The Student Room Group

Social Work Bursary

Can someone please explain why these are available for undergraduates. As I will be doing a Masters degree in Social Work, I will be applying for the bursary, but of course there's the possibility of not getting it as the number of bursaries doesn't equal the number of students. The undergraduate Social work students have all the other SLC loans available to them like I had when I did my Chemistry degree many years ago, so why does the government not give every Masters student the bursary and a select few undergraduates. I don't understand the logic. If I don't get the bursary then I won't be able to do the course.
My thoughts exactly. I have a Law degree with Criminology and applied for the MA . I was at the university with people who applied for the BA in social work. Im 33 and they were around 18 ? I can see how they are investing in fast track schemes because the " quality" of entrants is not high as they only ask for 60 days work experience and in your teens or around 20 i dont agree one is mature enough to handle a complex profession working with vulnerable people .
Original post by MMT0609
Can someone please explain why these are available for undergraduates. As I will be doing a Masters degree in Social Work, I will be applying for the bursary, but of course there's the possibility of not getting it as the number of bursaries doesn't equal the number of students. The undergraduate Social work students have all the other SLC loans available to them like I had when I did my Chemistry degree many years ago, so why does the government not give every Masters student the bursary and a select few undergraduates. I don't understand the logic. If I don't get the bursary then I won't be able to do the course.

I'm in a similar predicament, it is frustrating but we will have to wait and see with some optimism!
Reply 3
Does anyone in Birmingham university starting the Social Work MA have a list of the modules and core texts? I start next year but just want to do some background reading when I'm free.
I will be starting my social work course this September, undergraduate that is. We are not entitled to any burseries until our second year of study. For me personally, I am passionate about the course and have experience, not just issues such as baby P (which, quite frankly, is silly to judge someone's base knowledge from when it's such a huge and vast area of study). The undergraduate course is not that much different to the master's, the difference being very minimal in terms of subjects and teachings, so it makes sense to offer the same opportunity for those studying it, both in the undergraduate and masters classes. For me personally, I will not be able to work much due to placement and lecture time, and yet still have to cover costs for accommodation and maintenance. As well as this, I have no family who are able to give me financial aid as I am estranged. Do I not deserve an equal chance to the master's? Not only that, but you say if you don't get the bursery they you cannot do the course, but the same goes for many undergraduate students, including myself. The system is more than fair
Original post by Elliebow713
I will be starting my social work course this September, undergraduate that is. We are not entitled to any burseries until our second year of study. For me personally, I am passionate about the course and have experience, not just issues such as baby P (which, quite frankly, is silly to judge someone's base knowledge from when it's such a huge and vast area of study). The undergraduate course is not that much different to the master's, the difference being very minimal in terms of subjects and teachings, so it makes sense to offer the same opportunity for those studying it, both in the undergraduate and masters classes. For me personally, I will not be able to work much due to placement and lecture time, and yet still have to cover costs for accommodation and maintenance. As well as this, I have no family who are able to give me financial aid as I am estranged. Do I not deserve an equal chance to the master's? Not only that, but you say if you don't get the bursery they you cannot do the course, but the same goes for many undergraduate students, including myself. The system is more than fair

I think what the person above is trying to convey is that undergrads (regardless of the course) get mateinence grants and student loans to cover both fees and day to day living which master’s students aren’t wholly entitled to. If you don’t get a bursary you’re only entitled to £10,000 student loan over the two years which doesn’t even cover University course fees let alone day to day living. Ultimately it is much easier to ascertain financial help for undergraduate courses than it is master’s.

In relation to your comment re baby p... given its one of the most influential cases in terms of child protection and certainly social work related law, is it not surprising to hear of any budding social worker not being at least aware of this case?
Reply 6
I know this is old but the undergraduate bursary is only a fraction of what the postgraduate amount is. The reason they do it is because you cannot work while on placements, it's to help with living costs for that period. Being 18 or 40 doesn't make the cost of living any cheaper and not everybody has parents who can afford to pay for their living costs
Original post by Bec260205
I know this is old but the undergraduate bursary is only a fraction of what the postgraduate amount is. The reason they do it is because you cannot work while on placements, it's to help with living costs for that period. Being 18 or 40 doesn't make the cost of living any cheaper and not everybody has parents who can afford to pay for their living costs

The point the previous posters were making was that that undergraduates get a tuition fee loan which masters students do not if they are entitled to the bursary. The bursary does not fully pay the tuition fees and often they have to make up the difference themselves. The masters loan also doesn't cover the tuition fee amount so really masters students are at a disadvantage in comparison to undergraduates in terms of funding.

Quick Reply

Latest