The Student Room Group

Are there any good pro natal arguments?

So far I see no good reason to have children. I do have reasons but they're kind of selfish which I won't go into.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The love you have for your child is unique and unlike any other you will experience in life (so I've heard).
I comes with age. I am in my mid 30' and most of my female friends and those I grew up around either got kids or really, really, want them...
Original post by quirky editor
So far I see no good reason to have children. I do have reasons but they're kind of selfish which I won't go into.
Reply 3
Original post by Banana_Slug
I comes with age. I am in my mid 30' and most of my female friends and those I grew up around either got kids or really, really, want them...

Isn't it the idea of wanting selfish and/or an argument from emotion?
Reply 4
Original post by BenK64
The love you have for your child is unique and unlike any other you will experience in life (so I've heard).

So you will cause unnecessary suffering by birthing a child just so you love them. Isn't a doll or a robot a better idea?
To continue the species I suppose is a non selfish reason? All my reasons for wanting a child in the future are personal reasons really.
Reply 6
I would say that is a thoughtful reason however humans are not endangered species and I'm not convinced they need to be preserved. Does that argument not empower white supremacists etc also?
I'm looking forward to the arguments. I haven't seen any good arguments(to me), a lot presuppose that's human life is necessary.
(edited 5 years ago)
Plenty of reasons: to help continue the human presence on earth, boost the number of potential taxpayers for the next generation, being able to provide a child with affection from the start of its life and the chance to see/experience all the most best aspects of the world.
To preserve your family lineage, to raise a child to be a decent human being and to do good for the world, to fulfil the ultimate goal of life. and obviously to have something you can spend time and effort to give the best life possible.
Original post by londonmyst
Plenty of reasons: to help continue the human presence on earth, boost the number of potential taxpayers for the next generation, being able to provide a child with affection from the start of its life and the chance to see/experience all the most best aspects of the world.

Why does an unborn child need to be birthed in order to give it affection? Also is quality not better than quantity. Would you rather be born in India and China (high population) or the UK if you were randomly to be born? GDP per capita is the imoirant point and the world economic growth people recommend contraception.
Reply 11
So you will cause unnecessary suffering by birthing a child just so you love them. Isn't a doll or a robot a better idea?

Yes birthing a child is physically painful, and yes, if you're a good parent, raising a child will be decades of work and stress and commitment and sacrifice. But ultimately you will have nurtured a unique, competent social being whom you would be willing to die for, such is your love for them. A doll is obviously no substitute for a child. The greatest rewards require the greatest sacrifice - this is true of all things in life not just raising a child.

Raising a child isn't the only method of achieving meaning in life. But if your attitude in life is to simply avoid any 'unnecessary suffering' or sacrifice then I believe you will have quite a shallow and materialistic existence. An easy life isn't necessarily a good one.
Reply 12
I still see no good reasons to have a child. Pretty much all reasons are either pointless or selfish.
Original post by BenK64
Yes birthing a child is physically painful, and yes, if you're a good parent, raising a child will be decades of work and stress and commitment and sacrifice. But ultimately you will have nurtured a unique, competent social being whom you would be willing to die for, such is your love for them. A doll is obviously no substitute for a child. The greatest rewards require the greatest sacrifice - this is true of all things in life not just raising a child.

Raising a child isn't the only method of achieving meaning in life. But if your attitude in life is to simply avoid any 'unnecessary suffering' or sacrifice then I believe you will have quite a shallow and materialistic existence. An easy life isn't necessarily a good one.

If by materialistic you mean lack of suoer natural I would agree.
Why does an unborn child need to be birthed in order to give it affection? Also is quality not better than quantity. Would you rather be born in India and China (high population) or the UK if you were randomly to be born? GDP per capita is the imoirant point and the world economic growth people recommend contraception.

To experience, remember or understand human affection, a child has to be born.
Most people do desire some affection from parents and treasure memories of being loved- to feel that they were wanted.
My best friend was born in india and has dual nationality, sometimes I wish I had access to citizenship of multiple countries.
Original post by londonmyst
To experience, remember or understand human affection, a child has to be born.
Most people do desire some affection from parents and treasure memories of being loved- to feel that they were wanted.
My best friend was born in india and has dual nationality, sometimes I wish I had access to citizenship of multiple countries.

Being born in India your chances of being born to a poorer family are greater wouldn't you agree?
Reply 16
If by materialistic you mean lack of suoer natural I would agree.

I mean pursuing only shallow pleasures. Monetary wealth and material possession being the purpose of your life. Valuing lust over love.
Original post by BenK64
I mean pursuing only shallow pleasures. Monetary wealth and material possession being the purpose of your life. Valuing lust over love.

Babies are made of matter though. You (not personally, you as in people who argue this way) want to fulfill your own selfish desires. There's also adoption, foestering etc.
Reply 18
Babies are made of matter though. You want to fulfill your own selfish desires. There's also adoption, foestering etc.

I don’t think it’s fair calling it selfish. Sacrificing decades of your life for another human being is a worthy thing. There are plenty of bad and selfish parents out there- abusive, alcoholic, neglecting of their child’s needs and time in favour of their own, unconcerned with their child’s development etc. A good parent is not selfish. In fact the desire to raise a child and give it the best life possible, at the expense of your own time and pleasures, is the opposite of selfish desire.

Babies are made of matter, we are all totally physical creatures. But if you truly cannot find any reason to birth or raise a child then I don’t see how it’s possible to see a reason for your own existence. Because from this logic you end up with a very nihilistic view of life, such that nothing is important or worth your time, including your own life.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by BenK64
I don’t think it’s fair calling it selfish. Sacrificing decades of your life for another human being is a worthy thing. There are plenty of bad and selfish parents out there- abusive, alcoholic, neglecting of their child’s needs and time in favour of their own, unconcerned with their child’s development etc. A good parent is not selfish. In fact the desire to raise a child and give it the best life possible, at the expense of your own time and pleasures, is the opposite of selfish desire.

Babies are made of matter, we are all totally physical creatures. But if you truly cannot find any reason to birth or raise a child then I don’t see how it’s possible to see a reason for your own existence. Because from this logic you end up with a very nihilistic view of life, such that nothing is important or worth your time, including your own life.

I kind of agree with that last paragraph. I am just giving meaning to the life I already have. There's no inherent reason I need to exist.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending