The Student Room Group

I cheated, should I tell?

I cheated on my girlfriend at a party. I was extremely drunk and had taken drugs, I ended up having sex with a girl I know but I’m not sure if I should tell my girlfriend because I know it will never happen again and I’m not sure if her knowing is worth all the pain it will cause her. Should I tell her the truth even though it would really destroy her or keep it to myself.

Scroll to see replies

Trust me from my knowledge of people cheating the truth ALWAYS gets out . The thing is ,not to be rude or anything, but if you were truly content in your relationship you would not feel the need to cheat surely ? So maybe try and think is it worth while seeing as you can cheat on her there must be something missing . I’d say maybe tell her bc she may find out anyway and that would be a lot worse but at the end of the day it is up to you .
Reply 2
There’s only 3 people that know.. me , the girl and my friend ( they two are basically in a relationship which makes it even worse) and we all agreed to keep it between us as none of us want anyone to know... I have thought about it and I really don’t think anything is missing in my relationship as I’m really happy I just tend to do such stupid things when I’m drunk.
Original post by danoeellllllllu
Trust me from my knowledge of people cheating the truth ALWAYS gets out . The thing is ,not to be rude or anything, but if you were truly content in your relationship you would not feel the need to cheat surely ? So maybe try and think is it worth while seeing as you can cheat on her there must be something missing . I’d say maybe tell her bc she may find out anyway and that would be a lot worse but at the end of the day it is up to you .
Reply 3
I know what I did was so *****y and wrong, and that it should never of happened, the only reason I’m unsure of telling her is because of the hurt it is going to cause her. It’s not the case of me trying to save myself I know I don’t deserve that.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I cheated on my girlfriend at a party. I was extremely drunk and had taken drugs, I ended up having sex with a girl I know but I’m not sure if I should tell my girlfriend because I know it will never happen again and I’m not sure if her knowing is worth all the pain it will cause her. Should I tell her the truth even though it would really destroy her or keep it to myself.

should probably tell her tbh

most likely more than a few people know about it by now and there's a decent chance of it getting back to her
Honestly mate, don't tell her. There is a chance she will never find out (especially if most at the party were high/drunk) and won't have to go through the emotional pain
But think if it were you in the position (being cheated on ) you would want to know
Honestly mate, don't tell her. There is a chance she will never find out (especially if most at the party were high/drunk) and won't have to go through the emotional pain
Reply 7
But think if it were you in the position (being cheated on ) you would want to know

Yea that’s another reason why I think I should tell her, but is it better not knowing than going through the pain of knowing?
Most people who cheat once get away with it. They do so by keeping quiet about it.

But I'm male so it wouldn't emotionally wreck me

Spoiler

The cheating is not the issue. The first mistake was going to the party where there would be other women of similar age dancing, flirting and all that Jazz.

The second mistake was getting intoxicated which affects your decision making processes.

From then on out, it was already a lost cause, if your brain is not functioning properly, how can you be expected to make the right choice?

I feel for you bro, wrong place wrong time wrong crowed imo.
First of all is really ugly what you did and you should feel guilty about it. Drugs and alcohol are not an excuse for what you did. But i think you should not tell her. Your options are: if you tell her you have 80% chances she will leave you. If you don't, then you always will be afraid that she would find out and then leave you... neither choice is great but... you have brought it upon yourself
It wasn’t me, it was the demon drink!

You know what you’re like when you get drunk and you chose to drink. It was 100% your choice, so stop blaming the drink. What makes you think that you won’t do it again?

I think you should end the relationship for her own good.
Telling her will destroy her. He should definitely leave her if he has even a semblance of decency in him, but what would telling her achieve except destroying her? The only situation I would advise him to tell her is regards to her sexual health.

And yeah, OP you are a **** and people like you make other guys look bad.
It makes me sad to hear that you cheated on her, if you were drunk enough to actually have proper sex then you were sober enough to know what you were doing. That's the honest truth. I get that you feel guilty and that you know what you've done is wrong but I think it's best that you avoid her finding out from someone else and feeling more hurt as opposed to you just owning up to your mistake and trying your best to fix things if she'll still have you. Your relationship is now sitting on a massive lie because you've not told her what you've done.

Find a time to tell her in person when it's just the two of you at home or something.....

I hope it works out fine.
Reply 15
Tell her. I know you're scared about her being upset but she'll be even more upset when she finds out from somebody else. You did something *****y, at least make the right decision now.
Original post by Samsam2019
Telling her will destroy her. He should definitely leave her if he has even a semblance of decency in him, but what would telling her achieve except destroying her? The only situation I would advise him to tell her is regards to her sexual health.

Telling someone that you cheated on them makes it so much easier for them to get over you. They'll understand the truth behind the break-up rather than wondering what they did wrong.
Reply 17

Keep it to yourself, make sure you don't have sti, and remember not to be so stupid again!
Tell her, it needs to come from you that it happened. It's worse if she hears it from someone else- the girl in question may feel really guilty and eventually tell your girlfriend.
At least if she finds out now she is more likely to forgive you and potentially move on, than if she finds out from someone else further down the line
If you want to break up with her, then tell her. If you want to stay together then don't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending