The Student Room Group

DSA and Type 1 Diabetes?

It seems to be quite hard to get some answers about what the DSA is, I've been advised to apply for it because it can help me at UNI but there's a bit of confusion.

Some people have been saying that the DSA is for non medical help that I would need around UNI but requires me to have a medical condition, but other people have been saying that it's for additional medical equipment and I have to justify why I need this stuff?

I have a hard time managing my Diabetes day to day and suffer quite a bit from social Anxiety and find it hard to land/keep jobs so I can't really afford stuff like computers and I'll need one for my course so I was wondering if the DSA would cover something like that? I also saw some people saying that the DSA would cover for a mini fridge to keep my insulin in but when I enrolled at the UNI they just offered me one without the grant.
Original post by JeremyHunt87
It seems to be quite hard to get some answers about what the DSA is, I've been advised to apply for it because it can help me at UNI but there's a bit of confusion.

Some people have been saying that the DSA is for non medical help that I would need around UNI but requires me to have a medical condition, but other people have been saying that it's for additional medical equipment and I have to justify why I need this stuff?

I have a hard time managing my Diabetes day to day and suffer quite a bit from social Anxiety and find it hard to land/keep jobs so I can't really afford stuff like computers and I'll need one for my course so I was wondering if the DSA would cover something like that? I also saw some people saying that the DSA would cover for a mini fridge to keep my insulin in but when I enrolled at the UNI they just offered me one without the grant.

DSA covers extra support you'll need specifically through university not generally medical equipment, its things like laptops, egrogonimc chairs and human support like a mental health mentor. They could say technically you would need a fridge regardless so dsa wouldn't fund it. You might not get much support for your diabetes specifically but you might be able to get support for your anxiety. To get a laptop you would need to be able to say your condition requires you to have one, i was offered one because i have dyslexia and dyspraxia.
Ah, so it's really up to the needs assessor I would have to talk to after applying. I'm guessing I'd need to get medical letters from my GP disclosing my conditions?
Original post by claireestelle
DSA covers extra support you'll need specifically through university not generally medical equipment, its things like laptops, egrogonimc chairs and human support like a mental health mentor. They could say technically you would need a fridge regardless so dsa wouldn't fund it. You might not get much support for your diabetes specifically but you might be able to get support for your anxiety. To get a laptop you would need to be able to say your condition requires you to have one, i was offered one because i have dyslexia and dyspraxia.
Original post by JeremyHunt87
Ah, so it's really up to the needs assessor I would have to talk to after applying. I'm guessing I'd need to get medical letters from my GP disclosing my conditions?

Yes letters from your gp, yes it's up to student finance and what the needs assessor thinks, the needs assessment is really like an informal conversation really.

Latest