The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Biology 2018/19

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Not sure if this will work for you but what I did for unit 1 was made summary notes of what each topic is about such as for the sodium potassium pump, I just wrote out the steps and memories it
Original post by Mhussain01
Has anyone made quizlet flashcards for unit 3? Also any advice for studying unit 1? I struggled with it during prelims and I’m still not able to understand it fully.
I’ve made summary notes too and I’m okay with the na/k pump but I’ll try further summarising the topics again and see if it helps.
Has anyone got any websites for good revision questions with answers apart from Scholar? I have been trying to find questions to do but I can't find what I am looking for. Thanks
bright red has a website with Q's but it ain't that great tbh
I find youtube videos quite helpful for some of the more complex areas - Amoeba Sisters have great videos, particularly for meiosis and mitosis, and Kahn Academy are good as well :smile:
hi does anyone know of a website or have access to previous biology past papers as I cant seem to find any:/
You should be able to find them here on the sqa website https://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/findpastpaper.htm?subject=Biology&level=NAH
true but I am looking for more earlier ones
Original post by Mhussain01
You should be able to find them here on the sqa website https://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/findpastpaper.htm?subject=Biology&level=NAH
Try the discontinued advanced higher papers
Original post by chic geek
true but I am looking for more earlier ones
Original post by A_Ch
Hey, can someone help me with this question?
The answer is D.

Is it how the question is worded, or do you have any ideas or working so far?
Can give you the answer, but is probably more helpful if I point you in the direction to find it, rather than just giving it :smile:
Reply 90
I'm so sorry I've posted this into the wrong chat. This is actually biology

Original post by Labrador99
Can give you the answer, but is probably more helpful if I point you in the direction to find it, rather than just giving it :smile:
Original post by A_Ch
I'm so sorry I've posted this into the wrong chat. This is actually biology

Did wonder a little :lol: It's easily done though! Will move it over just now, but can still help :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 92
Thanks, but I have already asked my question in the Biology chat now
Did wonder a little :lol: Will move it over just now, but can still help :smile:
Original post by A_Ch
Thanks, but I have already asked my question in the Biology chat now

I'm still able to help you get to the answer, see below :smile:

Reply 94
I actually don't even have a clue. Because I thought virulence meant like the rate a of how it has affected someone e.g. number dying from infection so I picked B as it was the highest in 2006.
I'm still able to help you get to the answer, see below :smile:
Original post by A_Ch
I actually don't even have a clue. Because I thought virulence meant like the rate a of how it has affected someone e.g. number dying from infection so I picked B as it was the highest in 2006.

Would you be able to repost the question, as it's been deleted?
Reply 96
sure

Would you be able to repost the question, as it's been deleted?
Original post by A_Ch
sure

The answer is D I believe
Original post by A_Ch
sure

Original post by A_Ch

In this one, what it takes virulence to be has been defined in the question as the CFR, which is described as 'the percentage of infections that result in death'. Since the number of infected people changes each year, making them each into a % allows them to be compared (a bit like trying to compare an exam out of 50 with one out of 90) to basically find out how good the virus is at causing death.
The question is therefore asking you to find out what percent of infected people died for each year, and then compare them.

Solution:

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 99
okay thanks
In this one, what it takes virulence to be has been defined in the question as the CFR, which is described as 'the percentage of infections that result in death'. Since the number of infected people changes each year, making them each into a % allows them to be compared (a bit like trying to compare an exam out of 50 with one out of 90) to basically find out how good the virus is at causing death.
The question is therefore asking you to find out what percent of infected people died for each year, and then compare them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending