The Student Room Group

Law with American Studies

Hello, there is a course at Sussex titled Law with American Studies which is a (LLB) qualification, but incorporates aspects of American history/politics and also offers a year abroad in America where you develop understanding the connection between the 2 legal systems.

Albeit, this interest me. I am worried that it would be viewed less favourably by employees than if I completed just Law alone.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Just to reiterate, it’s not a BA or anything, an LLB is seared upon completion.

Thanks again

Scroll to see replies

As I understand it, the "American Studies" bit is concerned with America generally rather than specifically American law. I would limit your expectations, therefore.

The recruitment expert on here tells us that it'd be viewed the same as a traditional LLB, as non-law grads are perceived the same as. I might try to aim for somewhere a bit more established than Sussex, but up to you.
Reply 2
Ah, I got you. I appreciate your input greatly! Thank you
Reply 3
Jjh
Reply 4
Thanks Johan, what’s so bad about Sussex? It’s too 20 for Law in nearly every league table. Thanks for the continued help. It’s also ranked higher than Exeter
Reply 5
I have no bias or preference towards Sussex, just see it ranked highly in almost every ranking, higher than Russell groups for law, like Exeter, QMU, Liverpool, Newcastle etc. What am I missing?
Reply 6
Original post by mo7839
Thanks Johan, what’s so bad about Sussex? It’s too 20 for Law in nearly every league table. Thanks for the continued help. It’s also ranked higher than Exeter

In the CUG, Exeter is higher for law than Sussex but I wouldn’t always go off league tables or get too caught up in them as they use a number of different factors. I mean in The Guardian one, Solent ranks above Nottingham, Warwick, Edinburgh and Exeter and is apparently the 14th best uni in the country for law - would you want to go to Solent? League tables can be useful but only when you know how they’re used.

Sussex certainly isn’t a bad uni, it’s just not on the tier of a lot of the other ones mentioned.
Reply 7
Original post by Arisapo
In the CUG, Exeter is higher for law than Sussex but I wouldn’t always go off league tables or get too caught up in them as they use a number of different factors. I mean in The Guardian one, Solent ranks above Nottingham, Warwick, Edinburgh and Exeter and is apparently the 14th best uni in the country for law - would you want to go to Solent? League tables can be useful but only when you know how they’re used.

Sussex certainly isn’t a bad uni, it’s just not on the tier of a lot of the other ones mentioned.

That makes a lot of sense mate. Thank you for your input. Do you think Sussex would considerably hurt my chances at a top city law job? I’ve always been somebody who takes part in extra curriculars and legal volunteering but worried it may affect getting TC’s and jobs. Regards
Reply 8
Original post by mo7839
That makes a lot of sense mate. Thank you for your input. Do you think Sussex would considerably hurt my chances at a top city law job? I’ve always been somebody who takes part in extra curriculars and legal volunteering but worried it may affect getting TC’s and jobs. Regards

I mean it wouldn’t be impossible as it’s not the worst uni, but if you have such high aspirations, there are better places you can go to give yourself more of a chance.

Where else are you considering?
Reply 9
Original post by Arisapo
I mean it wouldn’t be impossible as it’s not the worst uni, but if you have such high aspirations, there are better places you can go to give yourself more of a chance.

Where else are you considering?

Unfortunately, rejections from my other choices as I did not perform great on the LNAT, and stupidly 4 of my choices were LNAT unis. So only have an offer from Sussex. As I’m a mature student, don’t want to take another year off. So in a bit of a pickle. Thanks again.
Reply 10
I only scored 24 on the LNAT and was told by the unis ‘other candidates performed better on the LNAT’ for reason for rejection.
Original post by mo7839
Unfortunately, rejections from my other choices as I did not perform great on the LNAT, and stupidly 4 of my choices were LNAT unis. So only have an offer from Sussex. As I’m a mature student, don’t want to take another year off. So in a bit of a pickle. Thanks again.

Ah, that probably wasn’t the wisest choice in hindsight - what did you score if you don’t mind me asking?

I understand not wanting to take another year off and that’s probably the right decision. If you go to Sussex, it wouldn’t be the end of the world and you can land yourself a decent job if you do well I’m sure, as long as you apply yourself while you’re there.

Have you considered UCAS Extra or clearing? Through clearing you can usually get some pretty good places - the likes of Manchester, Newcastle, Warwick and Exeter have been there in previous years.
Original post by mo7839
I only scored 24 on the LNAT and was told by the unis ‘other candidates performed better on the LNAT’ for reason for rejection.

24? That’s above average and not a bad score at all, especially in previous years where the average was around 18/19.

That’s very strange that you got 4 rejections what were the 4 you applied to and what A Levels did you have while applying?
Reply 13
Original post by Arisapo
24? That’s above average and not a bad score at all, especially in previous years where the average was around 18/19.

That’s very strange that you got 4 rejections what were the 4 you applied to and what A Levels did you have while applying?

The average was 23 this year I believe, I think my essay also let me down for UCL as they value this. UCL, KCL, LSE. I made a mistake, my spicules, one was Warwick, who aren’t LNAT, no reason for rejection from them.
I’m slightly unconventional as I’m taking a level 4 university certificate in Law. Which is respected and people have gone into UCL, Oxford, KCL regularly with it. I am studying on it now and predicted a 1st
Reply 14
Original post by Arisapo
Ah, that probably wasn’t the wisest choice in hindsight - what did you score if you don’t mind me asking?

I understand not wanting to take another year off and that’s probably the right decision. If you go to Sussex, it wouldn’t be the end of the world and you can land yourself a decent job if you do well I’m sure, as long as you apply yourself while you’re there.

Have you considered UCAS Extra or clearing? Through clearing you can usually get some pretty good places - the likes of Manchester, Newcastle, Warwick and Exeter have been there in previous years.

Thank you for this suggestion, this is a great idea. However, Warwick, I already have been rejected from. And the prospect of dropping Sussex and not getting into a uni of that caliber in clearing is daunting. At the age where if uni isn’t this year, don’t know if I’ll end up going. Dream choices have always been UCL and KCL but waiting another year and possibly facing another rejecting is very possible.
Original post by mo7839
The average was 23 this year I believe, I think my essay also let me down for UCL as they value this. UCL, KCL, LSE. I made a mistake, my spicules, one was Warwick, who aren’t LNAT, no reason for rejection from them.
I’m slightly unconventional as I’m taking a level 4 university certificate in Law. Which is respected and people have gone into UCL, Oxford, KCL regularly with it. I am studying on it now and predicted a 1st

Picking 3 London based ones was probably a mistake on your part as they can be particularly picky with the LNAT.

If you’d applied to Nottingham or Bristol, I’m sure you’d have had a great chance with that score.

I’m not knowledgeable about the Level 4 certificate if I’m honest but if it’s recognised then it’s unfortunate you didn’t get an offer.

If you were aiming for those unis though and are on course to do well, you should be going somewhere better than Sussex I feel.
Original post by mo7839
Thank you for this suggestion, this is a great idea. However, Warwick, I already have been rejected from. And the prospect of dropping Sussex and not getting into a uni of that caliber in clearing is daunting. At the age where if uni isn’t this year, don’t know if I’ll end up going. Dream choices have always been UCL and KCL but waiting another year and possibly facing another rejecting is very possible.

I probably wouldn’t take another year just to apply to KCL/UCL as like you said there’s the chance you won’t get in and that’s another wasted uni.

It’s your decision and if you end up going to Sussex,
it won’t be the worst place to study in the world.
I'm not knowledgable about the level 4 certificate either but I would definitely accept Sussex as they are a decent uni and the course sounds interesting. Once Clearing begins, you will be able to see where else is recruiting and if anywhere interests you more than Sussex, you can start making some phone calls. But if not, I would go to uni and make sure you do lots of law related extra curriulars as well as aiming for a minimum 2.1 in your degree
Btw, many Law grads don't go into Law.

The degree itself is good for a very wide range of future careers - related stuff like government/Public Sector, journalism, think tanks, human rights, international relations etc etc, but also more general 'graduate roles' in the same way that degrees in History, English, Social Sciences are. And in this case, you need as many extra facets to your CV as possible. Employers value overseas experience (it is not regarded as a twee gap-year as one poster appears to assume) - and there are a many areas of work where personal experience of the US, combined with a 'sensible' degree like Law, would be a big plus. If its LLB its a qualifying Law degree - the world will always need lawyers and people who think like lawyers.

And Sussex is a good Uni. You'll hear a great deal of utter wibble on TSR about 'better Unis' and its mostly 'I've heard' rubbish.
Its always offered lots of joint subjects in the belief that a rounded education is better than a very narrow subject focus. You'l find Sussex grads in all sorts of surprising roles outside their degree subject as a result.. Its a smaller Uni - more friendly, less 'anonymous' and has lots of mature students and other folk who don't fit the 'normal student' mould - and its in a fabulously arty seaside town thats a 50 minute train journey to London. If this is what you want, go for it.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Arisapo
I probably wouldn’t take another year just to apply to KCL/UCL as like you said there’s the chance you won’t get in and that’s another wasted uni.

It’s your decision and if you end up going to Sussex,
it won’t be the worst place to study in the world.

Thanks so much bro. You are very knowledgable and have been incredibly helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending