The Student Room Group

Anthropology Degree

I have applied Durham, Exeter, Bristol, UCL, Manchester.I prefer anthropology mix including the science side (not just social).No idea where to firm or where I would like most. Any ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Hi, I'm doing Anthropology and Archaeology at Bristol so I can tell you a bit about that. For straight anthropology, you will be doing a lot of social anthropology, but also will have the options to study biological anth, or more archaeological studies, later on in the degree. In the first year we got a mix of social anthropology, applied anthropology and evolutionary anthropology, as well as archaeology as well since I'm doing joint, but some archaeological units are also available as an option to straight Anth students. I think if you're not sure try looking at the course structure for all of the courses you have applied to, to see which units you'd like to choose and what those units consist of in terms of subject matter and how they're assessed. This can be a good way to decide what you want to do. If you have any more questions about Bristol, I'm happy to answer them
Which specific course(s) did you apply to at each of those universities? UCL for example has Social Anthropology, Arch & Anth, and Human Sciences, which all have slightly different emphases in course content (although a fair bit of overlap as well).

Exeter does have some emphasis on the physical/biological anthropology to my understanding (we had some of our EE lectures in their department, they definitely have a lot of skulls and stuff lying around). UCL obviously a lot of biological anthropology and human sciences related options, seeing as they're one of the few universities in the country with a human sciences degree. I know Durham has arch & anth but I don't know to what extent it involves the biological anthropology and archaeological science aspects (I imagine there should be at least some options, and they may well be patterned after Oxford's course which is essentially a tripartite degree between archaeology, social anthropology, and biological anthropology).

I'd suggest you go through the module/paper offerings for each course and read through any syllabuses (or reading lists, if possible!) to get an idea of how much you can tailor the course to your interests in that area, and how much the course lies in that realm to begin with (before choosing options).
Reply 3
Original post by hf17841
Hi, I'm doing Anthropology and Archaeology at Bristol so I can tell you a bit about that. For straight anthropology, you will be doing a lot of social anthropology, but also will have the options to study biological anth, or more archaeological studies, later on in the degree. In the first year we got a mix of social anthropology, applied anthropology and evolutionary anthropology, as well as archaeology as well since I'm doing joint, but some archaeological units are also available as an option to straight Anth students. I think if you're not sure try looking at the course structure for all of the courses you have applied to, to see which units you'd like to choose and what those units consist of in terms of subject matter and how they're assessed. This can be a good way to decide what you want to do. If you have any more questions about Bristol, I'm happy to answer them

Thank you so much! This is really really useful. Wow looking at the units in particular I think I might be more interested into archeology than I first thought as it looks as though it involves more of the science. I think I might email the unis to see their flexibility about changing to anth and arc. Again, thank you so much!
Reply 4
Thank you, this definitely makes UCL and Durham sound like the interesting options. I can definitely see about the importance at looking into modules. Unfortunately most of the uni courses seem pretty similar from an overview. Ah its going to be a close call to make.
Original post by artful_lounger
Which specific course(s) did you apply to at each of those universities? UCL for example has Social Anthropology, Arch & Anth, and Human Sciences, which all have slightly different emphases in course content (although a fair bit of overlap as well).

Exeter does have some emphasis on the physical/biological anthropology to my understanding (we had some of our EE lectures in their department, they definitely have a lot of skulls and stuff lying around). UCL obviously a lot of biological anthropology and human sciences related options, seeing as they're one of the few universities in the country with a human sciences degree. I know Durham has arch & anth but I don't know to what extent it involves the biological anthropology and archaeological science aspects (I imagine there should be at least some options, and they may well be patterned after Oxford's course which is essentially a tripartite degree between archaeology, social anthropology, and biological anthropology).

I'd suggest you go through the module/paper offerings for each course and read through any syllabuses (or reading lists, if possible!) to get an idea of how much you can tailor the course to your interests in that area, and how much the course lies in that realm to begin with (before choosing options).
Hi, did you email? I actually did the exact same thing when I first applied and they were really chill about changing my application. I think there aren't as many people on arch and anth so they're very happy to welcome new people. A lot of archaeology is the processes around it, so the processes for excavating and analysis, and you learn (what I think is more fun stuff) like actual ancient civilisations or human evolution in other units, but its still really helpful. If you're not entirely sure about changing, I think some of the optional units on straight anth still offer some archaeology like Evolution in Action, Africa, etc. With archaeology at Bristol as well you go on a dig at the end of first and second year, which is actually really fun and you end up making loads of friends on the course.
Original post by Mogpalmer
Thank you so much! This is really really useful. Wow looking at the units in particular I think I might be more interested into archeology than I first thought as it looks as though it involves more of the science. I think I might email the unis to see their flexibility about changing to anth and arc. Again, thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending