username4368778
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I'm currently planning to take:
Computer Science (OCR)
Art and Design: Graphic Communication (OCR)
and one of
Design Technology: Product Design (OCR) or Media Studies (AQA)

Anyone got any advice on which A Level I should take out of those two? For reference, I've done neither at GCSE and I'm just wondering which of the two is more interesting / preferable. I want to work in the games industry but anything creative would suit me

UPDATE: decided on Product Design, thanks for the feedback!
Last edited by username4368778; 10 months ago
waterbin
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Im also planning to take computer science a level. You should probally take DT as a third to go with graphic communication
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Any idea on what you want to do at uni? (If you want to go)

I think with game design a really important thing is to get experience by working on your own projects.

I read (not sure how legit this is) that the guy who designed the Fallout series got a History degree, so it seems like an industry willing to take a range of people
Last edited by SuperHuman98; 10 months ago
username4368778
Rep:
?
(Original post by waterbin)
Im also planning to take computer science a level. You should probally take DT as a third to go with graphic communication
i'm leaning towards DT tbh because it's more maths-y and media is more english-y, but i'm definitely better at maths - english lit is not good for me lol
georgem93
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I think I’d go with product design if I was you mate! Do you have a careers advisor at school?
(Original post by joe_c.x)
I'm currently planning to take:
Computer Science (OCR)
Art and Design: Graphic Communication (OCR)
and one of
Design Technology: Product Design (OCR) or Media Studies (AQA)

Anyone got any advice on which A Level I should take out of those two? For reference, I've done neither at GCSE and I'm just wondering which of the two is more interesting / preferable. I want to work in the games industry but anything creative would suit me.
username4368778
Rep:
?
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
Any idea on what you want to do at uni? (If you want to go)

I think with game design a really important thing is to get experience by working on your own projects.

I read that the guy who designed the Fallout series got a History degree, so it seems like an industry willing to take a range of people
i deffo want to go to uni, it seems like a good experience. i'm pretty certain on game design but things could change. about the industry taking a variety of people, most junior game designer jobs advertised ask for a bachelor's degree in a 'relevant field' so maybe when Fallout was designed, or maybe the guy just had an exceptional edge over the other candidates or something.
username4368778
Rep:
?
(Original post by georgem93)
I think I’d go with product design if I was you mate! Do you have a careers advisor at school?
yeah but not being rude the careers advisor really isn't helpful kinda just gives us a link to a very dated job database like ok i could've done that myself but whatever. i'm leaning towards product design tbh as im better at maths than english and product is definitely the more maths-y of the two
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (297)
60.49%
Yes- I don't like it (24)
4.89%
No- I want it (134)
27.29%
No- I don't want it (36)
7.33%

Watched Threads