The Student Room Group

Predictions for GCSEs 2019

Hi guys!

Diksha here!

So with around 75 days to go until my first GCSE,it's all starting to sink in so I made this post to find out how you guys are feeling about these exams (like is anyone even prepared?) and how hard do you predict these exams are going to be? Like,I've been doing past papers and stuff and for maths especially ('Edexcel') some papers are mad!

Hope to hear from you soon!

Diksha x

Scroll to see replies

The grade boundaries are deffo gonna be higher so the papers may be at the same standard or harder I doubt they will be any easier. In terms of languages the listening papers were unbelievably difficult so they might make those easier. Im jusst thinking what the english lit questions will be like.
Reply 2
Definitely agreeing with you on the language listening papers,they were very difficult,I had the Spanish one for my mock and it was crazy!!
English literature keeps me thinking as well because so far the questions seem to be samey but I'm scared they'll try and spice things up a little bit for our year,considering we're the third year running for the new spec for English-like can you imagine writing an essay on Eva Smith (if anyone does 'An Inspector Calls')...

Diksha x
Reply 3
Is it possible to have a question on the porter for Macbeth ?
Reply 4
I'm so sorry,I don't do 'Mabeth' for my Shakespeare,I do 'Much Ado About Nothing'.
So
Original post by Kira221
No way- The Porter has 4 speech lines!

For GCSE they will keep it to main themes/characters. For the 2019 AQA paper, going off of the 2017/2018 questions and sample papers I reckon guilt or fate vs free-will. Most likely Guilt IMO.
Original post by Kira221
Good luck, did my GCSEs last year, thank the lord for low grade boundaries.
Hi there everyone!
Any ideas about the English Lit poetry comparison essay? What the question could be? For those that did their GCSEs last year and the year before, what were the questions that came in the exam?
Original post by khadijahdjemaa
Hi there everyone!
Any ideas about the English Lit poetry comparison essay? What the question could be? For those that did their GCSEs last year and the year before, what were the questions that came in the exam?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5879000
Omg maybe the examiners might be kind enough to let us get good grades
Idk why i have a feeling its gonna be the poem Poppies
it might be who knows but i hope tissues dont come up i really hate that so freaking much aaaggghhhh
Original post by shivixxx1111
The grade boundaries are deffo gonna be higher so the papers may be at the same standard or harder I doubt they will be any easier. In terms of languages the listening papers were unbelievably difficult so they might make those easier. Im jusst thinking what the english lit questions will be like.

why does everyone always say the grade boundaries are gonna b higher like how do you know isnt it based on how the whole of year 11 performs???
Reply 13
You're right,it is to do with how we all perform but the teachers (some of whom are examiners) believe we are a cleverer year than last year so on average we will perform well,hence the grade boundaries will go up. But if the grade boundaries do go up,it means our papers will be slightly easier than last year's!

Hope I helped!

Diksha x
Original post by lulu9121
why does everyone always say the grade boundaries are gonna b higher like how do you know isnt it based on how the whole of year 11 performs???
ohh, I understand and that is helpful, thank you! x

Original post by diksha2002
You're right,it is to do with how we all perform but the teachers (some of whom are examiners) believe we are a cleverer year than last year so on average we will perform well,hence the grade boundaries will go up. But if the grade boundaries do go up,it means our papers will be slightly easier than last year's!

Hope I helped!

Diksha x
Reply 15
No worries

Diksha x
Original post by lulu9121
ohh, I understand and that is helpful, thank you! x
I'm so sorry,I don't do 'Mabeth' for my Shakespeare,I do 'Much Ado About Nothing'.
So

What is your prediction for who it will be on ?
Reply 17
My teacher predicted that it will be on deceit.
I think that this would be really good because
there's so much to talk about deceit!

Hope this helps!

Diksha x
Original post by Starjalsha
What is your prediction for who it will be on ?

Hope I helped!

Diksha x

hopefully
Diksha, there is no possible way for our year to be randomly cleverer and there is no way of your teacher knowing if we are (whether they’re an examiner or not!) Infact, our year is just as mediocre as the rest! The grade boundaries heighten with the standard of the exam (not the standard of students which doesn’t differ between the years). So subsequently, if an exam is hard, students don’t perform as well hence low boundaries. Don’t perpetuate strange myths about our year because we are just one of many year groups that will pass through this unforgiving machine of the school system

Hope I helped!

Diksha x

Quick Reply

Latest