The Student Room Group

How do A-Level resits actually work?

How exactly do A-Level resists work? So if I sat last summers exams (june 2018) will I sit the june 2019 papers for my resits? What if the syllabus has changed and I have no way to learn it (because the sixth form didn't let me stay on for a 3rd year). My old chemistry teacher says that the resit will be a mixture of recent A-level papers but not the actual june 2019. Is this true? Please help me.
What specs are u doing?
Reply 2
it's just a whole new paper they set specifically for resists. They aren't open the the public when they're done like the other past A levels, just purely resits
Original post by kaiju78
How exactly do A-Level resists work? So if I sat last summers exams (june 2018) will I sit the june 2019 papers for my resits? What if the syllabus has changed and I have no way to learn it (because the sixth form didn't let me stay on for a 3rd year). My old chemistry teacher says that the resit will be a mixture of recent A-level papers but not the actual june 2019. Is this true? Please help me.

You sit the 2019 paper. Your teacher is wrong and should know better. Its the same paper that everyone else sits. If it was first sit then the resit should e the same syllabus.
Original post by londonerO
it's just a whole new paper they set specifically for resists. They aren't open the the public when they're done like the other past A levels, just purely resits

Care to link this point from an official source?
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
Care to link this point from an official source?

I can't do that, I can only go off my GCSE English resit, where it wasn't the paper I sat earlier in the summer but of course it was the same syllabus. And when I checked later to see if it had be released by AQA it hadn't.
For my exam board WJEC, if I were to get a D in my second year of A level for a paper, then I wanted to re-sit the paper next year and the whole spec changed then they would give us the old spec (so the spec I originally did).

I would be doing the exam with people doing the new spec and people re-sitting who are doing the old spec.

This should be the same for you. So nothing should change with what you learn.

As different exam boards have different rules, I suggest you call or email your exam board. (Alternatively, you could message them on Twitter, usually quicker for me)
Reply 7

Ah, I see. So even though they're on the same day as non resist, they're actually different papers? Will they be externally or internally marked?
I can't do that, I can only go off my GCSE English resit, where it wasn't the paper I sat earlier in the summer but of course it was the same syllabus. And when I checked later to see if it had be released by AQA it hadn't.

Then you're talking out of your ass. I'm resitting and i'm doing the june 2019 series.
Reply 9
Cie for biology, aqa for chemistry, mei ocr c3, c4 and s2 maths
Original post by Switch01
What specs are u doing?
Original post by kaiju78
Cie for biology, aqa for chemistry, mei ocr c3, c4 and s2 maths

For biology and chemistry you will be taking the normal summer 2019 exam papers. For CIE just the unit papers you choose, there's no significant difference between 2016-2018 and 2019-2021 versions. For AQA you resit all of the linear A level papers.
For maths you will be taking specific unit papers that are only available to resit candidates.
Original post by kaiju78
Ah, I see. So even though they're on the same day as non resist, they're actually different papers? Will they be externally or internally marked?

externally marked as it's an official examination
Original post by Trapmoneybenny
Then you're talking out of your ass. I'm resitting and i'm doing the june 2019 series.

Maybe you're on a different board with different rules. But when I did my resit, the questions were all different to the original paper which I did in 2019. They couldn't give you the same paper as answers could get leaked and teachers could give you questions in advance, it just doesn't make any sense to resit the same paper

1. Ofc the resit paper isnt the same paper.
2. Everyone doing resits or main sits at the same sitting will sit the same paper. i.e summer 2019.
3. Papers arent released for quite a while as they have other uses.
4. You are wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest