The Student Room Group

Moving from a silver circle to a US firm?

Am
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I trained at one of the firms you mentioned and found it pretty easy to secure interviews with US firms around qualification time as the market was pretty buoyant and I qualified into a practice area that was in demand.

The easiest time to move as an associate is about 2-5 PQE when recruiters message you constantly. Though it is possible to move as an NQ - the market right now seems fairly buoyant.

I started thinking about a possible move before qualification, though I did not end up actually moving until a few years post-qualification. Though I ended up moving to a UK firm rather than a US firm.

There is no harm in talking to recruiters about what your options are and what roles are available. I would suggest just responding to a few ads on places like the jobs board on thelawyer.com and going from there. The recruitment market is very opaque, they don't give many details in public ads - you only really get the low-down when you actually speak to recruiters.

US firms have a certain stereotype, but there are a lot of US firms in the market now and many of them are quite different. You still get the very high paying PE shops where you get beasted to within an inch of your life (e.g. Weil, K&E). But you also firms with a more reasonable approach to work life balance albeit with lower salaries. And you get US firms (e.g. places like Reed Smith) which sit somewhere in the middle and I imagine have a similar approach to places like Ashurst and HSF.

K&E often seems to be recruiting - they seem to have a high turnover.

The area in which you qualify is critical if you want to move to a US firm. If you have somewhere like Weil or K&E in mind, their practice areas are extremely focussed on PE - so they have corporate/banking/competition capability, but don't have English law capability in areas like real estate or IP, so you couldn't move to those firms if you qualified into those areas.
Reply 2
am
(edited 4 years ago)
It sounds like you may be putting far too much weight on the "Magic Circle" label. The Magic Circle was a fairly random label that was made up off the cuff by a legal journalist a few decades ago and stuck because it sounds cool.

There is very little difference between the large international Magic Circle firms and HSF/Ashurst. They both have a good argument to be called Magic Circle firms. HSF calls itself a Magic Circle firm.

There would be more of a difference in terms of the trainee experience between training at say a UK only firm like Slaughter & May as compared to an international firm like A&O, than there would be between A&O and HSF/Ashurst (all of which are top level international firms).
(edited 5 years ago)
No worries, glad its helpful.

I would say there is not much difference in terms of reputation, opportunities, training, type of clients etc. between the top SC firms like HSF and Ashurst and the MC.

Firms like MacFarlanes and Travers Smith are also great, and also considered "top" firms, but don't have anything like the network of international offices that firms like CC/A&O/Links/HSF have, so training there can be a slightly different proposition, particularly if you would like to have the opportunity to spend some time working overseas. Slaughters is the "odd one out" in the Magic Circle as they do not have a big network of international offices.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by jacketpotato
No worries, glad its helpful.

I would say there is not much difference in terms of reputation, opportunities, training, type of clients etc. between the top SC firms like HSF and Ashurst and the MC.

Firms like MacFarlanes and Travers Smith are also great, and also considered "top" firms, but don't have anything like the network of international offices that firms like CC/A&O/Links/HSF have, so training there can be a slightly different proposition, particularly if you would like to have the opportunity to spend some time working overseas. Slaughters is the "odd one out" in the Magic Circle as they do not have a big network of international offices.

How would you rate firms like Clyde & Co. or CMS in terms of level of training and experience gained? How hard do they work you? Are their exit opportunities very good?
Completely possible but will be easier at 1-3 PQE (generally one of the easiest points to make any move), and if you do private equity / funds / leveraged finance (and other areas like arbitration, you can do your own research on this), which are the main focuses for the US firms in London.
Original post by ProfHealth
How would you rate firms like Clyde & Co. or CMS in terms of level of training and experience gained? How hard do they work you? Are their exit opportunities very good?

Umm not sure about what it's like on the ground but those are firmly 'mid-market' firms

Broadly speaking of the UK firms in my opinion (though there are nuances depending on practice area, e.g Herbert Smith would be top tier for litigation)

Tier 1 - Magic Circle
Tier 2 - Herbert Smith, Ashurst, NRF, Macfarlanes
Tier 3 - Hogan Lovells, BCLP, Travers
Tier 4 - CMS, Simmons, Bakers, Taylor Wessing
Tier 5 - Clyde, Addleshaws, Eversheds, Dentons, DLA and others
Original post by jacketpotato
There is very little difference between the large international Magic Circle firms and HSF/Ashurst. They both have a good argument to be called Magic Circle firms. HSF calls itself a Magic Circle firm.

You guys both seem to know your stuff so I had a few random queries you might be able to share some insight into if you don't mind.

Firstly, how common is it to move from SC to MC post-NQ? (I get your point and agree that the boundaries between MC/SC firms are ambiguous at best, but I was wondering if the reason for SC NQs/PQs being able to move to US firms is the US firms' extremely high turnover of associates - given the MC firms have a much lower turnover does this translate into SC NQs/PQs being less likely/able to move to MC firms?)

Secondly, do you know anything about how common/possible it is to at least semi-permanently move to another jurisdiction (either within the same firm or otherwise)?

Thanks
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Palmyra
You guys both seem to know your stuff so I had a few random queries you might be able to share some insight into if you don't mind.

Firstly, how common is it to move from SC to MC post-NQ? (I get your point and agree that the boundaries between MC/SC firms are ambiguous at best, but I was wondering if the reason for SC NQs/PQs being able to move to US firms is the US firms' extremely high turnover of associates - given the MC firms have a much lower turnover does this effect how feasible/common it is for SC NQs/PQs to move to MC firms?)

Secondly, do you know anything about how common/possible it is to at least semi-permanently move to another jurisdiction (either within the same firm or otherwise)?

Thanks

It's not that hard to move SC (especially HSF or Ashurst type) to MC at 1-3 PQE provided you can pass an interview, the drop out rate is immense that that level making it a lot less competitive than getting a TC or an NQ place. The MC has an extremely high turnover, no idea where you got a contrary idea from.

Not that hard to move to another jurisdiction either. Middle East has a constant churn, as do offshore firms and Hong Kong/Singapore. Some practice areas will facilitate this more than others, e.g. funds, general corporate, banking
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by The West Wing
It's not that hard to move SC (especially HSF or Ashurst type) to MC at 1-3 PQE provided you can pass an interview, the drop out rate is immense that that level making it a lot less competitive than getting a TC or an NQ place. The MC has an extremely high turnover, no idea where you got a contrary idea from.

Not that hard to move to another jurisdiction either. Middle East has a constant churn, as do offshore firms and Hong Kong/Singapore. Some practice areas will facilitate this more than others, e.g. funds, general corporate, banking

I assumed the MC has a lower turnover rate than US firms (as opposed to just a low turnover rate), hence I was wondering if they would be as open to SCs transferring to them as US firms (apparently) are. Given the US NQ intakes will be around 3-20 compared to 40-80 for MC firms the turnover % at US firms can obviously be much higher (that was my logic at least).

Good to know about the other jurisdictions (I assume you mean within the same firm), thanks. Would those be just short-term moves or more permanent moves if that is what someone wants?

NB. I definitely wouldn't classify HL as below Ashurst/NRF - what's the basis for that? My perception was HSF and HL as the top of the 'SC' hierarchy (to the extent a hierarchy can be said to exist and generalised in such a way).
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Palmyra
I assumed the MC has a lower turnover rate than US firms (as opposed to just a low turnover rate), hence I was wondering if they would be as open to SCs transferring to them as US firms (apparently) are. Given the US NQ intakes will be around 3-20 compared to 40-80 for MC firms the turnover % at US firms can obviously be much higher (that was my logic at least).

Good to know about the other jurisdictions - I assume you mean within the same firm. Would those be just short-term moves or more permanent moves if that is what someone wants?

NB. I definitely wouldn't classify HL as below Ashurst/NRF - what's the basis for that? My perception was HSF and HL as the top of the 'SC' hierarchy (to the extent a hierarchy can be said to exist and generalised in such a way).

If you are 1-3 PQE and trained at a silver circle firm and were kept on, and have a pulse you can probably get into a magic circle firm if that's what you truly want. In reality I don't think many people try and make that move (as the on the ground experience isn't going to be that difference and the pay is only a tiny amount higher)

It's not that hard to move within the same firm if you insist on it and they want to keep you, either short term or permanently. If you want to move laterally you'll have to demonstrate a commitment to the jurisdiction you are moving to.

HL is not well respected for corporate or finance work. I've worked at two magic circle firms across different practice areas and hardly come across them - much less than the four I listed in the tier above.
Can definitely see the argument for Travers as tier 2 but I think you'd struggle to make the case for HL

Have a glance at Legal 500 - mostly tier 3 and below other than for litigation https://www.legal500.com/firms/2116-hogan-lovells-us-llp/334-london-england

Compare against CC for example - nearly all tier 1 and 2 https://www.legal500.com/firms/679/offices/104
(edited 5 years ago)
If you are 1-3 PQE and trained at a silver circle firm and were kept on, and have a pulse you can probably get into a magic circle firm if that's what you truly want. In reality I don't think many people try and make that move (as the on the ground experience isn't going to be that difference and the pay is only a tiny amount higher)

It's not that hard to move within the same firm if you insist on it and they want to keep you, either short term or permanently. If you want to move laterally you'll have to demonstrate a commitment to the jurisdiction you are moving to.

HL is not well respected for corporate or finance work. I've worked at two magic circle firms across different practice areas and hardly come across them - much less than the four I listed in the tier above.

I also see the appeal of staying at a SC firm with a good balance between salary-work life, so I can understand that.

What about those trainees at SC firms (such as HSF/HL/NRF/etc) who don't get retained PQ - how are their prospects and do they tend to move to other SC firms or can they also move to MC/US firms?

I take your point on corporate and finance but HL are very strong on antitrust, public law, IP and litigation - so I still think they'd be tier 2 on your hierarchy (not that it matters).
Original post by Palmyra
I also see the appeal of staying at a SC firm with a good balance between salary-work life, so I can understand that.

What about those trainees at SC firms (such as HSF/HL/NRF/etc) who don't get retained PQ - how are their prospects and do they tend to move to other SC firms or can they also move to MC/US firms?

I take your point on corporate and finance but HL are very strong on antitrust, public law, IP and litigation - so I still think they'd be tier 2 on your hierarchy (not that it matters).

Unlikely to go from SC to MC at NQ level if you weren't kept on. Don't think I've ever seen that happen. MC don't tend to recruit much laterally for NQs unless something has gone wrong internally but do recruit laterally from 1 PQE onwards. You'd probably have a chance at the US firms that don't have trainees of their own or going down a tier but then you'd compete with that firm's own trainees (who unless they're truly **** will have priority over laterals)
Unlikely to go from SC to MC at NQ level if you weren't kept on. Don't think I've ever seen that happen. MC don't tend to recruit much laterally for NQs unless something has gone wrong internally but do recruit laterally from 1 PQE onwards. You'd probably have a chance at the US firms that don't have trainees of their own or going down a tier but then you'd compete with that firm's own trainees (who unless they're truly **** will have priority over laterals)

So what do all the non-retained SC trainees do (given retention rates of 70-90% that's not a unsubstantial number of trainees)?
Original post by Palmyra
So what do all the non-retained SC trainees do (given retention rates of 70-90% that's not a unsubstantial number of trainees)?

My magic circle intake had quite a low retention (below 80%) and the people that weren't kept on went to US firms, lower tier firms, in house, to law firms from their home countries or left law completely (i.e. the full spectrum of available options).
My magic circle intake had quite a low retention (below 80%) and the people that weren't kept on went to US firms, lower tier firms, in house, to law firms from their home countries or left law completely (i.e. the full spectrum of available options).

Cheers, be interesting to see how/if that varies for SC trainees (I'd guess it's pretty similar, but with fewer moving up to US/MC firms and more moving across the SC and 'down').
Original post by Palmyra
Cheers, be interesting to see how/if that varies for SC trainees (I'd guess it's pretty similar, but with fewer moving up to US/MC firms and more moving across the SC and 'down').

To be honest the people that weren't kept on are probably having some of the best lives of my intake at the moment (definitely compared to the people I know still slogging it out at that firm) so I wouldn't worry about it.
Original post by Palmyra
Firstly, how common is it to move from SC to MC post-NQ? (I get your point and agree that the boundaries between MC/SC firms are ambiguous at best, but I was wondering if the reason for SC NQs/PQs being able to move to US firms is the US firms' extremely high turnover of associates - given the MC firms have a much lower turnover does this translate into SC NQs/PQs being less likely/able to move to MC firms?)

Thanks

The premise of your question is not really true. The MC firms also have an extremely high turnover of associates. Most of the trainee intake will have left by the time people get to around 2-3PQE. A&O and CC have been placing ads to recruit 2-5 PQE corporate lawyers for many months now. It is entirely common and not difficult to move from SC to MC.

It is very easy to move to certain jurisdictions (BVI, Cayman, UAE, to an extent Singapore) if you qualify into an international practice area such as finance, corporate or international arbitration. It is much more difficult to work overseas if you qualify into a domestic focussed practice area such as employment or real estate. It is also much more difficult to move to other jurisdictions (though there are exceptions - e.g. international arbitration in Paris, competition law in Brussels are common enough).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending