The Student Room Group

Who do you think is worst Prime Minister Britain has had ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pigster
Nick Clegg.

He was not PM!
Tony Blair.
The dude brought us into a war we should never have been in. The war being the Iraq war.
Original post by JamesManc
Winston Churchill, because he carried on a war against Germany when Hitler offered peace whose result was to bankrupt the country and make it a slave to America. Baldwin and Asquith were quite bad too. Asquith for entering the first world war which Britain didn't have to, and losing 750,000 young men in the process.

Hitler offering peace meant nothing. He also had a treaty with the USSR, and it helped defeat the Nazis.

On WW1, we had an agreement to protect Belgium, we were right to uphold that.
Original post by RazzzBerries
I’m watching the historical (but slightly twisted for dramatic purposes :wink: ) drama Victoria on ITV. Last episode had Eden in it and I agree with you :yep:

I think you are confused with the Netflix series “the crown” Anthony Eden would have only been 4 at the time of Queen Victoria’s death he was Prime Minister under Queen Elizabeth II
Original post by Ray_Shadows
So while i'm coming to the end of the A-level history course (Studying the making of modern Britain 1951-2007) it makes me wonder who does everyone think was the worst Prime minister Britain has ever had .

Personally I think it was Anthony Eden mainly because of how bad the Suez Crisis went.

What do you think (PS a reason as to why you think that might help me wiht reivsion, so pls say why :biggrin: )

Tony Blair
Neville Chamberlain. He wanted to appease the Nazis, and would have let them take over all of Europe - at which point we wouldn't have had a leg to stand on were they to finally invade Britain.
Eden is one of the best PMs this country has had and is treated unfairly by people who take his actions out of historical context. The decision to send troops to Suez and protect the vitally strategic canal against an aggressive Egyptian nationalist was well within the spirit of international law and appeasement had led to far greater evil in his time. The British weren't the only ones struggling to keep their empire. The French were losing Vietnam and Algiers. Eden did what he did best, tried to enforce the status quo and prevent making the mistake of appeasement. Unfortunately the US didn't like the empire so stabbed him in the back. Quite funny really because if Britain still had Suez we probably could have stopped 9/11 by exercising more pressure on middle Eastern States...
Viscount Goderich
Winston Churchill, because he carried on a war against Germany when Hitler offered peace whose result was to bankrupt the country and make it a slave to America. Baldwin and Asquith were quite bad too. Asquith for entering the first world war which Britain didn't have to, and losing 750,000 young men in the process.

So we should have done what? Waited till Germany had a firm hold over France and was now far far more powerful than we were? Wait until he possibly takes over the Soviet Union and would probably be easily able to rival America?

Hitler had lied many times before, "oh let me just take this bit of land then I will be happy" "let me annex austria and that is all I will do"
History is not going to be kind to May,
Arthur Balfour.
Original post by Tylerd94
I think you are confused with the Netflix series “the crown” Anthony Eden would have only been 4 at the time of Queen Victoria’s death he was Prime Minister under Queen Elizabeth II

You’re right :rofl:, sorry! I’m watching both simultaneously and I’m mixing it up.
any particular reason why

This won't help you with your revision because I'm not sure you could include this in your Exam answers but it could be that Mr Blair is a grade A ****.
I'm still 100% it was Tony Blair, though many would disagree because of his charisma and ability to gain support. If you look at the legacy, he took a sledgehammer to the middle east and this country. He was a disaster.
Original post by Study_Girl 7
I mean its just my opinion- everyone has different opinions-there's no right or wrong answer

Claiming India was part of the British Empire in 1984 isn't an opinion... It's like me saying 'in my opinion, Britain is in Asia"
Original post by doggonator
I am aware of two prime ministers because I couldn't give a toss about politics but I have to say Theresa May, she literally cannot answer a single question no matter its simplicity, she avoids all confrontation and speaks empty words with every breath, the UK would be better off with a gorilla as PM.

Great to see the informed minds taking part in the debate

And allow the Holocaust to continue and Poland to be annexed, the whole reason we entered the war in the first place
Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe
History is not going to be kind to May,

Maybe pub history. Academic history will realise she never had a chance to begin with.
I vouch for Neville Chamberlain, there was absolutely no reason to give the nazis any momentum, nip it in the bud so to speak as they first invaded a European country.
Original post by ColinDent
This won't help you with your revision because I'm not sure you could include this in your Exam answers but it could be that Mr Blair is a grade A ****.

funny story my brother actually wrote something like that in his AS exams , he automatically got an E in it (i think he did it cause he was gonna drop it regardless what he got :biggrin: )
funny story my brother actually wrote something like that in his AS exams , he automatically got an E in it (i think he did it cause he was gonna drop it regardless what he got :biggrin: )

🤣🤣🤣🤣 Good man.
Original post by That'sGreat
Maybe pub history. Academic history will realise she never had a chance to begin with.

May has repeatedly made bad decisions, lost control of party discipline, suffered the worst parliamentary defeat in history and, if reports of her conduct behind closed doors are true, will be eviscerated in future cabinet autobiographies.

That’s not someone who is the victim of her circumstances, that is someone who is a rank bad leader.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending