The Student Room Group

GCSE Chem & Bio - Triple

Any predictions on what the 6 markers might be on?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alec.A

Sorry that I inquire but what did you mean when you were talking about 6 markers? a bit precise and I am sure I can give you a helpful answer. :yes:
Reply 2
oh sorry! I meant for the 2019 GCSE triple papers what everyone think the 6 mark questions on the chemistry and biology papers will be on?

Original post by Kallisto
Sorry that I inquire but what did you mean when you were talking about 6 markers? a bit precise and I am sure I can give you a helpful answer. :yes:
Last year:
for bio there was one on comparisons of lungs of people which smoke and dont smoke, food tests. There was also one on finding the number of plants in an area using sampling, had to work out area of a compound shape for it. There was also one on eutrophication.
and for chem there was one on comparisons on life cycle assesment comparisons.

Can't remember much more.
I did my triple higher gcse papers last year and got 9 and 8 in bio and chem
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Congratulations on your grades! We did those papers as our mocks and I achieved the same haha I was just wondering what everyone was predicting to come up this year
Original post by Jack Smith123
Last year:
for bio there was one on comparisons of lungs of people which smoke and dont smoke, food tests. There was also one on finding the number of plants in an area using sampling, had to work out area of a compound shape for it.
and for chem there was one on comparisons on life cycle assesment comparisons.

Can't remember much more.
I did my triple higher gcse papers last year and got 9 and 8 in bio and chem
Original post by Alec.A
Congratulations on your grades! We did those papers as our mocks and I achieved the same haha I was just wondering what everyone was predicting to come up this year

Grade boundaries were low last year. Being able to compare using key words and knowing the markscheme is really important. I can't really speak now though since I barely have my head above the water in a levels :frown: xD
Original post by Alec.A
oh sorry! I meant for the 2019 GCSE triple papers what everyone think the 6 mark questions on the chemistry and biology papers will be on?

So you are talking about points for gradings. According to the topics I had in past papers at this level, I think it is

Physics
Mechanics
Electricity

Biology
Genetics
Cytology

Chemistry
Stoichiometry (calculation of the mass, moles, etc.)
Chemical reactions (as in protolysis and electrolysis)

I think those topics are candidates for 6 markers, as these ones are challenging for students to give proper and plausible explanations.
Reply 7
What are you taking aha?
Grade boundaries were low last year. Being able to compare using key words and knowing the markscheme is really important. I can't really speak now though since I barely have my head above the water in a levels :frown: xD
Reply 8
Thank you! I'm still just gonna revise everything in case haha but I just wanted some insight into what others thought thanks!!
So you are talking about points for gradings. According to the topics I had in past papers at this level, I think it is

Physics
Mechanics
Electricity

Biology
Genetics
Cytology

Chemistry
Stoichiometry (calculation of the mass, moles, etc.)
Chemical reactions (as in protolysis and electrolysis)

I think those topics are candidates for 6 markers, as these ones are challenging for students to give proper and plausible explanations.
Original post by Alec.A
Thank you! I'm still just gonna revise everything in case haha but I just wanted some insight into what others thought thanks!!

You are welcome!

Keep in mind that it is my personal estimation. It might be possible that those topics have quite easy test papers and thus lesser markers.
i can practically guarantee there will be a 6 marker for chem on LCA and how to make a salt, for phy probably a pros and cons question, and on magnetism.
Btw im also doing my gcse this year as well
Original post by Alec.A
There was a big marker on making a salt and tritration and a LOT OF CALCS in paper 1 chem last year. They give a lot of calcs in paper 1 cuz that is where the examiners will meet the criteria of 30% of exam being maths.
Original post by cranjar1908
i can practically guarantee there will be a 6 marker for chem on LCA and how to make a salt, for phy probably a pros and cons question, and on magnetism.
yh i forgot about titrations as well, u can also expect a lot of calculations for physics and chem,
For chem its to do with moles, atom economy and volume of gas.
For phy, its related to the formulas you learn. These would max be 5 marks if they are a level 9 question.
There was a big marker on making a salt and tritration and a LOT OF CALCS in paper 1 chem last year. They give a lot of calcs in paper 1 cuz that is where the examiners will meet the criteria of 30% of exam being maths.
Reply 13
Yhhhh which is why I'm gonna go over it all just in case something I didn't expect comes up haha
You are welcome!

Keep in mind that it is my personal estimation. It might be possible that those topics have quite easy test papers and thus lesser markers.
Reply 14
There was a 6 marker on LCA's on last years so do you think it would come up again this year? I was thinking maybe something about potable water?
Reply 15
the titration question was pretty difficult and after doing the mock I realised there was a lot more maths in P1 than P2 hope the P2 is similar this year in the type of questions
maybe, in the gcse there are many common questions, for example all the paper 1 chem ive seen have the 6 marker on making a salt.
Original post by Alec.A
There was a 6 marker on LCA's on last years so do you think it would come up again this year? I was thinking maybe something about potable water?
Reply 17
true generally about crystallisation or something about electrolysis // I hope there is a question on the biology paper about the heart since there wasn't one last year
maybe, in the gcse there are many common questions, for example all the paper 1 chem ive seen have the 6 marker on making a salt.
Original post by Alec.A
Yhhhh which is why I'm gonna go over it all just in case something I didn't expect comes up haha

I just can advise you to look at past papers for 2018 at least, and maybe the years in 2017 and 2016. Perhaps you realize a 'pattern'.
yh ur right. Ive seen some 6 markers on the heart where you have to analyze some data to answer the question. Also in bio paper 2 u cud expect a 6 marker on insulin and glucose (diabetes or negative feedback)
Original post by Alec.A
true generally about crystallisation or something about electrolysis // I hope there is a question on the biology paper about the heart since there wasn't one last year

Quick Reply

Latest