The Student Room Group

Eng Lit quotes

How do you pick out quotes/decide which quotes to memorise for English Lit??? btw i am doing Frankenstein, LOTF and Macbeth
Reply 1
I'd recommend remembering at least three quotes for each character, and make sure you can say a lot about that quote. For Lord of the Flies, you could have these quotes:

Jack: "*******s to the rules!", "Painted and garlanded, sat there like an idol", "He was stark naked save for a belt", "awesome stranger"

Ralph: "mildness about his mouth...that proclaimed no devil", "launched himself like a cat", "Things are breaking up. I don't understand why" (could also refer to the British Empire breaking up at the time)

Simon: "He's queer. He's gay", "skinny vivid little boy", "covered with a coat of pearls", "sculptured marble"

Piggy: "fat slug", "Life is scientific", "no time for a grunt", "twitched a bit like a pig, after it has been killed"

Roger: "furtive", "dark boy", "hangman's horror clung to him"

It's also worth remembering quotes for themes in LOTF. For example, the island is personified a lot by Golding.

"black, bat-like shadows" and the island moving "steadily astern" (foreshadows their descent into savagery)
Original post by Anthos
I'd recommend remembering at least three quotes for each character, and make sure you can say a lot about that quote. For Lord of the Flies, you could have these quotes:

Jack: "*******s to the rules!", "Painted and garlanded, sat there like an idol", "He was stark naked save for a belt", "awesome stranger"

Ralph: "mildness about his mouth...that proclaimed no devil", "launched himself like a cat", "Things are breaking up. I don't understand why" (could also refer to the British Empire breaking up at the time)

Simon: "He's queer. He's gay", "skinny vivid little boy", "covered with a coat of pearls", "sculptured marble"

Piggy: "fat slug", "Life is scientific", "no time for a grunt", "twitched a bit like a pig, after it has been killed"

It's also worth remembering quotes for themes in LOTF. For example, the island is personified a lot by Golding.

"black, bat-like shadows" and the island moving "steadily astern" (foreshadows their descent into savagery)

How did you go about deciding which ones to memorise?
Also, have you got any quotes for macbeth and frankenstein(especially for the delacy family(e.g.Felix), Elizabeth Lavenza)?
Original post by Anthos

Reply 4
Original post by pancakesbob7
How did you go about deciding which ones to memorise?

I pick the quotes that I can say a lot about - linking it to context and analysing language and its effects.

I don't do Macbeth and Frankenstein but maybe sparknotes might help - https://www.sparknotes.com/shakespeare/macbeth/
https://www.sparknotes.com/lit/frankenstein/
Ok thank you!!
Original post by Anthos
I pick the quotes that I can say a lot about - linking it to context and analysing language and its effects.

I don't do Macbeth and Frankenstein but maybe sparknotes might help - https://www.sparknotes.com/shakespeare/macbeth/
https://www.sparknotes.com/lit/frankenstein/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending