The Student Room Group

Which third A Level should I take?

I'm currently planning to take:
Computer Science (OCR)
Art and Design: Graphic Communication (OCR)
and one of
Design Technology: Product Design (OCR) or Media Studies (AQA)

Anyone got any advice on which A Level I should take out of those two? For reference, I've done neither at GCSE and I'm just wondering which of the two is more interesting / preferable. I want to work in the games industry but anything creative would suit me

UPDATE: decided on Product Design, thanks for the feedback! :u:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Im also planning to take computer science a level. You should probally take DT as a third to go with graphic communication
Any idea on what you want to do at uni? (If you want to go)

I think with game design a really important thing is to get experience by working on your own projects.

I read (not sure how legit this is) that the guy who designed the Fallout series got a History degree, so it seems like an industry willing to take a range of people
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by waterbin
Im also planning to take computer science a level. You should probally take DT as a third to go with graphic communication

i'm leaning towards DT tbh because it's more maths-y and media is more english-y, but i'm definitely better at maths - english lit is not good for me lol
Reply 4
I think I’d go with product design if I was you mate! Do you have a careers advisor at school?
Original post by joe_c.x
I'm currently planning to take:
Computer Science (OCR)
Art and Design: Graphic Communication (OCR)
and one of
Design Technology: Product Design (OCR) or Media Studies (AQA)

Anyone got any advice on which A Level I should take out of those two? For reference, I've done neither at GCSE and I'm just wondering which of the two is more interesting / preferable. I want to work in the games industry but anything creative would suit me.
Original post by SuperHuman98
Any idea on what you want to do at uni? (If you want to go)

I think with game design a really important thing is to get experience by working on your own projects.

I read that the guy who designed the Fallout series got a History degree, so it seems like an industry willing to take a range of people

i deffo want to go to uni, it seems like a good experience. i'm pretty certain on game design but things could change. about the industry taking a variety of people, most junior game designer jobs advertised ask for a bachelor's degree in a 'relevant field' so maybe when Fallout was designed, or maybe the guy just had an exceptional edge over the other candidates or something.
Original post by georgem93
I think I’d go with product design if I was you mate! Do you have a careers advisor at school?

yeah but not being rude the careers advisor really isn't helpful kinda just gives us a link to a very dated job database like ok i could've done that myself but whatever. i'm leaning towards product design tbh as im better at maths than english and product is definitely the more maths-y of the two

Quick Reply

Latest