The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham economics 2019

Heyyy, anyone else firmed Nottingham for economics 2019? Want to chat? What are you studying/predicted grades? What are you most looking forward to? :smile: :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've firmed economics and mathematics, if that counts :smile::smile:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Yeah that counts :biggrin: which accomodation are you staying in?
Original post by LHRodney
I've firmed economics and mathematics, if that counts :smile::smile:
Reply 3
Raleigh Park
Hey! I've firmed economics and politics if that counts? :smile:
Reply 5
Sure that counts! Sorry I’ve only just seen this. :smile: where are you staying?
Original post by Brandolewis
Hey! I've firmed economics and politics if that counts? :smile:
Reply 6
firmed for philosophy politics and economics, if that counts?
Reply 7
Wooo yeah! Which accomodation have you picked? :smile:
Original post by LorettaO
firmed for philosophy politics and economics, if that counts?
Reply 8
Original post by EconGem
Wooo yeah! Which accomodation have you picked? :smile:

St Peters Court
Original post by EconGem
Sure that counts! Sorry I’ve only just seen this. :smile: where are you staying?

It's no problem haha! I'm staying at Riverside point :smile:
Reply 10
Me too!
It's no problem haha! I'm staying at Riverside point :smile:
Have you managed to look around the place yet? I've never been not sure what its gonna be like
Original post by EconGem
Me too!
Reply 12
No but I’m in a Facebook group chat for the accomodation and someone sent pictures on there. It looks really nice!!
Have you managed to look around the place yet? I've never been not sure what its gonna be like
hi! i've got an offer for BSc Econ but I'm torn between Notts and Bath. High key leaning towards Notts though. What made y'all firm it?
Reply 14
Hey! I made a pros and cons list and realised that Nottingham won for me. I live in a city currently, and quite like the vibe so I knew I’d enjoy living in Nottingham and it’s massively closer to home (1.5hrs away compared to 4/5hrs for Bath). Student satisfaction is much higher at Nottingham too! I really enjoyed the offer holder day when I visited, the students and lecturers seemed really friendly and approachable. I got a nice vibe from the campus too which I didn’t particularly get from Bath. I also felt like because Nottingham is a bigger city and uni there would be a lot more to do, a wider range - E.g. Nottingham have a kitty cafe which I LOVE😂.
Something to note, as Nottingham accomodation is already open, you might want to try make your decision ASAP to try get your preferred choice (I’ll be staying at riverside point which looks really really nice!). A disadvantage of Nottingham is that all self catered is off campus, as is riverside point, but my accomodation give you a free bus pass (and it’s a short bus ride).

When I had a look at rankings for econ across different websites, I felt like Nottingham was consistently there near the top and Bath would either be really high or really low, which I thought was strange...
Also, I had a look online and Bath is supposed to be a very expensive place to live, not too dissimilar to London. Also private accommodation within Bath is expensive so you might have to move far out for second year, I’m not sure. My dad is helping me with living costs so I felt happier knowing that Nottingham was cheaper so he wouldn’t need to give me to much money. Also, on bath city there were lots of elderly people, and not much younger people about - it seems that shops are more tailored towards them.

All these points I have made are the ones i used to convince myself to pick Nottingham, so it’s very one sided. I also have a list of positives for bath if you want it?🤣 (sorry for such a long post!)
Original post by h20head
hi! i've got an offer for BSc Econ but I'm torn between Notts and Bath. High key leaning towards Notts though. What made y'all firm it?
I'd like the positives list for Bath too if you don't mind! this was enough to sway me permanently to UoN but I'd like to have all the facts if you get what I mean. I'd have visited the campuses too on their open days but im an international student so unfortunately I couldn't. Thanks a lot for your help by the the way!! EDIT: regarding accommodation it's also one of the reasons im shaky about UoN, I've heard bad stuff about catered (I'm not the best at cooking) options on TSR and on The Nottingham Tab but idk who to believe lol
Original post by EconGem
Hey! I made a pros and cons list and realised that Nottingham won for me. I live in a city currently, and quite like the vibe so I knew I’d enjoy living in Nottingham and it’s massively closer to home (1.5hrs away compared to 4/5hrs for Bath). Student satisfaction is much higher at Nottingham too! I really enjoyed the offer holder day when I visited, the students and lecturers seemed really friendly and approachable. I got a nice vibe from the campus too which I didn’t particularly get from Bath. I also felt like because Nottingham is a bigger city and uni there would be a lot more to do, a wider range - E.g. Nottingham have a kitty cafe which I LOVE😂.
Something to note, as Nottingham accomodation is already open, you might want to try make your decision ASAP to try get your preferred choice (I’ll be staying at riverside point which looks really really nice!). A disadvantage of Nottingham is that all self catered is off campus, as is riverside point, but my accomodation give you a free bus pass (and it’s a short bus ride).

When I had a look at rankings for econ across different websites, I felt like Nottingham was consistently there near the top and Bath would either be really high or really low, which I thought was strange...
Also, I had a look online and Bath is supposed to be a very expensive place to live, not too dissimilar to London. Also private accommodation within Bath is expensive so you might have to move far out for second year, I’m not sure. My dad is helping me with living costs so I felt happier knowing that Nottingham was cheaper so he wouldn’t need to give me to much money. Also, on bath city there were lots of elderly people, and not much younger people about - it seems that shops are more tailored towards them.

All these points I have made are the ones i used to convince myself to pick Nottingham, so it’s very one sided. I also have a list of positives for bath if you want it?🤣 (sorry for such a long post!)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 16
I’ve just remembered another Nottingham positive : the students at Bath said it can be really hard to get a seat in the library because it’s not massive, whereas Nottingham have at least 2 and I haven’t heard any complaints about people finding a seat!

Bath pros:
The city is very pretty which could make it quite a relaxing place to go study. I don’t partying a lot, and as the nightlife isn’t the best in Bath, I imagine students that go there won’t be too focused on the partying too... that being said Bristol is nearby if you’re wanting a night out. I stayed in some uni accomodation at Bath which was really nice (a positive for me is that it’s on campus, all catered will be on campus too, same as Nottingham). Another positive I had is that their jazz band is inauditioned, whereas I’d have to audition for Nottingham, and there’s a big possibility I won’t pass haha! (Of course this may not be relevant to you, but it’s worth having a look societies and things like that...)
Bath put a lot of focus when I was there on their skills centre, where they run different (optional) lectures on study skills etc to help you at uni - I really liked this (but I’m sure Nottingham do similar!). I really liked baths arts centre (again, may not be relevant for you), as it had lots of practice rooms.

With regards to food in accomodation, I didn’t hear about the food at bath, however I did at Nottingham. I heard from one person that the food was quite nice, and I heard from another that it wasn’t the best...I imagine it’s balanced diet food (which is good for a student) and big meals that will keep you full. Also, I heard that they do lots of different kind of foods as the uni is quite international, so it won’t be the same foods all the time, and some more exotic meals too! Another thing, it’s likely that you’ll only be in catered for your first year, so if it really isn’t the best, you’ve only got one year of it (and at least they’ll be relatively healthy (and guaranteed) meals!)... :smile: if I think of any other pros and cons I’ll let you know!
Original post by h20head
I'd like the positives list for Bath too if you don't mind! this was enough to sway me permanently to UoN but I'd like to have all the facts if you get what I mean. I'd have visited the campuses too on their open days but im an international student so unfortunately I couldn't. Thanks a lot for your help by the the way!! EDIT: regarding accommodation it's also one of the reasons im shaky about UoN, I've heard bad stuff about catered (I'm not the best at cooking) options on TSR and on The Nottingham Tab but idk who to believe lol
this really helped me a lot(both, the relevant and irrelevant stuff haha) and thank you so much for this. It's looking really likely that I'll be seeing you in Nottingham so we should keep in touch (pm me on here if you wish)! Thank you once again your help has been really, really invaluable!
Original post by EconGem
I’ve just remembered another Nottingham positive : the students at Bath said it can be really hard to get a seat in the library because it’s not massive, whereas Nottingham have at least 2 and I haven’t heard any complaints about people finding a seat!

Bath pros:
The city is very pretty which could make it quite a relaxing place to go study. I don’t partying a lot, and as the nightlife isn’t the best in Bath, I imagine students that go there won’t be too focused on the partying too... that being said Bristol is nearby if you’re wanting a night out. I stayed in some uni accomodation at Bath which was really nice (a positive for me is that it’s on campus, all catered will be on campus too, same as Nottingham). Another positive I had is that their jazz band is inauditioned, whereas I’d have to audition for Nottingham, and there’s a big possibility I won’t pass haha! (Of course this may not be relevant to you, but it’s worth having a look societies and things like that...)
Bath put a lot of focus when I was there on their skills centre, where they run different (optional) lectures on study skills etc to help you at uni - I really liked this (but I’m sure Nottingham do similar!). I really liked baths arts centre (again, may not be relevant for you), as it had lots of practice rooms.

With regards to food in accomodation, I didn’t hear about the food at bath, however I did at Nottingham. I heard from one person that the food was quite nice, and I heard from another that it wasn’t the best...I imagine it’s balanced diet food (which is good for a student) and big meals that will keep you full. Also, I heard that they do lots of different kind of foods as the uni is quite international, so it won’t be the same foods all the time, and some more exotic meals too! Another thing, it’s likely that you’ll only be in catered for your first year, so if it really isn’t the best, you’ve only got one year of it (and at least they’ll be relatively healthy (and guaranteed) meals!)... :smile: if I think of any other pros and cons I’ll let you know!
Reply 18
I’m so so glad I have helped. I really struggled making my decision, but I’m so glad I picked Nottingham now! I would pm you, however I have no idea how🤣 I’m quite new to student room... I will try figure it out :wink:
Original post by h20head
this really helped me a lot(both, the relevant and irrelevant stuff haha) and thank you so much for this. It's looking really likely that I'll be seeing you in Nottingham so we should keep in touch (pm me on here if you wish)! Thank you once again your help has been really, really invaluable!
Hey I’ve firmed nottingham for economics :smile:
I’m studying Biology, chemistry and maths :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending