The Student Room Group

Changing College by Reapplication

I received an offer from a college, but have since decided that another college would be better. If i reject Oxford this year, and reapply next year, would my chances of admissions be reduced?

Scroll to see replies

Have you attempted to contact the university to see if you can change college and explain your reasoning's for wanting to do so?
University policy doesn’t allow transfers due to the independence of colleges
Original post by Christian James
Have you attempted to contact the university to see if you can change college and explain your reasoning's for wanting to do so?
Reply 3
Original post by JBlueMountain00
I received an offer from a college, but have since decided that another college would be better. If i reject Oxford this year, and reapply next year, would my chances of admissions be reduced?

I think this is a pretty extreme outlook to take. Colleges are much more alike than different - just what is it that you don't like about the college that's made you an offer? To put your life on hold for a year and forego a definite offer for the rather slim chance of an offer next year seems frankly reckless.

EDIT: ok, I've now seen from other posts that it's St Hugh's you have an offer from (for PPE). I think comparisons between its architecture and that of Christ Church really shouldn't be your focus.
(edited 5 years ago)
It's pretty far from the city centre too and I'm afraid it will be isolating
Original post by RichE
I think this is a pretty extreme outlook to take. Colleges are much more alike than different - just what is it that you don't like about the college that's made you an offer? To put your life on hold for a year and forego a definite offer for the rather slim chance of an offer next year seems frankly reckless.

EDIT: ok, I've now seen from other posts that it's St Hugh's you have an offer from (for PPE). I think comparisons between its architecture and that of Christ Church really shouldn't be your focus.
The vast majority of applicants are rejected from Oxford: you've been able to be accepted so it would be stupid to risk such an opportunity. Just because you were accepted this year does not mean you will next year. Ultimately, most students like whichever college they end up at, and there are few meaningful differences in the experiences of students per college
It's pretty far from the city centre too and I'm afraid it will be isolating

It's a 6 minute cycle away. St. Hugh's has one of the largest student populations so it will most definitely not be isolating. If Oxford is your top choice than I wouldn't reject it on the basis of its appearance. Maybe you could try visiting to get a better feel (although I know for a large proportion of people this isn't feasible). I know if I were you then I'd most certainly take up the offer. But hey, I'm not you! I think the admissions statistics for reapplicants generally applies to those who missed their offer/didn't receive one so I don't know how they'd take to a student rejecting them and reapplying, and I especially don't know how they'd react especially if they knew the reason why.
However, again, you're at liberty to choose for yourself. If you really don't want to go then don't, but expect your fair share of people questioning your sanity lmao. (This obviously shouldn't apply to students who reject Oxford offers for universities they prefer lol)
Reply 7
Some of the more central colleges accommodate 2nd and/or 3rd years further out than St Hughs, which can accommodate all years on site. It also has huge grounds. Lots of positives and it's in a lovely area.
(edited 5 years ago)
The test can be prepared, and the interview sometimes comes to a toss of a dice. I Guess it’ll be a 50-50 gamble then. I was just wondering whether it is worth the try. Experience does help in the interview too
Original post by liverninthered
The vast majority of applicants are rejected from Oxford: you've been able to be accepted so it would be stupid to risk such an opportunity. Just because you were accepted this year does not mean you will next year. Ultimately, most students like whichever college they end up at, and there are few meaningful differences in the experiences of students per college
Hmmm Guess I’m just a little hung up over not being able to reside in and dine in 16th century medievals halls. Not quite sure why but I’ve quite a thing for fine architecture. Since applications are cleared by College, would they have a record of my precious application to another College? Thanks for your kind advice :smile:
Original post by axolotlaristotle
It's a 6 minute cycle away. St. Hugh's has one of the largest student populations so it will most definitely not be isolating. If Oxford is your top choice than I wouldn't reject it on the basis of its appearance. Maybe you could try visiting to get a better feel (although I know for a large proportion of people this isn't feasible). I know if I were you then I'd most certainly take up the offer. But hey, I'm not you! I think the admissions statistics for reapplicants generally applies to those who missed their offer/didn't receive one so I don't know how they'd take to a student rejecting them and reapplying, and I especially don't know how they'd react especially if they knew the reason why.
However, again, you're at liberty to choose for yourself. If you really don't want to go then don't, but expect your fair share of people questioning your sanity lmao. (This obviously shouldn't apply to students who reject Oxford offers for universities they prefer lol)
Yeap I would say it has pretty nice gardens, but the architecture (both interior and exterior) is less attractive compared to other Colleges such as Christchurch or Balliol. Magdalen has both nice buildings and gardens actually. I dint do my prior reasearch well and made an open application since I assumed wrongly that all Oxford colleges had the same grandeur.
Original post by HMDN12
Some of the more central colleges accommodate 2nd and/or 3rd years further out than St Hughs, which can accommosate all years on site. It also has huge grounds. Lots of positives and it's in a lovely area.
Reply 11
In 2017 35% of successful applicants got an offer from a college they didn't specify on their application. https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/colleges/do-you-choose-a-college?wssl=1
So even if you were to reapply there's no guarantee you'd get a place at any college, let alone one you specified.
Original post by HMDN12
In 2017 35% of successful applicants got an offer from a college they didn't specify on their application. https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/colleges/do-you-choose-a-college?wssl=1
So even if you were to reapply there's no guarantee you'd get a place at any college, let alone one you specified.

Yeap, but adjusting for applications without 3As and TSA scores <75, the percentage improves significantly, so I was wondering if it was worth the risk or not.
Yeap, but adjusting for applications without 3As and TSA scores <75, the percentage improves significantly, so I was wondering if it was worth the risk or not.

Oh for heavens sake - count yourself lucky. Thousands of applicants would give their right arm to be where you are now. You are hung up about the architecture !
Reply 14
Ok - looking at it from another angle - what if you apply next year and either don't get a place at all or get allocated to another college you don't rate - you might regret passing by the opportunity you have?
Reply 15
Hmmm Guess I’m just a little hung up over not being able to reside in and dine in 16th century medievals halls. Not quite sure why but I’ve quite a thing for fine architecture. Since applications are cleared by College, would they have a record of my precious application to another College? Thanks for your kind advice :smile:

Make friends with someone from an old college. Ask them to invite you to dinner at their college. Sorted. Also appearances can be deceptive. Take Merton - one of the oldest colleges, definitely has 13th century architecture in places, dining hall looks nicely medieval to the casual observer but nope, it was built in the 19th century.

And as for your actual room, taking Merton again, first years live in 20th century buildings for the most part, second years are in houses that might be old (18th/19th century old) but inside are clearly 20th century refurbs, 3rd years might get rooms in the medieval quad if they are lucky but are more likely to get 19th century rooms. As someone else mentioned, some of the small, old colleges have to house you a long (by Oxford standards!) way out from the centre or you have to sort a private rental in Cowley/Jericho/Botley which are all likely further out than Hugh's.

And, yes, they will know that you have applied before. College don't run their admissions independently anymore, there is always a central subject admissions team too.

In summary, don't be silly. You like the course and want to go to Oxford so don't mess around reapplying. Go to Hugh's, take advantage of the grounds and three years of accommodation etc, go take in all the old architecture you want in your free time - make friends in other colleges, use your student card to get in to look round other colleges, you may even get tutes taught in an old college (depending on subject, modules, and tutoring arrangements).
Yeap I would say it has pretty nice gardens, but the architecture (both interior and exterior) is less attractive compared to other Colleges such as Christchurch or Balliol. Magdalen has both nice buildings and gardens actually. I dint do my prior reasearch well and made an open application since I assumed wrongly that all Oxford colleges had the same grandeur.

Reminds me of The History Boys when Hector says of Oxbridge: “Cloisters, ancient libraries ... I was confusing learning with the smell of cold stone.”
As someone who spent 6 years in Oxford, formal dinners and old buildings lose most of their charm pretty quickly. What will stay with you is what you learned and the people you meet.

I'd also like to reiterate that a lot of older colleges ship you out in later years to less pretty buildings that are just as, if not further out than St Hughs. A lot of the grander colleges in the centre also put their first years in horrible 1960s concrete monstrosities anyway. Seems silly to give up your offer to chase an ultimately superficial aspect of the Oxford experience.
(edited 5 years ago)

I can empathise - I definitely knew people who, though previously having no interest in architecture, selected Oxford because it looks like a castle or whatever, and to not get that must be disappointing.

But honestly, rejecting Oxford for this would be stupid.

I will list risks and mitigating factors:

Risks:
1) You don't get in. I think reapplicant success rates are something like 60%. As you say, I do think there is some luck involved. How would you feel if you applied to Christ Church but didn't get into Oxford at all?
2) You don't get into your first choice college and are allocated to St Catherine's (google it)? Lots of people who apply to popular colleges - like Christchurch, Magdalen or Balliol - get pooled elsewhere.
3) You get into a college which looks nice at the main site but have to live elsewhere for one or even two years of your degree. In fact, Christ Church has one of Oxford's very ugliest buildings right on site!

Mitigating:
1) You can, y'know, go to the other colleges. You don't need an invite, although if you had one, you could also dine in their halls etc. You may well have regular lessons at other colleges in fact.
2) You can still use the university buildings like the Bodleian, Exam Schools, Rad Cam etc, which are about as Oxford as you can get. Like seriously, just become one of the guys who likes to work in the Rad Cam.
3) St Hugh's is really nice. You were presumably there in the middle of winter - wait to see what the buildings and the (far more extensive than anything you'd get at a very central college) grounds look like in the Summer.
4) You can always apply for a masters at another college.

But to answer your question: Do they have a record of your previous application? Yes. Would they bother looking at it when admissions is such a hectic time anyway? Probably not.

How many without 3As get pooled? Not many because most get rejected. Can't comment on TSA results but I doubt you have anything other than speculation to back yourself up either.
I know my TSA scores are in the top 10 percentile. How do they decide whether to pool you?
Original post by nexttime
I can empathise - I definitely knew people who, though previously having no interest in architecture, selected Oxford because it looks like a castle or whatever, and to not get that must be disappointing.

But honestly, rejecting Oxford for this would be stupid.

I will list risks and mitigating factors:

Risks:
1) You don't get in. I think reapplicant success rates are something like 60%. As you say, I do think there is some luck involved. How would you feel if you applied to Christ Church but didn't get into Oxford at all?
2) You don't get into your first choice college and are allocated to St Catherine's (google it)? Lots of people who apply to popular colleges - like Christchurch, Magdalen or Balliol - get pooled elsewhere.
3) You get into a college which looks nice at the main site but have to live elsewhere for one or even two years of your degree. In fact, Christ Church has one of Oxford's very ugliest buildings right on site!

Mitigating:
1) You can, y'know, go to the other colleges. You don't need an invite, although if you had one, you could also dine in their halls etc. You may well have regular lessons at other colleges in fact.
2) You can still use the university buildings like the Bodleian, Exam Schools, Rad Cam etc, which are about as Oxford as you can get. Like seriously, just become one of the guys who likes to work in the Rad Cam.
3) St Hugh's is really nice. You were presumably there in the middle of winter - wait to see what the buildings and the (far more extensive than anything you'd get at a very central college) grounds look like in the Summer.
4) You can always apply for a masters at another college.

But to answer your question: Do they have a record of your previous application? Yes. Would they bother looking at it when admissions is such a hectic time anyway? Probably not.

How many without 3As get pooled? Not many because most get rejected. Can't comment on TSA results but I doubt you have anything other than speculation to back yourself up either.
When you say they lose their charm quickly, do you mean like within a couple of months? Haha
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
Reminds me of The History Boys when Hector says of Oxbridge: “Cloisters, ancient libraries ... I was confusing learning with the smell of cold stone.”
As someone who spent 6 years in Oxford, formal dinners and old buildings lose most of their charm pretty quickly. What will stay with you is what you learned and the people you meet.

I'd also like to reiterate that a lot of older colleges ship you out in later years to less pretty buildings that are just as, if not further out than St Hughs. A lot of the grander colleges in the centre also put their first years in horrible 1960s concrete monstrosities anyway. Seems silly to give up your offer to chase an ultimately superficial aspect of the Oxford experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending