The Student Room Group

George Clooney calls for boycotting Brunei-owned hotels

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Also true. The financial losses the sultan will suffer would probably not be enough of a motivator if he is worth $20 billion. Not to mention, he might delegitimize himself as a ruler in the eyes of his citizens if he revokes the law simply due to the boycott. There is the possibility that the people will be provoked by this issue momentarily then the anger will die down (as it usually does) and the boycotting efforts will almost cease to exist.

Who knows, I still think it's not completely hopeless.
Original post by Molseh
The bloke is worth like $20 Billion, a few less bookings at his hotels won't affect him in the slightest.
The only realistic way for Britain to influence him is to remove the British Army Regiment that is based there to protect him.

Original post by Notoriety
It's a heavily Muslim state. There's a state mufti, they have grand and expensive Mosques everywhere, girls wear headscarves by compulsion. The country is already proven to be willing to lose money for the sake of religion.
(edited 5 years ago)
beheading, people, massacring gays and infidels is a core part of their belief system practised for centuries. Every single law they introduced is backed by passages from "the book".
Original post by Fallacies
In what world is that islamophobic, sir?
Reply 22
It could be the general reading of the Quran but is by no means representative of all the interpretations pursued by all its followers. Many Muslims have spoken out against the idea of the Quran advocating beheadings.

Terrorist groups like ISIS use Quran 8:12 to justify their acts. However, moderate Muslims are dismayed by such fanaticism as a Christian would be to hear of genocide committed in obedience to I Samuel 15:3. Nevertheless, obedience to the Quran is the reason given by the terrorists, and the terror instilled in others by beheading—which is given as the reason for barbaric acts seems to be working. The answer, therefore, is that Quran 8:12 does not necessarily command beheading, but fanatical Muslims are using the words from their Scriptures to justify unspeakable violence and terror.

I will not get into a debate about the ideology of Islam as a whole, but I do believe it is not Islamaphobic as these beliefs do not represent the whole of the Islamic community. Some Muslims have also condemned the laws.

Calling out Islamophobia has been used in PC culture to silence critique of some people's interpretations of the religion. The question of whether this is Islamophobia, in my opinion, is highly irrelevant. Islamophobia or not, people are being stoned to death.
Original post by HumanBrian
beheading, people, massacring gays and infidels is a core part of their belief system practised for centuries. Every single law they introduced is backed by passages from "the book".
(edited 5 years ago)
Calling out Islamophobia has been used in PC culture to silence critique of some people's interpretations of the religion. The question of whether this is Islamophobia, in my opinion, is highly irrelevant. Islamophobia or not, people are being stoned to death.

PROSM
Yes, those beliefs do not necessary represent all Muslims but they do represent a significant number of them, hundreds of millions of people with the same or very similar value system. This is why being gay is not safe in any Muslim country or even in a western country in close proximity to a large muslim community...
It could be the general reading of the Quran but is by no means representative of all the interpretations pursued by all its followers. Many Muslims have spoken out against the idea of the Quran advocating beheadings.

Terrorist groups like ISIS use Quran 8:12 to justify their acts. However, moderate Muslims are dismayed by such fanaticism as a Christian would be to hear of genocide committed in obedience to I Samuel 15:3. Nevertheless, obedience to the Quran is the reason given by the terrorists, and the terror instilled in others by beheading—which is given as the reason for barbaric acts seems to be working. The answer, therefore, is that Quran 8:12 does not command beheading, but fanatical Muslims are using the words from their Scriptures to justify unspeakable violence and terror.

I will not get into a debate about the ideology of Islam as a whole, but I do believe it is not Islamaphobic as these beliefs do not represent the whole of the Islamic community. Some Muslims have also condemned the laws.

This is why being gay is not safe in any Muslim country or even in a western country in close proximity to a large muslim community...

wow, seems like a bit of a stretch...
True, but although he could have said it with the intention of just demonstrating that he has a 'good character' people could benefit from his possibly self-interested acts. As I said celebrities are basically worshipped by so many people. So, I personally do not mind virtue signaling as long as the outcome, in the end, is 'good'.

whenever i see his smug face i want to pour a delicious cup of Nescafé™ down it

Terrorist groups like ISIS use Quran 8:12 to justify their acts. However, moderate Muslims are dismayed by such fanaticism as a Christian would be to hear of genocide committed in obedience to I Samuel 15:3. Nevertheless, obedience to the Quran is the reason given by the terrorists, and the terror instilled in others by beheading—which is given as the reason for barbaric acts seems to be working. The answer, therefore, is that Quran 8:12 does not necessarily command beheading, but fanatical Muslims are using the words from their Scriptures to justify unspeakable violence and terror.

These beliefs do actually represent the Muslim community.The problem is that western Muslims cherry pick which verses they want to follow.Extremists are not extreme.They are merely following the literal words written in the book and not cherry picking.Its not a coincidence that being gay is punished in pretty much all Muslim countries.Even here we have 600 kids being taken out of school because their muslim parents don't want little Moe learning that it's possible to like the same sex.These actions have literally everything to do with Islam.
Really, being publicly gay in Saudi Arabian, Libya, Yemen, Oman, Somalia, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Sudan, Bangladesh... is a safe lifestyle? How about openly rejecting Islam in any of those mentioned?

It's like a week since the public lynch of a trans person by group if Muslims in France.

Original post by Obolinda
wow, seems like a bit of a stretch...
Reply 29
Not only Muslim countries: Putin’s government is openly anti-gay and is discussing another homophobic law, which proposes jailing people for public displays of non-heterosexual orientation or gender identity. A global study found that Honduras had by far the highest numbers of transgender murders relative to its population. But it’s not just trans people who are at risk. After the left-leaning president, Manuel Zelaya, was ousted in 2009, LGBT murders soared; 215 have taken place since the coup.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development-professionals-network/2017/mar/01/where-are-the-most-difficult-places-in-the-world-to-be-gay-or-transgender-lgbt
Really, being publicly gay in Saudi Arabian, Libya, Yemen, Oman, Somalia, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Sudan, Bangladesh... is a safe lifestyle? How about openly rejecting Islam in any of those mentioned?

It's like a week since the public lynch of a trans person by group if Muslims in France.

you said it's unsafe to be gay in a " western country in close proximity to a large Muslim community".

I know hate crimes occur but I didn't realise there was any evidence to suggest that you were significantly more at risk by simple living near a large Muslim community.
In neither of those it is a belief based decision. Honduras has the highest murder rate per capita in the world. that also must result in the highest murder rate in people with blue eyes or trans.. In Russia it is a political stunt that does not really lead anywhere.
Not only Muslim countries: Putin’s government is openly anti-gay and is discussing another homophobic law, which proposes jailing people for public displays of non-heterosexual orientation or gender identity. A global study found that Honduras had by far the highest numbers of transgender murders relative to its population. But it’s not just trans people who are at risk. After the left-leaning president, Manuel Zelaya, was ousted in 2009, LGBT murders soared; 215 have taken place since the coup.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development-professionals-network/2017/mar/01/where-are-the-most-difficult-places-in-the-world-to-be-gay-or-transgender-lgbt
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6890795/French-trans-woman-attacked-Algerian-protest-tells-beating-started-stood-them.html

you said it's unsafe to be gay in a " western country in close proximity to a large Muslim community".

I know hate crimes occur but I didn't realise there was any evidence to suggest that you were significantly more at risk by simple living near a large Muslim community.

ONE hate crime is evidence of an increased risk of homophobic hate crimes by simple living near a large Muslim community?:confused:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODw7o34Vdbk
ONE hate crime is evidence of an increased risk of homophobic hate crimes by simple living near a large Muslim community?:confused:
Reply 35
AJ126
The general reading does actually represent the Muslim community.

To say that a general reading represents the Muslim community is a very erroneous claim. A general reading meaning a particular interpretation of a text does not represent a group of people as a whole (we are talking billions of people). We would instead be talking about the ideology of Islam which in itself is not definitive.

The problem is that western Muslims cherry pick which verses they want to follow. Extremists are not extreme. They are merely following the literal words written in the book and not cherry picking.

Cherry picking is not synonymous to interpreting. Yes, they could be possibly cherry picking verses, but to interpret a text (while it is arguably cherry picking an interpretation) is subjective; as the word interpretation implies. It is just a different way these followers pursue the religion. Christians and Jews interpret texts as well. It's not only Western Muslims, btw. You hear so many Muslim leaders that advocate beheadings, for instance, stating, "terrorists have no religion". I do not believe that terrorists have no religion, but if Muslims leaders are condemning these acts surely this means that not only Western Muslims follow the religion somewhat more morally or interpret it and do not take the general reading. So being Western isn't a definitive criterion. A country's almost immutable outdated laws also don't necessarily represent the mindset of all of its civilians.

Even here we have 600 kids being taken out of school because their Muslim parents don't want little Moe learning that it's possible to like the same sex.These actions have literally everything to do with Islam.

It is undeniable that the general reading poses the risk of the followers of Islam propagating hatred against LGBT individuals and that some Muslims condemn the LGBT community. However, these Muslim parents are not representative of all the Muslims in the world. While come may condemn homosexuality, not all believe that they should be stoned to death, for example, or taken out of schools.
(edited 5 years ago)
You don't like it = not relevant, understand. Good bye.

:rolleyes: bye boo, I provided links that debunked your claims.
Do you think this will make a difference?

The nine hotels owned by Brunei are:

The Dorchester, London
45 Park Lane, London
Coworth Park, UK
The Beverly Hills Hotel, Beverly Hills
Hotel Bel-Air, Los Angeles
Le Meurice, Paris
Hotel Plaza Athenee, Paris
Hotel Eden, Rome
Hotel Principe di Savoia, Milan

"The Brunei-owned luxury hotels facing an international boycott have hidden their social media accounts after backlash over laws in the country were enacted this week making gay sex punishable by death. The hotels, which are operated under the Dorchester Collection brand, have faced a celebrity-led international boycott after implementing the new laws."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/brunei-owned-hotels-hide-social-media-accounts-after-boycott-and-backlash-over-anti-gay-laws/

Many of the people, who can afford to boycott the hotel, are either not on TSR nor do they care about the boycott.

Also, there are many other countries that we do business with that actively kill homosexuals. We sell weapons to Saudi Arabia, despite the fact we know they are openly homophobic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending