The Student Room Group

Jobs that i can get with an Economics degree?

I want to study economics at university but unlike most people i dont want to go into IB. What other career options are there with an economics degree?
I do economics. You can do loads of things, with economics, that's why i chose the degree, i go into finance, accounting, journalism, banking, stockbroking, management, Actuary, risk, consultant etc

within economics there are loads of parts i love behavioral economics, which is about analyzing why consumers make the decisions that they do, its a bit like psychology, with this i can do all the jobs above, your degree, makes it easier to go into a job within economics, but you don't to pursue a career in economics if you don't want to as the degree can be applied to many subjects in different ways, like with the right choices of modules your degree can relate to Maths, Business studies, ICT, History, Future Developments, politics, you can do loads of things, you just have to find the modules you like, it took me until third year to find behavioral economics, but now i do want to pursue it further.
Original post by Cheesybread
I do economics. You can do loads of things, with economics, that's why i chose the degree, i go into finance, accounting, journalism, banking, stockbroking, management, Actuary, risk, consultant etc

within economics there are loads of parts i love behavioral economics, which is about analyzing why consumers make the decisions that they do, its a bit like psychology, with this i can do all the jobs above, your degree, makes it easier to go into a job within economics, but you don't to pursue a career in economics if you don't want to as the degree can be applied to many subjects in different ways, like with the right choices of modules your degree can relate to Maths, Business studies, ICT, History, Future Developments, politics, you can do loads of things, you just have to find the modules you like, it took me until third year to find behavioral economics, but now i do want to pursue it further.

Thanks for the reply, I enjoy economics at a-level but it seems a lot of people seem to go into investment banking which im not sure i want to do. I guess jobs in finance are very corporate which im not sure i will enjoy and im completely reconsidering my career option to something like software engineering where it's different.
That's great, try and get some experience in there, (don't do it for money), just go there for a few weeks see if you actually like it and if you do great and if you don't that's find too, sometimes it takes time for the right job to find you
Original post by The Big
Thanks for the reply, I enjoy economics at a-level but it seems a lot of people seem to go into investment banking which im not sure i want to do. I guess jobs in finance are very corporate which im not sure i will enjoy and im completely reconsidering my career option to something like software engineering where it's different.
Original post by The Big
I want to study economics at university but unlike most people i dont want to go into IB. What other career options are there with an economics degree?

Have you thought about actually becoming an economist (not in a bank) for either private firms or government institutions like the BoE, Treasury, ONS, OBR, IFS and ECB?
Original post by BenRyan99
Have you thought about actually becoming an economist (not in a bank) for either private firms or government institutions like the BoE, Treasury, ONS, OBR, IFS and ECB?

Ive only been studying economics for one year but recently ive been searching for different career options and economist is one of them, im trying to find relevant experience in order to make a decision. Thanks for the help though
Original post by Cheesybread
That's great, try and get some experience in there, (don't do it for money), just go there for a few weeks see if you actually like it and if you do great and if you don't that's find too, sometimes it takes time for the right job to find you

I see you mentioned that you do economics, Did you do it at A-Level because ive heard a few people say that it's very different to the A-Level course.
A Level and as a Degree. In first year as in the majorty of uni's it can be quite similair. It is still very much based around, demand/supply and aggregate demand/supply. You only look in those diagrams in more detail, as to how they come about. Not that hard if you understand A Level economics well.
After 1st year than it begins to differ and open up a lot more, that's when you can begin to choose the areas that you like. And it becomes a lot based around formulas and maths. A lot of formulas in Macro, but you can keep this toned down if you don't like maths by doing a BA, or by choosing the non-mathsy modules. But if you like economics at A Level, you will more likely than not like it at uni.
Original post by The Big
I see you mentioned that you do economics, Did you do it at A-Level because ive heard a few people say that it's very different to the A-Level course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending