The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Chemistry 7405 - Paper 1 (Inorganic & Physical Chem) - 04th June 2019

This poll is closed

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive9%
The paper was reasonable32%
Not feeling great about that exam...34%
It was TERRIBLE26%
Total votes: 2939
AQA A-level Chemistry 7405 - Paper 1 - 04th June

Exam technique, night before breakdowns and discussion regarding this exam... It's all here :gthumb: Feel free to add resources to the thread as well as anything that may be helpful to others :smartass:

This thread covers the following papers:

7405 Inorganic and Physical Chemistry 2h 04 June 2019 pm

:rave:

The official specification: https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/chemistry/specifications/AQA-7404-7405-SP-2015.PDF

Spoiler

Specimen and past papers:
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/as-and-a-level/chemistry-7404-7405/assessment-resources

:goodluck:

(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Any revision tips.
Reply 2
do a past paper, see what you get wrong and try figure out whether there's a fundamental misconception or if you don't get it then revise that topic. Do another past paper and keep doing the same till you're getting the top marks you can :smile:
Original post by nemo25
Any revision tips.
im dreading the chemistry exams this year. Been getting D's in every practise/mock exam i do. I just know im going to fail horrendously :'(
Original post by AlmostUniStudent
im dreading the chemistry exams this year. Been getting D's in every practise/mock exam i do. I just know im going to fail horrendously :'(

Whether you think you're gonna fail or you're gonna turn it around and get a good grade....you're right.

Up to you ma friend
Reply 5
Original post by AlmostUniStudent

You've recognised a possible weakness. You're going to work hard. You're going to smash it! :rave:

:goodluck:
Reply 6
4114 8847 5016 1198 is the code for an online CGP A level complete revision guide if anyone wants it, i got the physical copy so never gonna use the online one
Reply 7
Hey can you guys tell me if I need to memorize the colour change during ligand substitution? I only know the hexa aqa ions colours when reacted with a base, and I only know the colour of vanadium in it's different oxidation states.
Reply 8
Yeah, you do you need to know the colour changes for Co, Cu, Fe2+/3+ and Al in OH-, NH3 and INXS, CaCO3 and Cl.
Hope that helps
Original post by smaiu
Hey can you guys tell me if I need to memorize the colour change during ligand substitution? I only know the hexa aqa ions colours when reacted with a base, and I only know the colour of vanadium in it's different oxidation states.
Original post by jb2510
Yeah, you do you need to know the colour changes for Co, Cu, Fe2+/3+ and Al in OH-, NH3 and INXS, CaCO3 and Cl.
Hope that helps

don't forget chromium as well
Reply 10
I'm ****ed lmao. Do i only need to know about cobalt when it goes through ligand substitution?
Reply 11
guys, we've been saved I found this on student room while browsing, only need to memorize these colours :biggrin: https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/chemistry/AQA-7405-REACTIONS-OF-METAL-IONS.PDF
Reply 12
thanks for the reminder
Original post by Trapmoneybenny
don't forget chromium as well
Where in the spec does it say to learn chromium reactions?
Original post by deathnote123
Where in the spec does it say to learn chromium reactions?

I dont think we have to, pretty sure it was old spec
Hmm I hope not. I just know that in the practical 11 you’ve gotta know about its colour in aqueous solution, NaOH, Na2CO3 etc.......
Oh and I definitely know cobalt is not in the spec anymore
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by smaiu
guys, we've been saved I found this on student room while browsing, only need to memorize these colours :biggrin: https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/chemistry/AQA-7405-REACTIONS-OF-METAL-IONS.PDF

That is only the metal-aqua ions you need to know about the variable oxidation states and the colours of Ti,V,Cr,Mn,Fe,Co,Ni,Cu in the transition metal topic, you also need to know that they are formed by the excitation of electrons into higher energy shells and as they de excite they release a photon (wavelength) of a certain colour and that is how the colours are formed. Hope this helps
Reply 17
No way in hell that is true, I know we have to know about vanadium, and the other **** you said, but no way in hell we have to learn about Ti, Co, Ni, and Cr. Where does it say it in the spec
Original post by AlistairB19
That is only the metal-aqua ions you need to know about the variable oxidation states and the colours of Ti,V,Cr,Mn,Fe,Co,Ni,Cu in the transition metal topic, you also need to know that they are formed by the excitation of electrons into higher energy shells and as they de excite they release a photon (wavelength) of a certain colour and that is how the colours are formed. Hope this helps
Original post by smaiu
No way in hell that is true, I know we have to know about vanadium, and the other **** you said, but no way in hell we have to learn about Ti, Co, Ni, and Cr. Where does it say it in the spec

You understand that they often go beyond the spec right?

I mean cobalt and chromium aren't in your book for nothing. Titanium and nickel its just their catalytic activity you need to know
Reply 19
Dude all I'm saying is we don't need to learn colours of those irrelavant elements. You may be right about Cr, as it is an important atom.
Original post by Trapmoneybenny
You understand that they often go beyond the spec right?

I mean cobalt and chromium aren't in your book for nothing. Titanium and nickel its just their catalytic activity you need to know

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending