The Student Room Group

Should i do combined or triple science

My teacher offered me a chance to do the combined papers for science where she predicts i will get 8-8 where as in triple i might get 8 -7-7 which should i pick

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd go for Triple, if you've already studied the course then why would you go to Combined? You'll get 3 GCSEs and those are good grades.
Original post by Jacklog
My teacher offered me a chance to do the combined papers for science where she predicts i will get 8-8 where as in triple i might get 8 -7-7 which should i pick
Reply 2
Original post by alendi
I'd go for Triple, if you've already studied the course then why would you go to Combined? You'll get 3 GCSEs and those are good grades.

I would revise a lot less for combined so i would probrably find it easier as i learned all of combined in a lot more detail so wouldnt that give me am advantage over those who only learnt combined. Also im thinking like in a levels where its way better to get 3As instead of maybe 2As then 2Bs overall it eould just look better
Reply 3
Yes there's less to revise but if your teacher only thinks it's a difference of 8-7-7 to 8-8 you're only dropping one grade but otherwise you'd be missing out on a whole GCSE. Also you wouldn't have an advantage over Combined Students, if anything you might end up giving an answer that was on the Triple specification but not on Combined & missing the point. They'll still have learnt the same specification as you and that's all the exam can ask you about.

A Levels are what matter the most for university & jobs - I think it's not quite the same for GCSEs, more is better but obviously only if the grades stay high where it matters.

Idk obviously it's your choice but you're smart enough to be getting those grades so you know what you're capable of

Original post by Jacklog
I would revise a lot less for combined so i would probrably find it easier as i learned all of combined in a lot more detail so wouldnt that give me am advantage over those who only learnt combined. Also im thinking like in a levels where its way better to get 3As instead of maybe 2As then 2Bs overall it eould just look better
Go for the triple, you get 3 grades and if you want to choose science in A level it is a must. Sciences open many paths for your future.
My opinion is just:

On the one hand you have already studied the content you need to study for triple, and this is useful as if you want to do a science at A level some sixth forms and colleges require you to have done triple science at GCSE. Triple also accounts for more GCSEs.

On the other hand if you find the triple science content tough to understand then I would say go for the combined paper, also you are saying you will achieve higher grades.

To conclude I think that you should take triple as a 8-8 in triple is worth more than a 8-7-7 in a combined paper, and triple accounts for more GCSEs than combined science. Hence I think that you should take triple science.
Original post by Jacklog
It depends on what you want to study/what career you want to go into in the future.
If you want a career in the science/medicine/engineering field then I'd go for Triple Science.
If you don't then go for Combined Science.
If you have no idea what you want to do yet, I'd opt for Triple because it opens more doors for you in the future.
Reply 7
Thx for the replies guys think imma just go with triple
I'm currently doing Triple Science, and 90% of my year group also picked triple science, even though they weren't looking for a science based career. If you want a to persue a science based career in the future, it is advisable to pick triple science as it will be a bonus for A Level and will get you more prepared. Target grades and predctions doesn't mean that you will just get your target grade, as people improve a lot in 2 years of their GCSE course and tend to achieve higher than their target grade. At the beginning of Year 7, my target grade for Latin was a Level 5, but by Year 9, I had a Level 8. My advise to you is just be optimistic and pick Triple, and I'll guarantee that you won't regret or in the future. In the meantime, Good Luck on your decision.
Stick with Triple. In our school everyone is automatically entered into Combined Science: Trilogy and one set (around 30 students) are entered into Triple Science. Wish I had the chance to study triple as I got a grade 6 in physics but my biology grade put me down to a 5.7. Unless you are not confident in one area of science.
Original post by kurro
Go for the triple, you get 3 grades and if you want to choose science in A level it is a must. Sciences open many paths for your future.

No it is not combined science is a good qualification as well you can still get 8s and 9s but you dont have to revise ....triple is just an overload....i say you pick combined it is beneficial and you will have less weight on your shoulder
You can do A levels with combined science. In my school, you need 2 science gcses of grade 6. Meaning the 6-6 grade would get you in.
Original post by Jacklog

Definitely go for triple. 8-7-7 is an A* and two As. Plus that's just predicted...
If you feel you want to do double, there's no shame in that. But 3 grades are better than two at GCSE, and 2 As and an A* is pretty good. Especially if you want to pursue science further than GCSE.
Very true indeed
Original post by GDO10
You can do A levels with combined science. In my school, you need 2 science gcses of grade 6. Meaning the 6-6 grade would get you in.
Original post by Jacklog

I'm doing triple, and find it a lot easier to revise, as each science is clearly defined per paper, so I know where I'm at when revising and sitting a paper. That being said, if you can't be arsed to revise a little more (which is completely fair enough), then combined isn't a bad idea.
I'm personally doing triple, my teacher told us for triple, you get 3 qualifications as oppose to 2, I find you'd find it better.
Original post by arieslover
No it is not combined science is a good qualification as well you can still get 8s and 9s but you dont have to revise ....triple is just an overload....i say you pick combined it is beneficial and you will have less weight on your shoulder

Seriously?
Damn, they keep changing the rules.

This was a few years ago but for me, if I chose double science, there is much less workload but you only get one grade for all sciences and max is a C.

But if you were to go into the triple, there are two more choices: higher and foundation.
In foundation the max we could get was a B, that is if you got a C (max in an exam) for all exams and an A* in course work.
Then in higher, the max was, of course, an A*
But now literally most of the system has changed where combined science has tiers foundation and higher. Foundation exam will go to max grade 5 which is equal to high C, Low B....and Higher tier would go to 9 which is equal to A star star which the highest grade you can ever get.....triple is the same system as double but has lots of topics that doesn't come in combined....now for combined you get 2 grades which is good
Original post by kurro
Seriously?
Damn, they keep changing the rules.

This was a few years ago but for me, if I chose double science, there is much less workload but you only get one grade for all sciences and max is a C.

But if you were to go into the triple, there are two more choices: higher and foundation.
In foundation the max we could get was a B, that is if you got a C (max in an exam) for all exams and an A* in course work.
Then in higher, the max was, of course, an A*
Combined is the same as triple but you have one extra grade for each subject....combined do the same stuff as you but triple has more workload...i say combined is the best option....you have to listen to your heart.
Original post by XKangaotiCX
I'm doing triple, and find it a lot easier to revise, as each science is clearly defined per paper, so I know where I'm at when revising and sitting a paper. That being said, if you can't be arsed to revise a little more (which is completely fair enough), then combined isn't a bad idea.
Original post by arieslover
But now literally most of the system has changed where combined science has tiers foundation and higher. Foundation exam will go to max grade 5 which is equal to high C, Low B....and Higher tier would go to 9 which is equal to A star star which the highest grade you can ever get.....triple is the same system as double but has lots of topics that doesn't come in combined....now for combined you get 2 grades which is good

Dang wish ours was like that 😂

But why are there two grades for double if there are 3 sciences?lol

Quick Reply

Latest