The Student Room Group

Worried my army medical is going to come back as a Fail

Hey Everyone any advices is appreciated

So I went to sign up for Ifantry and I'm really worried my medical is going to come back as a fail. So I have a condition in my left eye known as keratitis which is basiclly from when I was a kid I was stabbed with glass in my eye and I wasn't taking to a GP and treated so it healed on it's own and then years later a bacterial infection caused my eye to get Keratitis because it wasn't looked after properly. So I got this really bad and I have scaring over my left eye which effect my vission a little bit. It also caused a ulcer once but that was years ago and I haven't had a ulcer ever since. So I signed up for ifantry and went to my opticians that filled out the forum and my vission is upto standard's for the army which is great and he also documented my condition which the army have received and have said nothing about it so far. So there still waiting for my GP records which I'm a little worried about because about 3 years ago my dad passed away from a Drug Overdose and I was referred to a Mental Health worker for Anxiety, I went twice and she said I didn't need her services anymore but during that time my dad passed i was drunk a few times and had a sort of mental breakdown twice and went into hospital. I dont think it was documented as it wasn't my GP and I can't even remember what happened I was that out of it, They sent me home because I was under the influence of alcohol so hopefully that wasn't documented? I'm so worried because I've poured my heart into joining the army. I haven't smoked in 2 months, I train everyday. I'm only 19 and started weight training to deal with the *****y life I've had as a kid and I'm in really good shape. So next week the army get me to catterick for a taster day which will last 3 days but I think there still waiting on my GP to send my medical history over... I'm so worried as the army is all I can see myself doing. If theres any problems with my medical history I'm sure my GP would write a letter saying i dont have anxiety and my breakdowns were due to alcohol and losing my dad from drugs. I'm a strong minded lad I just lost it a little after losing my dad to drugs and my nan to cancer and that's the only family I had here. I come from a *****y family but I'm really a good lad just trying to move on with life and do something postive. I could handle anything that could happen serving and I'm ready mentally/physically for anything. Sorry to rant on but I'm just so worried and want to move on with life. I want to pass my assesment and start training ASAP.

Thank You. Any advice is appreciated
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ConnerS2019

The depression incident, if recorded, probably isn't an issue because there was a specific and reasonable cause, sometimes they make you wait a while to join. However, I suspect your eye issue will stop entry, based on what you've said - all the Armed Forces have approximately the same basic medical standards and here's what the RAF says

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/media/1652/medical-conditions-that-preclude-entry.pdf

You need to wait and see what they say, because they will look at your specific circumstances when there is a question over fitness like this. But there other careers that might have different medical requirements but similar working environment (Fire service?).
Reply 2
So sorry to hear about your troubles, Conner.

The only thing you can do is wait and see how the medical goes. If you don't pass, there is the opportunity to appeal, but that depends on what new information you can provide to support your case.

Those are quite specific conditions you have described, so I doubt you'll get a 'yes, you'll pass/no you'll fail' on here as there's no medical experts; there's Adam from RAF Recruitment and a group who are serving/ex-Forces so we tend to know certain conditions and what is a bar to entry, but not all the details. Also, bear in mind that some conditions are a bar to entry for all of the Services.

I've worked in RAF Recruitment and know how devastating it can be for someone to be told an absolute 'no', especially when someone has been so focused on joining up. If you aren't successful, look after yourself and talk to someone for a bit of help and perspective on the situation. From what you've said, I think you've shown a lot of determination to get to this point in your life and you've got personal qualities that will be an asset to someone somewhere. So, if it's not the Army, keep looking for something. Take care!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
The depression incident, if recorded, probably isn't an issue because there was a specific and reasonable cause, sometimes they make you wait a while to join. However, I suspect your eye issue will stop entry, based on what you've said - all the Armed Forces have approximately the same basic medical standards and here's what the RAF says

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/media/1652/medical-conditions-that-preclude-entry.pdf

You need to wait and see what they say, because they will look at your specific circumstances when there is a question over fitness like this. But there other careers that might have different medical requirements but similar working environment (Fire service?).

Hi thanks for your reply

They have received my opticians report with my condition but haven't said anything about it yet. I don't know if they've received my Medical History yet but my careers officer text last week saying they've still not got it. I will be devastated if anything stoos me joining. It does say reoccurring ulcers I think I've only had one and then I just got keratitis after that? But yes I will have to wait and see.

Thank you
Reply 4
Original post by Surnia
So sorry to hear about your troubles, Conner.

The only thing you can do is wait and see how the medical goes. If you don't pass, there is the opportunity to appeal, but that depends on what new information you can provide to support your case.

Those are quite specific conditions you have described, so I doubt you'll get a 'yes, you'll pass/no you'll fail' on here as thetes no medical experts; there's Adam from RAF Recruitment and a group who are serving/ex-Forces so we tend to know certain conditions and what is a bar to entry, but not all the details. Also, bear in mind that some conditions are a bar to entry for all of the Services.

I've worked in RAF Recruitment and know how devastating it can be for someone to be told an absolute 'no', especially when someone has been so focused on joining up. If you aren't successful, look after yourself and talk to someone for a bit of help and perspective on the situation. From what you've said, I think you've shown a lot of determination to get to this point in your life and you've got personal qualities that will be an asset to someone somewhere. So, if it's not the Army, keep looking for something. Take care!

Thank you for your advice. But to be honest I have no qualifications and I haven't exactly been very good. I've been in & out of trouble with the police and was hoping to get away with the Army and sort myself out. But yes I will have to find something if the army doesn't take me.

Thanks for your reply
Reply 5
I did reply to Surnia but it says a admin needs to approve first for some reason.
Reply 6
Okay so speaking to a friend who has scholis who was Rejected from the Army, He made a appeal and got his GP to write a letter saying it wouldn't affect anything and he is fit to train he was then accepted after a year of appeling. So this has got my hopes up a little more. My optician is a sound guy and I dont think Keratitis will stop me joining maybe that I had a ulcer once or twice which was due to me being neglated as a kid and not looked after when the keratitis kicked in and it wasn't seen too. I think my last ulcer was well over 4 years ago. . And I wouldn't get a ulcer as long as my keratitis is treated when it starts which I've not in years either.
Reply 7
Original post by Mya Neagle
Hey Connor, did you pass your medical in the end?, this is something I’m worried about too is passing my medical

This user hasn't posted on here for just over a year. The only thing you can do is see what general medical conditions are a delay or bar to entry, but it's all looked at on a case-by-case basis, so see what happens if you apply. No-one can advise you on whether you'll get through; it's down to the doctors.
Original post by Surnia
This user hasn't posted on here for just over a year. The only thing you can do is see what general medical conditions are a delay or bar to entry, but it's all looked at on a case-by-case basis, so see what happens if you apply. No-one can advise you on whether you'll get through; it's down to the doctors.

Thank you, makes sense !

Latest