations, but that doesn't mean letting future generations choose themselves. So in a real world example.. when moving house, parents should consider whats best for their children.. but they shouldn't let their children pick the house.

Elderly generations not considering the interests of the young, is an awful trend at the moment. Just look at the housing market to see how little of a **** older people are giving right now about young people. For me I just get frustrated when adults feel like the answer to this problem is to cede power to the kids, rather then the more rational approach of just being a bit more thoughtful and considerate towards other generations.

You're touching on a trend that has occurred over the last decade or two. That trend is this, parents have stopped trying to be the parent and started trying to be the friend of their child on average, and Teachers have stopped being the teacher and started being the friend also.

These role models that are now missing for children were figures be disliked and hated while respecting and maybe even slightly fearing. There is a huge difference between discipline and abuse, this line has been blurred so much you can barely see it now.

You see the problem is that we have been really good at changing things that certain pressure groups want to change. But these academic political idealists are exceptionally bad at the evaluation of the results of the policies that they enforce. This last sentence is actually a massive understatement the evaluation is completely and totally absent from the process. What they actually do when they see a negative result, for example, the growing lack of respect in children. What they decide to do instead of scrapping their idea and reverting back or modelling back on the original model they scraped where the problem never existed in the first place, they either add sticking plasters to their own ideas and build it up in the same direction they wanted to travel, which obviously makes the result worse or they simply ignore it and do nothing at all and divert the any blame to other social group's.
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
was 2 months of being 18 :frown: - dumb decision, and for sure will be a bitter pill to swallow, think we will however rejoin in the next 30 years with a less deluded generation....

Then we’ll see the EU demands for rejoining..
Original post by pon1de2replay3
you've got to admit it's unfair that the 85+ old people who voted mostly won't even be alive to feel the effects of brexit
(especially with all these extensions by the time we leave maybe even I'll be dead)

Life’s unfair.
Reply 90
Original post by random_matt
No life experience, voting should be 25 minimum.

"Life experience" breeds prejudice and dogmatic intransigence. There should be a maximum voting age.
Reply 91
Original post by DrMikeHuntHertz
If we remain in the EU you will eventually loose the pound altogether.

And this would be bad because...?
Reply 92
Original post by Obolinda
one said that Brexit would cause a replication of what happened to Germany after WW2 economically.

More likely Germany after WW1
Reply 93
Original post by fallen_acorns
Lowering the voting age in general is a poor ideological argument that's generally only used by those who know they will profit from it (liberal parties who want more youth voters)

So is opposition to it by those who will not profit also "a poor ideological argument"? Or is dismissing an argument simply because someone will profit from it, itself a poor ideological argument?
Reply 94
Original post by random_matt
Again, ignorance and youth go hand in hand.

Ignorance is happy to hold the hand of anyone of any age.
Reply 95
That's because financial and social self-interest hasn't kicked in yet.
The left is a vote for others, the right is a vote for yourself.
Original post by QE2
And this would be bad because...?

Loss of purchasing power, higher non-EU import costs and loss of control over monetary policy.
Original post by QE2
That's because financial and social self-interest hasn't kicked in yet.
The left is a vote for ruling over others, the right is a vote for ruling over yourself.

Fix'd.
Reply 98
Loss of purchasing power, higher non-EU import costs and loss of control over monetary policy.

My Euro buys more in Europe than my pound buys in the UK.
Why?
What do you mean specifically by "monetary policy"?
Reply 99
Fixed.

Fixed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending