The Student Room Group

Whats a good game to play 2 player?

Hey looking for recommendations for some 2 player split screen games for me and my husband to play together. Either on PS4, Xbox One, or Nintendo switch :smile:

At the moment we are just working our way through the lego games x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Portal 2 if you want a team builder, Mario (Bros or Cart) if you want some light fun, Overcooked if you want to strangle the other for getting in your way
Original post by Joe_01
Portal 2 if you want a team builder, Mario (Bros or Cart) if you want some light fun, Overcooked if you want to strangle the other for getting in your way

Thanks, aloways been interested in portal after playing the lego dimensions expansion version of it. Overcooked omg is amazing we have completed 1 and 2 they are so funny!
Reply 3
Original post by CrazyKittenLady
Hey looking for recommendations for some 2 player split screen games for me and my husband to play together. Either on PS4, Xbox One, or Nintendo switch :smile:

At the moment we are just working our way through the lego games x

Hi! Me and my partner were about to try out Degrees of Separation. One plays as cold icy guy and other as fire hot girl and you are so close but still two worlds apart kind of a puzzly platformer. (It was designed with couples in mind, even though you can single player too)
maxresdefault.jpg

Tbh this is a great thread to pop up because we are looking for games too. I'm normally a PC player (Console when younger) but we just got a PS4 because my girlfriend prefers controllers and sitting on couch :smile: So we are looking for 2 player games too :h:
(edited 5 years ago)
The Portal 2 co-op is very good, and I'd definitely recommend it. Brothers: Tale of Two Sons (on xbox live arcade and possibly elsewhere - it was originally on xbox 360 although I'm pretty sure they ported it to the XB1) is an interesting co-op (and single player) game which has a very charming and thoughtful story and world. and interesting control mechanics.

Your best bet in general is probably checking out Switch games though, since Nintendo tends to encourage games with that kind of gameplay and actually has some support for splitscreen formats etc. The major developers for XB1 and PS4 have largely shifted towards "games as service" formats which tends to exclusively cater to single person online experiences, so unless you have two consoles and sets of screens you end up pretty limited there. For those consoles you really have to look at "indie" releases and such more than major studio stuff these days, unfortunately.
Seconding overcooked. Unravel 2 is a pretty cool puzzle platformer that enables multiplayer.
My husband to play together.

Awwwwwwww :colondollar:
Zombies mode on Call of Duty is great fun on splitscreen. Suppose a good starting point on PS4 or Xbox One would be to buy the Zombies Chronicles Edition of Black Ops 3, the maps on that DLC are remastered versions of maps from older games and are pretty straightforward. The newer maps are a lot more complex.
Smash
Depends on the genre really. A few titles spring to mind although most are getting old now.

Puzzle/Platformer:

Little Big Planet

Portal 2

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes

Shooter:

Halo series

Borderlands

Left 4 Dead

Gears of War

Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (The old one. Galactic conquest was the best game-mode.)

RPG:

Divinity: Original Sin 2

Hack'n'Slash:

Castle Crashers

Stealth:

Splinter Cell: Conviction.

If you're not yet sold on Portal 2 this might help:

(edited 5 years ago)
A Way Out

One of the best coop games I've played in a while, it has a good story and is visually stunning.
Original post by Kraggor
Hi! Me and my partner were about to try out Degrees of Separation. One plays as cold icy guy and other as fire hot girl and you are so close but still two worlds apart kind of a puzzly platformer. (It was designed with couples in mind, even though you can single player too)
maxresdefault.jpg

Tbh this is a great thread to pop up because we are looking for games too. I'm normally a PC player (Console when younger) but we just got a PS4 because my girlfriend prefers controllers and sitting on couch :smile: So we are looking for 2 player games too :h:

Sounds like a rip off version of Fireboy and Watergirl with better graphics and the gender roles swapped... O_o
Original post by Kraggor
maxresdefault.jpg

Yay were on the same page! Why did you decide to not try out Degrees of Separation ?

Original post by artful_lounger
The Portal 2 co-op is very good, and I'd definitely recommend it. Brothers: Tale of Two Sons (on xbox live arcade and possibly elsewhere - it was originally on xbox 360 although I'm pretty sure they ported it to the XB1) is an interesting co-op (and single player) game which has a very charming and thoughtful story and world. and interesting control mechanics.

Your best bet in general is probably checking out Switch games though, since Nintendo tends to encourage games with that kind of gameplay and actually has some support for splitscreen formats etc. The major developers for XB1 and PS4 have largely shifted towards "games as service" formats which tends to exclusively cater to single person online experiences, so unless you have two consoles and sets of screens you end up pretty limited there. For those consoles you really have to look at "indie" releases and such more than major studio stuff these days, unfortunately.

Thank you!!!!! OMG the trailer for Portal 2 looks awesome!

Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Zombies mode on Call of Duty is great fun on splitscreen. Suppose a good starting point on PS4 or Xbox One would be to buy the Zombies Chronicles Edition of Black Ops 3, the maps on that DLC are remastered versions of maps from older games and are pretty straightforward. The newer maps are a lot more complex.

I am a bit rubbish (totally rubbish) and shooting games and my husband is annoyingly good haha

Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
A Way Out

One of the best coop games I've played in a while, it has a good story and is visually stunning.

A forgot about that one too the story is amazing I need to give that ago again soon and swap characters :P
I am a bit rubbish (totally rubbish) and shooting games and my husband is annoyingly good haha

You don't have to be good at FPS games to be good at the zombies mode, I'm notably average at them but I've done several round 100 games over the years :h: My best mate used to play CS:GO competitively but he's a pretty average zombies player. Being able to aim quickly isn't strictly necessary, it's more of a strategy game and a player that moves well will do far better than a play who aims well. Plus you've got aim assist on consoles so yeah.
Yay were on the same page! Why did you decide to not try out Degrees of Separation ?

Just haven't had the time to play it yet haha, we have a ton of games ready to kick off together plus also some more story based ones (she likes story) that are more interactive then a game :h:
Yusss! Shame there isn't as many options on console as there is PC :frown:
My girlfriend isn't really a gamer though so she's not into games for usual gamer reasons :lol:
If you want to get a divorce then play Portal 2, it is the best way to fall out with anyone.
Original post by Decahedron
If you want to get a divorce then play Portal 2, it is the best way to fall out with anyone.

Im sure FIFA would be better for that
Original post by SuperHuman98

Working together is far harder, trying to time jumping puzzles while relying on the other person not ****ing it up :headfire:
Original post by Decahedron

Original post by SuperHuman98

Easier way for divorce is just to play Divinity Original Sin 2

Get one to play as melee geomancy and other a ranged pyromancy....you're welcome :biggrin:
Original post by Kraggor
Easier way for divorce is just to play Divinity Original Sin 2

Get one to play as melee geomancy and other a ranged pyromancy....you're welcome :biggrin:

But oil and fire work so well together :yep:

How about sneaking those "red" health potions into someone's inventory :innocent:

Quick Reply

Latest