The Student Room Group

Higher Physics 2018-19

Scroll to see replies

Original post by turtle.8
Take it ur in S6 then, I'm in S5. I need at least AABBC for uni. I'm doing well in business, but I also find the content hard to remember. I have the higher business leckie and leckie course notes book and I went through the whole textbook and highlighted all the key parts. Sounds like a lot, but highlighting really helped me remember things. I would recommend doing this with some sort of textbook or your own class notes. I have a notebook where I write things down that I've found I just can't remember.

Yeah but I have a terrible memory, I can only remember some stuff, and if I remember a load of new stuff the old stuff goes missing from my mind, xd
Original post by Aaron_0610
Yeah but I have a terrible memory, I can only remember some stuff, and if I remember a load of new stuff the old stuff goes missing from my mind, xd

Start by reading the things you already know, so you know the old stuff and then start reading the new things. Do a little bit every night up until the exam.

How do you revise maths? I find the essay-based subjects easier and I panic a bit when i cant answer some maths past papers
Start by reading the things you already know, so you know the old stuff and then start reading the new things. Do a little bit every night up until the exam.

How do you revise maths? I find the essay-based subjects easier and I panic a bit when i cant answer some maths past papers

Don't want to sound like that person but my brain is a sponge when it comes to maths, I just have the right mind for it and I understand the process. I can't really explain. With essay-based subjects you have to read tons of info, with maths you just have to keep doing papers. Tell you what, if you get stuck with a question send me it in a PM, I got a A in my prelim so I can at least show you how to do it :smile:
Don't want to sound like that person but my brain is a sponge when it comes to maths, I just have the right mind for it and I understand the process. I can't really explain. With essay-based subjects you have to read tons of info, with maths you just have to keep doing papers. Tell you what, if you get stuck with a question send me it in a PM, I got a A in my prelim so I can at least show you how to do it :smile:

Thank you so much! :smile:
Thank you so much! :smile:

No problem, :smile:
Literally, about to give up. http://mrmackenzie.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/pastpapers/H_Physics_all_2009.pdf

Got 6/16 in the multiple choice (took 4 off because some questions aren't in higher anymore) in the 2009 paper.

Wtf. These questions were terrible but in the 2012 (Revised) one I got 17/20 :frown:
Literally, about to give up. http://mrmackenzie.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/pastpapers/H_Physics_all_2009.pdf

Got 6/16 in the multiple choice (took 4 off because some questions aren't in higher anymore) in the 2009 paper.

Wtf. These questions were terrible but in the 2012 (Revised) one I got 17/20 :frown:

The past papers are so hit and miss, sometimes I'll do well other times I won't. Which ones did you get wrong? I may be able to help, I'm going to start the 2009 one now.
The past papers are so hit and miss, sometimes I'll do well other times I won't. Which ones did you get wrong? I may be able to help, I'm going to start the 2009 one now.

Every MP Choice Question, let's just say that xd
Every MP Choice Question, let's just say that xd

I'll PM u once i've finished it
I'll PM u once i've finished it

Alright, cheers.

The revised higher is closer to what the CfE higher is, so I'd say that one is probably a better reflection, if you've been getting similar in the other revised/new papers.
Original post by Labrador99
The revised higher is closer to what the CfE higher is, so I'd say that one is probably a better reflection, if you've been getting similar in the other revised/new papers.

That's good to know, I'm going to stick to the revised and new higher papers, maybe pick and choose from the old ones but I'm not going to sit down and do entire old papers because the questions are more complicated than the new ones and half the content isn't included in the higher anymore.

I have more of a maths brain than an writing brain (best way I could word it lol), but I find it helps if you do a past paper until you get to a question that you have no clue how to answer, then work on those types of questions until you can do it in your sleep, or consistantly getting good marks in them. I recommend using the 'Free higher maths' website (just search it, should be first result) because it has past paper questions organised by topic. They also have a nat 5 version if you're not doing higher.
Thank you! I'll look into this.
Currently doing 2004 and 2005 do nooootttt like the format at all but noticed a few similarities to the new higher papers in terms of questions.. how far back would anyone recommend going for a B??
Reply 35
Hey guys, i've taken higher physics and really need to get an A, Our Dynamic Universe was fine and electricity was tricky but manageable, but im really struggling with particles and waves, our teacher has rushed through it and I am struggling a lot with it, can anyone advise studying methods or resources for the topic? I think my problem is the majority of it being understanding + I find it immensely uninteresting compared to the earlier topics.
Thanks
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by OSkis
Hey guys, i've taken higher physics and really need to get an A, Our Dynamic Universe was fine and electricity was tricky but manageable, but im really struggling with waves and radiation, our teacher has rushed through it and I am struggling a lot with it, can anyone advise studying methods or resources for the topic? I think my problem is the majority of it being understanding + I find it immensely uninteresting compared to the earlier topics.
Thanks

I find that unit the hardest as well. BBC bitesize has a good section on waves and radiation with tests at the end of each topic which highlights what you need to improve on, I found this helpful. As for the understanding, I would recommend making a mindmap of the unit that just has the concepts on it, this may help you remember it. Some textbooks are useful, I have the leckie and leckie higher physics student book and this is great as it really explains things, it also has free online resources that come with it, including a unit assessment for waves and radiation. Heres the link for that: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gik8nejvnx1xqc2/Higher%20Physics%20Student%20Book%20Answers%20Nov%202015.zip?dl=0&file_subpath=%2FHigher+Physics+Student+Book+Answers+Nov+2015%2FUnit+2%2F205457+Higher+Physics+SB_U2_Exam.pdf

and the answers: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gik8nejvnx1xqc2/Higher%20Physics%20Student%20Book%20Answers%20Nov%202015.zip?dl=0&file_subpath=%2FHigher+Physics+Student+Book+Answers+Nov+2015%2FUnit+2%2F205457+Higher+Physics+SB_U2_Exam+Ans.pdf

Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 37
Thanks a lot man, I think i meant to say particles and waves but what you linked is the stuff i need so thanks!
I find that unit the hardest as well. BBC bitesize has a good section on waves and radiation with tests at the end of each topic which highlights what you need to improve on, I found this helpful. As for the understanding, I would recommend making a mindmap of the unit that just has the concepts on it, this may help you remember it. Some textbooks are useful, I have the leckie and leckie higher physics student book and this is great as it really explains things, it also has free online resources that come with it, including a unit assessment for waves and radiation. Heres the link for that: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gik8nejvnx1xqc2/Higher%20Physics%20Student%20Book%20Answers%20Nov%202015.zip?dl=0&file_subpath=%2FHigher+Physics+Student+Book+Answers+Nov+2015%2FUnit+2%2F205457+Higher+Physics+SB_U2_Exam.pdf

and the answers: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gik8nejvnx1xqc2/Higher%20Physics%20Student%20Book%20Answers%20Nov%202015.zip?dl=0&file_subpath=%2FHigher+Physics+Student+Book+Answers+Nov+2015%2FUnit+2%2F205457+Higher+Physics+SB_U2_Exam+Ans.pdf

Hope this helps! :smile:
Original post by OSkis
Hey guys, i've taken higher physics and really need to get an A, Our Dynamic Universe was fine and electricity was tricky but manageable, but im really struggling with particles and waves, our teacher has rushed through it and I am struggling a lot with it, can anyone advise studying methods or resources for the topic? I think my problem is the majority of it being understanding + I find it immensely uninteresting compared to the earlier topics.
Thanks

Which particular outcome/element are you most having trouble with in this unit P&W?

(ps my website is at http://physics.tomctutor.com/ where the course notes are)
Can't figure out 2018 Specimen Paper Multiple Choice Q18 for the life of me.

Help appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending