The Student Room Group

Should I move out for University?

So basically I have a bit of a dilemma...I have no idea whether to move out for Uni!! I currently live in London and when I applied for Uni, I was adamant that I was going to move out. My current living situation is not that great, I live with my family which consists of 11 other people. My house is not that big and it sometimes gets crowded, messy and noisy and I feel like sometimes I have no breathing space. I also share a room with one of my sisters, who although I love, is increasingly messy and it can be incredibly frustrating to live here. Also, my annoying aunty is always at my house. She basically lives there and her presence is so frustrating. I feel like this has had an increasingly negative impact on my life and mental health. But anyways, basically I have an offer from Kings and Manchester, I was never going to go to Kings, but I when I went to an offer holder day, I loved it! The course looks so good and the campus was really nice. However, I also love Manchester! My parents really want me to go to Kings (for obvious reasons). They said I could move out for the first year into halls and then move back home in the second and third year. However, London is increasingly expensive and I don't know if I'd be able to afford the accommodation costs, compared to somewhere like Manchester. Also, I feel like even if I did move out for the first year, it would be difficult to move back home for the second and third year, because of my current living situation I would have to find accommodation in London which will be really expensive. On the other hand, Manchester is a fresh start, I don't know anyone there, it will give me the opportunity to be independent and I will have a lot more freedom. I feel like Manchester is a really student-friendly city and that I would have a lot more of a typical uni experience there. However, it's quite far and I although my living with my family is **** right now, I do love them and I would miss them if I went away. Also, I feel like I gravitate more towards Kings which is surprising considering I didn't want to go there. I have no idea what to do, please help me!!
Deciding which uni is up to you
What I will recommend is that if you choose Kings, move out for first year and then stay at home the following years (although expensive it will be worth it for what you gain- independence, meeting people etc.)
Reply 2
But I think it will be hard to move back home considering my current living situation. Would it be wise to move out 2nd and 3rd year
Original post by AzureCeleste
Deciding which uni is up to you
What I will recommend is that if you choose Kings, move out for first year and then stay at home the following years (although expensive it will be worth it for what you gain- independence, meeting people etc.)
This one is tricky you didn't want to go to Kings but now you do (it's fine to change your mind) but you also like Manchester.

You really need to choose the place you like the most I can see why you want to move out. Your parents are being fair saying you can move out for the first year then move back for second and third although you might find that it's easier to live in halls for all 3 years anyway while it is true that halls are expensive in London you do get more loan to account for that.

You also need to ask your self if leaning towards Kings is because your maybe a little bit nervous about leaving home I know you say " My current living situation is not that great," but it does sound like you love your family. you don't need to decide yet hell you could change your mind at any point right now I'd put Kings as my firm and Manchester as my insurance if you change your mind make sure you let UCAS or the uni know as soon as possible because on results day it can take ages to get released i know Bath and Durham can take weeks to release people in to clearing or to their insurance if they decide "I want go go to my insurance" or "I want to go into clearing".. Good luck
Original post by Anonymous
But I think it will be hard to move back home considering my current living situation. Would it be wise to move out 2nd and 3rd year

I would always recommend liveing out for all 3 or 4 years at uni.
Reply 5
But do you think it’s harder to move out in London?
Original post by jonathanemptage
I would always recommend liveing out for all 3 or 4 years at uni.
Reply 6
Hey,

Thanks for your reply. I am leaning more towards kings and even if I move out for the first year I’ll be closer to home. Although, I can’t help but have this feeling that I need to go to another uni in another city and have more of a ‘uni experience’ and I feel like Manchester will be good for that.
Original post by jonathanemptage
This one is tricky you didn't want to go to Kings but now you do (it's fine to change your mind) but you also like Manchester.

You really need to choose the place you like the most I can see why you want to move out. Your parents are being fair saying you can move out for the first year then move back for second and third although you might find that it's easier to live in halls for all 3 years anyway while it is true that halls are expensive in London you do get more loan to account for that.

You also need to ask your self if leaning towards Kings is because your maybe a little bit nervous about leaving home I know you say " My current living situation is not that great," but it does sound like you love your family. you don't need to decide yet hell you could change your mind at any point right now I'd put Kings as my firm and Manchester as my insurance if you change your mind make sure you let UCAS or the uni know as soon as possible because on results day it can take ages to get released i know Bath and Durham can take weeks to release people in to clearing or to their insurance if they decide "I want go go to my insurance" or "I want to go into clearing".. Good luck
Original post by Anonymous

Yes considering your current living situation it would be difficult. But could you afford london prices?
If studying is a problem there is the library

Quick Reply

Latest