The Student Room Group

As a uni-drop-out to be: ask me anything about University life

Hey all, I'm currently studying Computer Science at Aston University, however, I have come to the conclusion that CompSci is not the right course for me.

If there are any new freshers, or current Uni students that have worry about not enjoying the course they've applied for/studying, feel free to ask any questions below about the process of dropping out and to feel reassured that it is not a bad thing.

Scroll to see replies

Is the work load really a huge step up from a levels
Reply 2
It honestly depends on the course you’re going to study, and how experienced you are with the subjects already.
Personally, I had never done pure computer science before this year (my sixth form didn’t offer it) so I felt like the first term was really hard for me. My friends, however, seemed to be pretty chill with the work.

Overall, I wouldn’t say there is too much pressure in the first year (again depends on the course and uni) as it’ll seem like a recap from GCSE/A Level.

Hope this helps!
Original post by Anonymous
Is the work load really a huge step up from a levels
How much did you go out in freshers
Reply 4
Not a lot. I’m a pretty shy person and dont really enjoy the night life that much. I also didn’t make most of my friends until the first week of lectures!

I would say there’s no pressure to go out, if you don’t want to. My flat mates asked me a few times during freshers week if I wanted to go out, but they weren’t really the type of people I’d like to hang out with.

Hope this helps!
How much did you go out in freshers
Original post by Flycon
Hey all, I'm currently studying Computer Science at Aston University, however, I have come to the conclusion that CompSci is not the right course for me.

If there are any new freshers, or current Uni students that have worry about not enjoying the course they've applied for/studying, feel free to ask any questions below about the process of dropping out and to feel reassured that it is not a bad thing.

Prior to starting uni what was your expectation of CompSci and what convinced you to leave?
But did you make friends would you say?
Reply 7
I went to a lot of open days for CompSci, so I knew what the course was going to be like, and that for me it would be a lot more difficult to grasp.
When i first started applying on UCAS I was a bit 50/50 of the course I wanted to do. It was either CompSci or Graphic Design (but I couldn't apply for both).
I liked computer stuff and I wanted to be a video game programmer when I was younger, however, once I was a few months in to the course, I realised how much I disliked what I was doing.
In my opinion, the course was boring, it was tedious, and I found no enjoyment out of it. Also, I suffer from extreme exam anxiety that I thought I fixed after A Levels, but I was wrong.

All in all, I just was not enjoying the course I was doing, and it's not worth me spending £9k a year on something I hate.

I have an unconditional to do Graphic Communication this year so I'm all set :biggrin:

Hope this helps!
Original post by ALYAMAANI
Prior to starting uni what was your expectation of CompSci and what convinced you to leave?
Reply 8
I did make friends quite quickly! The first day of lectures I saw a guy with a shirt with a logo of a band I like, so I just mustered up the courage to go say hi
But did you make friends would you say?
Reply 9
I'm in the same position as you haha, I hate Computer Science and want to drop out but I already agreed to a housing contract and didn't apply to UCAS yet...
Reply 10
Oh man, that sucked. About a month ago I made a really quick personal statement and application, and managed to get an offer.
If you really don't like it, then just stop going to classes, they can't force you to do anything. And it doesn't even matter because you'll be planning to leave either way.

Original post by Sawy3r
I'm in the same position as you haha, I hate Computer Science and want to drop out but I already agreed to a housing contract and didn't apply to UCAS yet...
what exactly are the career prospects? i googled it and looks not so good. i was htinking about doing a conversion with the intention to get into industry but am wary about aquiring debt but get nothing from it
Reply 12
I might just make a UCAS application after the year and just enter Clearing instantly. I had 0 coding knowledge before this degree so it's pretty tough, not to mention it's boring af. There were pretty good courses for Clearing last year so doing that would be fine I think. The only problem is the housing agreement... I don't wanna be paying £3000 for accommodation when I'm living at home.
Original post by Flycon
Oh man, that sucked. About a month ago I made a really quick personal statement and application, and managed to get an offer.
If you really don't like it, then just stop going to classes, they can't force you to do anything. And it doesn't even matter because you'll be planning to leave either way.
Reply 13
Most definitely Samoyed or Huskies :3
Reply 14
Not exactly sure what you mean by career prospects. According to Aston University, over 90% of computer science graduates aquire a job in the first 6 months of graduating.
Original post by brian.griffin
what exactly are the career prospects? i googled it and looks not so good. i was htinking about doing a conversion with the intention to get into industry but am wary about aquiring debt but get nothing from it
Reply 15
Clearing sounds like the best option for you. I wish you the best of luck!!
Original post by Sawy3r
I might just make a UCAS application after the year and just enter Clearing instantly. I had 0 coding knowledge before this degree so it's pretty tough, not to mention it's boring af. There were pretty good courses for Clearing last year so doing that would be fine I think. The only problem is the housing agreement... I don't wanna be paying £3000 for accommodation when I'm living at home.
Original post by Flycon

Are you gonna try and apply for another course at a different Uni? Or are you trying a whole new path out instead of Uni?
I am surprised, no one asked this yet.

What are your plans after?
Reply 18
Original post by neuronal
Are you gonna try and apply for another course at a different Uni? Or are you trying a whole new path out instead of Uni?

I applied for Graphic Communication at Birmingham City Univeristy and got an unconditional offer :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by batter mix
I am surprised, no one asked this yet.

What are your plans after?

I’m starting Graphic Communication at BCU in September, once I realised I didn’t like this course I immediately started making a new application for something I definitely like

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending