The Student Room Group

Confused about my career future

I've been on and off this forum for past few years now, changing my mind on different careers I would like to do like medicine, engineering, mathematics but I can never keep to one.

I've already screwed up my life in some way as I am taking a 3rd year at college studying a-levels in geography, maths and biology. So I don't really want to be doing foundation years but if completely necessary I will, however, I don't know how to limit and cut down my options to what I really like.

My favourite subject is biology/maths and my least is geography (really liked it at GCSE, hate it at a-level). I love science and reading up about it and blabbing about information and articles to other people such as genetic modifications that have occurred or about black holes or going through different systems in the body and why different things happen inside us. But I just don't know what to do with my life apart that I am not keen on research at all, I'd rather a in the field job with decent career progression.

If anyone could shed a little bit of light on my current situation I'd be very thankful.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by JamalH

So if you are taking a 3rd year to get A levels, you aren't cut out for medicine, so you can scrap that - at least as a Doctor. Nursing or paramedic might be possible.

Engineering might be possible, but you will have to look at Uni entrance requirements, because you've only got maths as a facilitating subject.

Doing a maths degree without further maths, and supported only by biology and geography? Seems unlikely, but it might be possible, again, look at Uni courses and see what their requirements are.

You need to think/research much more broadly - you are thinking the equivalent of 'I need to take up a sport - so football, rugby or cricket?' when you may have the skill set for wind-surfing or chess or rock-climbing.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
So if you are taking a 3rd year to get A levels, you aren't cut out for medicine, so you can scrap that - at least as a Doctor. Nursing or paramedic might be possible.

Engineering might be possible, but you will have to look at Uni entrance requirements, because you've only got maths as a facilitating subject.

Doing a maths degree without further maths, and supported only by biology and geography? Seems unlikely, but it might be possible, again, look at Uni courses and see what their requirements are.

You need to think/research much more broadly - you are thinking the equivalent of 'I need to take up a sport - so football, rugby or cricket?' when you may have the skill set for wind-surfing or chess or rock-climbing.

Looking into different options would biomedical science leading to medicine be an option?

In terms of engineering I’ve looked at requirements and civil and electrical only require maths at many universities.

For maths the college has offered for me to do AS further maths which could be an option for the future?

I don’t understand what you mean about thinking more broadly, do you have any ideas of what I could do potentially look into? And how do I actually find out from these options which one would suit me, I’m so confused I’m never gonna figure out what I want to do.
Original post by JamalH
Looking into different options would biomedical science leading to medicine be an option?

Probably not a realistic one

Original post by JamalH
In terms of engineering I’ve looked at requirements and civil and electrical only require maths at many universities.

Then great, look more closely at them

Original post by JamalH
For maths the college has offered for me to do AS further maths which could be an option for the future?

Yes, take that option, it will help with engineering as well

Original post by JamalH
I don’t understand what you mean about thinking more broadly, do you have any ideas of what I could do potentially look into? And how do I actually find out from these options which one would suit me, I’m so confused I’m never gonna figure out what I want to do.

Use your school careers service, use Google intelligently to find out about careers, when you get to Uni use their careers service.

There are thousands of different careers, there are about 20 different types of Dr and engineer alone. Marketing, sports, theatre, retail, manufacturing, building, law, road building, consultancy, arts, museums, education - there are dozens of different jobs in dozens of different sectors.
You could look into Bioengineering/Biomedical Engineering.
Perfectly combines engineering with medicine. You will get the best of both worlds. It’s a new field so you’ll be in demand and it’s progressing very rapidly.
It will be also contain a solid amount of mathematics due to the engineering aspects. For most unis you need Maths a Science as well.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by mohdk2001
Perfectly combines engineering with medicine. You will get the best of both worlds. It’s a new field so you’ll be in demand and it’s progressing very rapidly.
It will be also contain a solid amount of mathematics due to the engineering aspects. For most unis you need Maths a Science as well.

I did look at that a little bit but I get very confused what jobs I could get? And I’ve heard that it’s hard to get jobs within the sector so would biomedical engineering help with any other career at all?
Reply 6
Original post by mohdk2001

I did look at that a little bit but I get very confused what jobs I could get? And I’ve heard that it’s hard to get jobs within the sector so would biomedical engineering help with any other career at all?

Original post by threeportdrift
Probably not a realistic one

Then great, look more closely at them

Yes, take that option, it will help with engineering as well

Use your school careers service, use Google intelligently to find out about careers, when you get to Uni use their careers service.

There are thousands of different careers, there are about 20 different types of Dr and engineer alone. Marketing, sports, theatre, retail, manufacturing, building, law, road building, consultancy, arts, museums, education - there are dozens of different jobs in dozens of different sectors.

Thank you for your help! And for being honest with this stuff it does help :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by JamalH
I've been on and off this forum for past few years now, changing my mind on different careers I would like to do like medicine, engineering, mathematics but I can never keep to one.

I've already screwed up my life in some way as I am taking a 3rd year at college studying a-levels in geography, maths and biology. So I don't really want to be doing foundation years but if completely necessary I will, however, I don't know how to limit and cut down my options to what I really like.

My favourite subject is biology/maths and my least is geography (really liked it at GCSE, hate it at a-level). I love science and reading up about it and blabbing about information and articles to other people such as genetic modifications that have occurred or about black holes or going through different systems in the body and why different things happen inside us. But I just don't know what to do with my life apart that I am not keen on research at all, I'd rather a in the field job with decent career progression.

If anyone could shed a little bit of light on my current situation I'd be very thankful.

What grades are you aiming at? Why are you doing a third year?

Have you looked into maths/ stats related careers such as medical statistics?
Reply 8
Original post by ajj2000
What grades are you aiming at? Why are you doing a third year?

Have you looked into maths/ stats related careers such as medical statistics?

Aiming for between ABB - AAA.

I'm doing a third year as I chose art subjects when entering college and soon instantly regretted this but didn't ask to change since end of year.

And no I haven't really looked into many maths related careers as nothing really catches my attention.
Original post by JamalH

Hi there,

You describe a situation a lot of people find themselves in, I understand how difficult it can be to decide upon a career path.

I am unsure as to what you have tried so far but you might find out Skills Health Check a good starting point for matching your skills and interests to career sectors - http://bit.ly/2DZHhzI

After taking the test you might find it useful to research the different ideas it has given you using our job profiles - http://bit.ly/2DkzJq0

You could also give the SACU website a try as it has a useful tool that matches your A-level subjects to different careers and degree subjects - https://sacu-student.com/?page_id=5203

Research can be time consuming but a well informed decision is often the right one, you've had some good advice on this thread already and researching degree courses through UCAS and the entry requirements is also a good place to start.

I hope those resources help, if you have further questions we are always happy to help.

Thanks - Sophie.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending