The Student Room Group

Is it right for a non black person to say this?

I was talking to someone and they were like oh I love the song blah blah n------ but he said the full word

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PhilDanthropist
I was talking to someone and they were like oh I love the song blah blah n------ but he said the full word

No it is not. The person knew that they could say it to you. I bet they would not say it in a place where they would have their face smashed in.
Original post by Wired_1800
No it is not. The person knew that they could say it to you. I bet they would not say it in a place where they would have their face smashed in.

Like reading Huckleberry Finn?

Mere reportage, dunno what the fuss is about.
Original post by Notoriety

We aren't talking about a book here... He still shouldn't have said the full word right?
Either everyone can say it or no one.
I don't see why some people use that word in the first place, especially black people, why would you use a word that was and still is a racist remark.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by PhilDanthropist
We aren't talking about a book here... He still shouldn't have said the full word right?

If he is not calling someone it directly, then I don't see there is a problem.

For example, if someone got on the plane you were on and started shouting something about Chinese people and a disabled child, you'd no doubt quote these customary slurs when you tell the story.

We have elevated the N-word to a unique position, such that you are expected to pretend like it doesn't even exist. Like Lord Voldemort in the HP series.

For example, if someone got on the plane you were on and started shouting something about Chinese people and a disabled child, you'd no doubt quote these customary slurs when you tell the story.

We have elevated the N-word to a unique position, such that you are expected to pretend like it doesn't even exist. Like Lord Voldemort in the HP series.

Yeh but I think if you are a teacher and saying that when there was no need to ...its a bit bad
Ideally nobody should say it, once you start restricting words due to somebodies skin colour you are entering a dangerous territory.

Reading a book is different to calling a black person the N-word even though it was a “joke”. Some people choose who they use the word with because they know they would be beaten up if uttered to the wrong people.
Original post by Andrew97
Ideally nobody should say it, once you start restricting words due to somebodies skin colour you are entering a dangerous territory.

You are not restricting words. You are ensuring that racist remarks should not be used.

Women used to be called the b word. They can say it, if they wished, but we should not say it to them, as men.
the 'rule' isn't hard-
If you're black you can say it.
If you're not black, you CAN'T say it, no matter what situation you are in, for a book or a song, it doesn't matter.

even if the word technically was and is a racist word (when used by non-black people), it's for black people (its theirs), so only they can use it because they reclaimed the word. its not racist if they say it because they are black.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Wired_1800
You are not restricting words. You are ensuring that racist remarks should not be used.

Women used to be called the b word. They can say it, if they wished, but we should not say it to them, as men.

Read my post again. “Nobody should say it” that’s ensuring racist remarks should not be used.
hmm i dont think i worded that very well, sorry

personally i think that it would be nice to completely eradicate the word, only to prevent racial issues, but i have no right to do anything or even (as some people may argue) say anything about it, it's not my word.
Original post by thismoonchild
THE RULE IS VERY SIMPLE-
If you're not black, you CAN'T say it, no matter what situation you are in, for a book or a song, it doesn't matter.

even if the word technically was and is a racist word, it's for black people, so only they can use it because they reclaimed the word. its not racist if they say it because they ARE black

https://imageserve.babycenter.com/31/000/287/Um9zPlLuwQ1hf2f7X2urHMPjPsiJu3p6_lg.jpg
when this baby grows up, into a recognisably white individual, could they say it? Presumably as a white individual, it would be a hate-crime, and they would be attacked for saying it in public.

That baby is 1/8th black (and a bit asian, but mostly white)... Their mum was 1/4 black, their grandma was 1/2 black, and their great grandmother was black (maybe not 100%, but to trace back further would be improbable)

At what stage in that families history, does it become unacceptable to say it?

Of course the great grandmother can say it.. shes black
The grandma? shes half black, most people would consider her to be a minority.. she could probably say it
The mum? Shes more white then black now, and would probably 'pass' for white in the eyes of many, can she say it?
What about the baby?

Where is the cut off in this family, where it becomes unacceptable to say it?
Isn't that a textbook racism? Segregating vocabulary by race and only by race? How more racist a rule can even be?
THE RULE IS VERY SIMPLE-

even if the word technically was and is a racist word (when used by non-black people), it's for black people (its theirs), so only they can use it because they reclaimed the word. its not racist if they say it because they are black.
Literally who cares. Why should quoting a song title that includes a certain word be 'not allowed' on account of the person's skin colour. Christ.
hm thats a really good point and question and honestly i'm not fully sure. I think the obvious answer would be that if you are more than a half black, then yes you can say it, but if less than a half, then no. because then you are a majority white (as you said, in this example).

Jesus christ man you're going on racial purity now? Seig heil anyone?
its segregated due to the history of the word and how it was used. it's not just any old word. if it was, then yes, you're right.
Original post by Banana_Slug
Isn't that a textbook racism? Segregating vocabulary by race and only by race? How more racist a rule can even be?

The-word-that-must-not-be-said. :ninja:

Quick Reply

Latest