The Student Room Group

Online MSc Computer Science with Data Analytics at University of York

Scroll to see replies

Original post by firebaron999
I was told by university staff that the programming languages taught are Javascript and Python. Why are they recommending books on Java?

Most likely because whoever you spoke to didn't understand the difference between Java and Javascript. Its Java being used, not Javascript.
Hi guys,

So who here have accepted York's offer?

And has anyone seen the online learning platform of York?
I am strongly considering this degree. I looked at Staffs for a while but it isn’t prestigious at all and I’ve heard a couple of awful reviews.

I have a few Qs - how hard is the application process? I’ve had a look through the application and it just seems like I need to upload my degree and CV - does my CV need to be tailored to this course or can I just upload my generic office CV? There doesn’t seem to be much advice about applying.

Also - at what point do you apply for student finance for this?
Hey guys, I’ve also applied for this course, it’s The University of York so it’s likely to be good. I’m also doing the CS MSc at Hertfordshire which I can confirm is really good, however I feel like compared to the York MSc it’s a bit more simplistic. Someone mentioned the Bath CS conversion course, I think the main reason why the York course is more appealing is because they teach about algorithms which are pretty essential to most CS graduate scheme interviews. Also for anyone considering the Robotics and Autonomous systems MSc at Sussex, don’t bother with it it’s truly awful.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by elideli
I have applied to the course and was admitted. It's true that the course is running for the first time although York is not a no-name university. Being part of the Russel Group is a good stamp of quality. The CS department seems to be well regarded and has a well-qualified teaching staff. I have researched almost every conversion MSc in CS around the world and couldn't find anything cheaper from a similarly ranked university (I'm Canadian). I know there's going to be downs as a first time running course, but I'm not looking to be handheld, I just want a programme that I'll use as a base to break-in computer science, be aware that in such a programme, you'll have to be independent and learn things on your own to succeed. The good thing is you have tons of resources available online to supplement your learning. What I really also like about the programme as opposed to others is that it's not a watered down version of an MSc CS, you study the real thing like Architecture, Algorithms & Data Structures, Advanced Programming, Machine Learning etc. York is actually delivering the course in partnership with a US company which has a long history of delivering online programmes for other institutions in the US. The online learning platform is Canvas LMS which is one of the best, not your *****y typical Blackboard or Moodle, to me, this makes a difference. The Bath programme looks very good as well but I don't think it's worth 5K more and Bath is not as well regarded as York. Some other online programmes I have looked at are Northumbria, Huddersfield, Liverpool, Staffordshire, and Aberdeen. I have done a ton of research before pulling the trigger on York, if you have any question let me know otherwise I hope to see you in the online induction :smile:

** I was looking at Research Excellence Framework results and York is on par with Manchester and Edinburgh for the quality of its research in CS.

https://results.ref.ac.uk/(S(fyjw2atnemz4rhyk1e1zytds))/Results/ByUoa/11

Yeah I was actually pretty worried about age of the course too, however when I rang York they told me that it’s actually been running for a like a year or two on campus, they simply moved the modules online this year apparently so I guess we should be ok.
Has anyone else heard about the £650 upfront payment? Talking to York on the phone, a lady said I would have to pay for the first module until SFE has received confirmation from the Uni that I am enrolled on the course, after which I will get the £650 back. I asked her to send me some information about that specifically but she just sent me the generic funding page on the York Online website. Idk, I'm probably being silly but it seems a bit odd. I need to know its legit before I go asking my dad to lend me £650 lmao.
I've just been told that we learn Java, JavaScript and Python so that's cool.
Hi guys,

I think this online programme at York has started and you guys should have already registered for the first module, so could you please give me some of your thoughts on the online learning platform, the induction, the course contents and materials, ...? Up to now, how do you feel about it?

Thanks!
Original post by ericchau
Hi guys,

I think this online programme at York has started and you guys should have already registered for the first module, so could you please give me some of your thoughts on the online learning platform, the induction, the course contents and materials, ...? Up to now, how do you feel about it?

Thanks!

I have enrolled in the 1st module and completed the orientation. Algorithms and Data Structures module will start by teaching about programming (Java) from scratch as the program does not require any prior knowledge about programming and then will move towards algorithms and data structures. This course is like a foundation for the rest of the program. The next module is advanced programming, which will probably focus on programming in depth. You can have a look at the program's website to know the modules that would be offered in the program.

The University has provided resources to better prepare for the programming before it begins, which includes resources about language, Maths and programming skills.

They are using Canvas for online course delivery and It seems OK.
Is anyone else taking this course even though their background/previous qualifications are totally different? My background is pure biology but I have completely fallen out of love with it, hence starting this course. I'm worried employers won't look at it favourably, especially when compared to someone who has an extensive background in CS.
Reply 50
Original post by KittensAndCakes
Is anyone else taking this course even though their background/previous qualifications are totally different? My background is pure biology but I have completely fallen out of love with it, hence starting this course. I'm worried employers won't look at it favourably, especially when compared to someone who has an extensive background in CS.

Have faith in yourself. Plenty of successful software developers have no background in CS. With an MSc in CS and hard work, you'll certainly be in a strong position to get a good job. There's simply not enough people with CS backgrounds to fulfill all CS jobs out there. People are doing *****y 3-month bootcamps and still manage to succeed. Take the plunge and be ready to work very hard.
Hello, yes, I don't have a CS background. My background is in the music industry. I was laid off last year and have enrolled on the course starting April 29th. My intentions are to learn new skills and apply this to my music business knowledge in the hope that it will be easier to find work. I am really interested in data and keen to learn CS skills. Great to have found this thread.
Original post by KittensAndCakes
Has anyone else heard about the £650 upfront payment? Talking to York on the phone, a lady said I would have to pay for the first module until SFE has received confirmation from the Uni that I am enrolled on the course, after which I will get the £650 back. I asked her to send me some information about that specifically but she just sent me the generic funding page on the York Online website. Idk, I'm probably being silly but it seems a bit odd. I need to know its legit before I go asking my dad to lend me £650 lmao.

In order to get enrolled on the course you have to pay for the first module which is £650. Once enrolled you get access to the materials, can apply for student card etc. I'm not sure about SFE stuff but it makes sense that finance agencies only pay out once enrolment confirmed. Bit chicken and egg but there you go.

I've enrolled on it as well. Canvas seems good and theres links to a lot of resources for pre course stuff to get you acquainted with Algorithms, Java and fundamentals(how does a computer work, how does the internet work). The resources are a combination of freely available web links and pdfs for books only accessible by authenticating through uni student credentials. Canvas has a pretty nifty Reading List feature with pdfs/ links for recommended reading preloaded.

Won't know more until the course starts but i'm happy with the orientation stuff.
Original post by elideli
Have faith in yourself. Plenty of successful software developers have no background in CS. With an MSc in CS and hard work, you'll certainly be in a strong position to get a good job. There's simply not enough people with CS backgrounds to fulfill all CS jobs out there. People are doing *****y 3-month bootcamps and still manage to succeed. Take the plunge and be ready to work very hard.

Ditto to this. I've been in a dev job for 2 years now but I came from a Business Studies undergrad. I did a code bootcamp (depending on who it's with, they can be a really good option) for 4 months before my job. I did apply to like 15 places before I got a job but there is absolutely a market for it and a good number of junior/entry jobs to apply for (at least in Edinburgh).
When does your course start?

Mine starts June 24th and I haven't received any emails telling me to log on to Canvas or anything yet.
Original post by akabayashi
In order to get enrolled on the course you have to pay for the first module which is £650. Once enrolled you get access to the materials, can apply for student card etc. I'm not sure about SFE stuff but it makes sense that finance agencies only pay out once enrolment confirmed. Bit chicken and egg but there you go.

I've enrolled on it as well. Canvas seems good and theres links to a lot of resources for pre course stuff to get you acquainted with Algorithms, Java and fundamentals(how does a computer work, how does the internet work). The resources are a combination of freely available web links and pdfs for books only accessible by authenticating through uni student credentials. Canvas has a pretty nifty Reading List feature with pdfs/ links for recommended reading preloaded.

Won't know more until the course starts but i'm happy with the orientation stuff.
Reply 55
Original post by akabayashi

Thanks for your contribution. Please come back and share any feedback once enrolled in Algorithms and Data Structure.
Original post by bilalashraf
I have enrolled in the 1st module and completed the orientation. Algorithms and Data Structures module will start by teaching about programming (Java) from scratch as the program does not require any prior knowledge about programming and then will move towards algorithms and data structures. This course is like a foundation for the rest of the program. The next module is advanced programming, which will probably focus on programming in depth. You can have a look at the program's website to know the modules that would be offered in the program.

The University has provided resources to better prepare for the programming before it begins, which includes resources about language, Maths and programming skills.

They are using Canvas for online course delivery and It seems OK.

Thanks for your reply. That sounds great :smile:
Original post by elideli
Thanks for your contribution. Please come back and share any feedback once enrolled in Algorithms and Data Structure.

Hey elideli, have you enrolled in that first module to start at the end of April? I think you would also be able to see how it's like at that time right?
Reply 58
Because of some work constraints, I had to delay my enrolment to June/July intake.

Original post by ericchau
Hey elideli, have you enrolled in that first module to start at the end of April? I think you would also be able to see how it's like at that time right?
I don't know if anyone is able to weigh in on this, but what are the chances of continuing on to a PhD in Comp Sci/ML after this course? Anyone here considering that route?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending