The Student Room Group

Higher Critical Essay Tips

Let's just say I can't, for the life of me, write critical essays in timed conditions at all. Give me a few hours and I'm fine, but in an exam it takes me an hour to write 1 paragraph. In nat 5 I basically re-wrote an essay (not initially written in timed conditions) I had partially memorised because the question was so similar, and that's probably the only reason I managed to scrape an A.

Higher is a fair bit harder than that. I'm predicted a C, which tbh I think is an.... optimistic prediction.

My teacher is not the most helpful. Her advice to me was "practice writing essays in timed conditions" which isn't particularly useful when you don't even know where to start.

wat do?

oh and I'm doing the godfather (film) for my essay
(edited 5 years ago)
You got to pick the Godfather??? This is for English I'm guessing, right? What I'm studying may be a bit different from what you are studying, but I think these tips still apply!

Have you asked your teacher if you can use one of the school's laptops to write your English essay? You don't even actually need to have extra time as it turns out, only for your writing to be extremely slow or illegible when writing under short periods of time.

If you want to learn how to properly structure your essay, you need to have proper knowledge of the media source. I would advise you to watch The Godfather again or read the book depending on which you are studying. Make sure you have a proper bank of quotes, scene evaluations and character evaluations. This will really help you to create anything worthwhile, even if you have no idea how to structure the essay. Then, I would advise you to go on the SQA website and attempt any past paper. Complete it under timed conditions. This will show you how prepared you are. Read over your essay, and then take a red pen or any other colour pen, and add any enhanced vocabulary or points. This will show you what you could have done better. I will also tell you not to watch the movie because you have to but watch it for enjoyment. If you appreciate the movie, you will find it easier in the exam to bring up key information.

In the end, you should just relax because if you organise your materials, you will do well in the exam.

Original post by A1renegade
Let's just say I can't, for the life of me, write critical essays in timed conditions at all. Give me a few hours and I'm fine, but in an exam it takes me an hour to write 1 paragraph. In nat 5 I basically re-wrote an essay (not initially written in timed conditions) I had partially memorised because the question was so similar, and that's probably the only reason I managed to scrape an A.

Higher is a fair bit harder than that. I'm predicted a C, which tbh I think is an.... optimistic prediction.

My teacher is not the most helpful. Her advice to me was "practice writing essays in timed conditions" which isn't particularly useful when you don't even know where to start.

wat do?

oh and I'm doing the godfather (film) for my essay
Reply 2
Original post by Gatonolixo
You got to pick the Godfather??? This is for English I'm guessing, right? What I'm studying may be a bit different from what you are studying, but I think these tips still apply!

Have you asked your teacher if you can use one of the school's laptops to write your English essay? You don't even actually need to have extra time as it turns out, only for your writing to be extremely slow or illegible when writing under short periods of time.

If you want to learn how to properly structure your essay, you need to have proper knowledge of the media source. I would advise you to watch The Godfather again or read the book depending on which you are studying. Make sure you have a proper bank of quotes, scene evaluations and character evaluations. This will really help you to create anything worthwhile, even if you have no idea how to structure the essay. Then, I would advise you to go on the SQA website and attempt any past paper. Complete it under timed conditions. This will show you how prepared you are. Read over your essay, and then take a red pen or any other colour pen, and add any enhanced vocabulary or points. This will show you what you could have done better. I will also tell you not to watch the movie because you have to but watch it for enjoyment. If you appreciate the movie, you will find it easier in the exam to bring up key information.

In the end, you should just relax because if you organise your materials, you will do well in the exam.

It was my teacher who chose the film, not me.

It's not my writing speed that's the problem, I can physically write fast enough. I just get stuck on the whole "what to write" thing. I have ideas in my head on what to write, but I just can't put them together on the page to form coherent sentences/paragraphs. Like, I just can't find the words to say things. It's really frustrating since I know I am capable of doing it. I never had this problem when I was writing essays in history. It also doesn't help that I just kinda forget what happens in the movie after I've watched it. At this point, I don't really think I have enough time to rewatch the movie and memorise what happens in it.
Original post by A1renegade
It was my teacher who chose the film, not me.

It's not my writing speed that's the problem, I can physically write fast enough. I just get stuck on the whole "what to write" thing. I have ideas in my head on what to write, but I just can't put them together on the page to form coherent sentences/paragraphs. Like, I just can't find the words to say things. It's really frustrating since I know I am capable of doing it. I never had this problem when I was writing essays in history. It also doesn't help that I just kinda forget what happens in the movie after I've watched it. At this point, I don't really think I have enough time to rewatch the movie and memorise what happens in it.

I'm also doing higher english and I understand what you mean by not knowing what to write and it is frustrating. You don't have to completely memorise absolutely everything that happens, as you don't re-tell the story in the essay. Make sure you are able to think of quotes (my teacher said that 15 is enough, but they don't have to be long) and link it to the main themes in the film and the question. To help you revise, before you do an essay you should write topic sentences (the sentence at the start of each paragraph that introduces the topic) and this helps to break it up a bit as you will know what to write for each paragraph. When doing each paragraph I think to myself: topic sentence, quote, connotations, relate to question, theme. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by username4237692
I'm also doing higher english and I understand what you mean by not knowing what to write and it is frustrating. You don't have to completely memorise absolutely everything that happens, as you don't re-tell the story in the essay. Make sure you are able to think of quotes (my teacher said that 15 is enough, but they don't have to be long) and link it to the main themes in the film and the question. To help you revise, before you do an essay you should write topic sentences (the sentence at the start of each paragraph that introduces the topic) and this helps to break it up a bit as you will know what to write for each paragraph. When doing each paragraph I think to myself: topic sentence, quote, connotations, relate to question, theme. Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you, very useful information)
This is what I did and it got me a welcome, but unexpected 17/20 for my Higher English critical essay, but it was a lot of hard work as I am not a natural at English. I am so glad I never need to study it again!

I started by writing some essay plans. You should be familiar and comfortable with the structure of a critical essay -

Introduction
4-5 paragraphs
Conclusion

Your introduction you can write and memorise most of it for any question you get, and then you only need to adapt a line or two to the question.

For the 4-5 paragraphs each should be structured using PEAR which you should have learned in NAT5.

Pick out some good flexible quotes for theme, 4-6 should do, and write an paragraph plan for each. You then need to learn to take your quotes and analysis and write the PEAR adapting the last part of each paragraph to relate back to the question.

Conclusion, again, write a plan for theme that you can use and adapt it to the question.

Practise a couple of theme questions from past papers using your plan and untimed to get the feel of it and practise at adapting to the question. Hopefully you will be able to use at least 4 of your planned paragraphs in the essay. If not review your paragraphs and perhaps pick a different quote.

Then memorise and practise without the plan.

Repeat for setting and character essays.

Don't use an essay writing service, an prewritten essay is no good to you, you need a flexible plan and to practise adapting your plan to the question you get.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending