The Student Room Group

Alabama Proposes New Law That Makes Abortion Punishable By Up To 99 Years In Prison

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/alabama-proposes-new-law-that-makes-abortion-punishable-by-up-to-99-years-in-prison/ar-BBVEe75?li=AAnZ9Ug

Alabama has become the latest U.S. state seeking to introduce a strict abortion ban.

On Tuesday, Alabama representative Terri Collins proposed legislation that would make performing an abortion at any stage of pregnancy a crime.

The bill would effectively ban all abortions, including in cases of rape and incest, as soon as a woman is 'known to be pregnant'. The only exception would be if the mother's health was in jeopardy.

If a doctor was to perform the procedure, they could be charged with a Class A felony, which carries a prison sentence of 10 to 99 years.

Scroll to see replies

I pity all the women who live there and are Pro Choice, get out now, Alabama has become another state in a series of states to have gone insane, my guess is that religious thought has caused this, horrific.
(edited 5 years ago)
Several steps in the wrong direction.
The American South, full of religious zealots.

The Bible Belt states are now out competing with each other to remove abortion rights. Assuming Georgia's new bill is signed into law, it'll be illegal to perform abortions after a heartbeat is detected - usually five to six weeks... Most women don't even realise they're pregnant until after that

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/georgia-abortion-bill-the-heartbeat-bill-in-georgia-could-join-the-legal-fight-to-overturn-roe-v-wade-2019-04-03/
Hmmm
So if a woman gets raped, she now has the option to abandon her child to a bad childhood or raise them knowing she didn’t want them?
How is that fair?
Original post by Professional G
So if a woman gets raped, she now has the option to abandon her child to a bad childhood or raise them knowing she didn’t want them?
How is that fair?

Christians want a ban on abortion but once the birth occurs.

Spoiler

How is that fair?

The rapist would probably get less time in prison as well
Original post by Wooord

Well satan did corrupt their minds.
Original post by TheNamesBond.
Christians want a ban on abortion but once the birth occurs.

Spoiler

Original post by Wooord

People forget that pro choice isn’t about campaigning to kill babies. It’s about campaigning to have abortion as an choice. Not all pro choice women would have an abortion, they just want abortion as an option so women have an choice.
It’s why they are pro choice.

Pro choice =/ pro abortion.
(edited 5 years ago)
It is Alabama.
If it makes you feel any better other states are planning to allow abortion up to 40 weeks, in fact the day of birth.
While it will undoubtedly make it more difficult to abort a baby. it will be available in other States.
Original post by Just my opinion
If it makes you feel any better other states are planning to allow abortion up to 40 weeks, in fact the day of birth.
While it will undoubtedly make it more difficult to abort a baby. it will be available in other States.

That's all well and good but it's going to be those on the lower end of the income scale - the ones who can't afford to have a child - who are hit hardest by this. There's no way they'll be able to afford to travel to a different state and then pay for an abortion. Seeing as they're classed as an "elective procedure", American insurance companies won't pay for them (nor can the federal government).
It's always Alabama...
:facepalm:

you will never get rid of abortion, banning it just makes women use coathangers and fall down the stairs. It doesnt stop abortions just safe ones
oh gosh, doubt this will ever go in, hopefully...
People forget that pro choice isn’t about campaigning to kill babies. It’s about campaigning to have abortion as an choice. Not all pro choice women would have an abortion, they just want abortion as an option so women have an choice.
It’s why they are pro choice.

Pro choice =/ pro abortion.

Why did you quote me?
Reply 17
How is that fair?

This is a baffling line of argument to me. I appreciate there is nuance on both sides of the abortion debate, but really - how can you possibly believe there is a moral ambiguity here?

If you work from the starting point that an unborn child is a person deserving of rights - which, I assume is pretty much the definition of being pro-life - then for what reason do you think that would be compromised by (1) a sub-par upbringing (2) a parent not wanting the pregnancy? If you accept the first premise, then where would you find the scope to argue that the child's right should be infringed for the reasons you have set out?

There is perhaps a case to be made around the mother's mental health if she is, for example, suicidal, but that's about it from a rational perspective.
Original post by TheNamesBond.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/alabama-proposes-new-law-that-makes-abortion-punishable-by-up-to-99-years-in-prison/ar-BBVEe75?li=AAnZ9Ug

Alabama has become the latest U.S. state seeking to introduce a strict abortion ban.

On Tuesday, Alabama representative Terri Collins proposed legislation that would make performing an abortion at any stage of pregnancy a crime.

The bill would effectively ban all abortions, including in cases of rape and incest, as soon as a woman is 'known to be pregnant'. The only exception would be if the mother's health was in jeopardy.

If a doctor was to perform the procedure, they could be charged with a Class A felony, which carries a prison sentence of 10 to 99 years.

It's weird how people, otherwise against abortions, make an exception when the mother's health is at risk.

Do they think that an unwanted pregnancy doesn't have a negative effect on the health of the mother?
Reply 19
Original post by CoolCavy
:facepalm:

you will never get rid of abortion, banning it just makes women use coathangers and fall down the stairs. It doesnt stop abortions just safe ones

Another slightly odd argument. I'm not sure anyone has ever suggested that criminalising a particular act will entirely eliminate it. In terms of numbers, I think it's pretty reasonable to suggest that criminalising abortion would have the effect of reducing the number of abortions considerably: even without pretty rigorous policing, most people think twice before breaking the law.

In any case, I think the "coathangers" point is rather dated. The real issue around enforcement would be the importing of abortifacient drugs or how you treat women who travel outside of the jurisdiction to have abortions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending